144 HZ monitor worth it for WoW?

I’m currently gaming on a 1440p monitor at 60hz. I’ve been interested in upgrading to a 1440p 144hz monitor, especially with all the benefits of the added frame rate. Anyone here play on a 144 hz monitor? Is there a big difference compared to 60hz?

You notice a difference, but not much. If your system can keep that frame rate going then by all means do it. There would be more benefits for other games, but you get the point.

2 Likes

Yep. You’ll see a lot more of a difference in more fast-paced games. WoW’s too slow for you to get much benefit from a higher refresh rate.

2 Likes

144hz is not needed for wow, but I really like the feel of the game when spinning the camera around with that high refresh rate. I’ve had a 144hz monitor for a few years now, and when I occasionally see a game at 60hz you really do notice the time between frames. Try to get a model that has G-sync or is a “G-sync compatible” Freesync monitor. The variable refresh rate is a key feature for this type of monitor.

If you don’t spin the camera around much you won’t really notice a difference in wow, however if you play other games it may be totally worth it. Just know once you get used to 144hz it will be hard to go back to 60.

1 Like

Yes, but only if she has an Nvidia card. If she’s using an AMD card, she’ll want to look for just Freesync instead.

1 Like

WoW will look a bit crisper on 144hz, but it’s nothing compared to the difference between 60 and 144hz for FPS games.

If you only play WoW I wouldn’t bother personally upgrading, but you do you

1 Like

G-sync is Nvidia only

“G-sync compatible” Freesync monitors work with Nvidia or AMD GPUs

Yes, but if she has an AMD card why would she want to limit herself to the ~20 certified G-sync compatible screens when any Freesync one will work?

I play other games as well such as DOOM, Witcher 3, some other single player titles like Bioshock. Was looking at getting the BenQ EX3203R monitor.

Because not all Freesync monitors are created equal, and the monitors that Nvidia has deemed “G-sync compatible” have most if not all of the benefits of a regular “G-sync” monitor. Also, the list of G-sync compatible monitors is way more than 20:

More info on G-sync Compatible:

G-SYNC Compatible testing validates that the monitor does not show blanking, pulsing, flickering, ghosting or other artifacts during VRR gaming. They also validate that the monitor can operate in VRR at any game frame rate by supporting a VRR range of at least 2.4:1 (e.g. 60Hz-144Hz), and offer the gamer a seamless experience by enabling VRR by default.

Excerpt from: