Accessibility Ideas for Deaf Players

Hi, guys. I’ve been tossing around a couple ideas in my mind for a good while, and I wanted to share with you all and get your thoughts.

Let’s establish the premises first – the goal of my post here is to propose ideas which would serve to equalize the playing grounds where deaf and hearing impaired players are concerned.

(Disclaimer: When I use “deaf,” I usually mean players who are severely-to-profoundly deaf, whereas with “hearing impaired,” I mean players with any kind of hearing loss.)

I am not trying to make the game “easy” for deaf players. I am not trying to “get the stuff handed” to us. What I am trying to do is think up equative alternatives to the existing tools that hearing players already have.

And without further ado, here we go…

Idea One:

Generally, hearing players can play the game with sounds on. These sounds can serve as alerts – the players would hear a warning about a situation that is occurring nearby, or even hear certain sounds which signal that a mob is close by.

Sound is a large part of the environmental awareness in the game, and for deaf and hearing impaired players, not being able to hear the sounds means they miss out on a lot of the alerts and warnings that hearing players take for granted.

So I got to thinking how Blizzard could possibly create an alternate system of warning that would be roughly equal to the sounds without “making it too easy” for players, and I was inspired by the relatively-recent addition to the base UI – screen flashing at low health.

This option is currently toggle-able through the Interface section in the game menu, and this is what leads me to believe that Blizzard is capable of modifying the existing technology to apply to various forms of alerts.

Currently, our screen flashes red when we’re low on health. But what’s stopping Blizzard from adding an option where the screen flashes, let’s say, blue when we’re low on mana?

Or flash yellow when a raid-wide warning gets thrown up (e.g., “Fire on the ground! Move or you will burn!”) – I’m talking about the default warnings that comes with the game itself, not the warnings typed up by raid leaders.

Really, there’s a whole plethora of colors, and it doesn’t have to stop at colors. Blizzard could also modify the intensity and frequency of the screen flashing. Blizzard could also give us – that is, deaf and hearing impaired players – the option to choose which alerts we want.

I only gave a couple small examples for my first idea, but I hope I’m clear enough. If you happen to think of another example, or have questions about this, I would love to hear them!

Idea Two:

The second idea that I have was the result of my pondering about the nature of voice chat (such as Vent and Discord). Normally, hearing raiders would use voice chat to communicate with each other almost immediately during raiding – and this increases their environmental awareness. A raider can call out to his teammates, “Mob incoming!” And he can give the approximate location of the said mob. His team instantly knows to respond to this new threat.

Deaf players don’t have this advantage. Not every hearing impaired player can use voice chat; some players would have just enough hearing that they can hear some spoken words through voice chat, but this is not an one-shoe-size-fits-all situation. Generally, it’s safe to assume that deaf and hearing impaired players would not use voice chat.

This means deaf raiders are not able to respond as quickly to threats, nor can they alert each other as quickly – they communicate through typing! This means they have to take their hands off the keybinds and stop attacking in order to type out “MOB BEHIND” or something like that.

So I got to thinking, ‘What kind of alternative is there that can get around this without making it too easy?’

And then the answer came to me: Waypoint markers!

In Shadowlands, Blizzard added a new feature known as “In Game Navigation.” This is, essentially, a waypoint marker. So we know that the technology already exists.

My idea is that Blizzard could build onto this existing feature and add multiple waypoint markers, one for each target marker. So if the raid leader throws up the Blue Square on a mob, then the Blue Square waypoint marker will appear as well. This will both alert the deaf raiders and give them the approximate location.

(They will still need to do a little work to pinpoint the mob exactly; the waypoint marker is not 100% accurate, but neither is voice chat. So this is why I felt that this is an appropriate comparison.)

My vision of this is that this option would be toggle-able – deaf raiders can choose to turn on ‘Target Marker Waypoints,’ or something like that. And multiple waypoint markers can pop up – so if the raid leader marked one mob with the Green Triangle and another with the Yellow Star, then both waypoint markers would show up.

So why these ideas?

I know that there are addons which already provide similar function (e.g., WeakAuras), but there are a few downsides to having to depend on addons – for one, deaf raiders have to wait until the addon creators update their addons for the latest raid, and for two, addons can be a burden on some players; addons eat up memory, after all! For players with older or cheaper computers, running addons is not such an easy task.

These are just the first two of ideas I have. I’m eager to hear your feedback! My ideas are in their rough-draft state, that’s for sure. I’d love to hone them, so please share your thoughts!

(One final thing: Sooner or later – about a week or two – I will also post my thoughts on raid bosses and their mechanisms. A few raid bosses over the past couple expansions have been extremely unfriendly toward deaf players, and I’d like for Blizzard to keep this in mind when designing future raid bosses.)

35 Likes

Ive always thought they should add a HUD element to let people who are deaf know about CC on other party/raid members for PvP

12 Likes

Oooh, I like that idea!

I know my friend whos deaf really struggles with rogues cuz he cant hear the stealth noise when they get too close

11 Likes

I’m color blind and really, really appreciate the accommodation for that for sure.

When I was in university I was a resident advisor in a mixed deaf/hearing dorm and ended up learning a little sign language and lip reading along the way but also was exposed to a lot of things. For instance the fire alarms in the building also had strobe lights and alarm clocks would make the bed shake and so forth.

I also play WoW with no sound and have become used to the visual ques in the game (there is almost always a visual que for everything). It occurs to me though, that like the color blindness system a haptic/tactile device support would be really interesting (even for hearing people!)

An example of some PC haptic systems:

https://www2.razer.com/au-en/concepts/project-hypersense

7 Likes

There’s sounds that alert you to things?

News to me, since I am also deaf.

6 Likes

Yes! Apparently rogues make a sound when they enter stealth. I read about that years and years ago back in, like, WotLK.

It’s… frustrating… when you realize how many things deaf players don’t even know about in the game due to a lack of (so far!) accessibility.

8 Likes

also makes a sound when they get too close which my deaf friend also didnt know

7 Likes

I actually play WoW with the sound off after the first few months of an expansion (I have very sensitive hearing and wear earplugs all the time apart from when I shower), so although I’m not deaf, I do understand the annoyance of not having audio cues, as they’re used in a shocking amount of things in this game. I have to turn on the sound when I PvP for example, for the reason above, you can hear a rogue/druid/hunter stealthing near you. It only lasts a second, but it gives you an indicator you need to be prepared.

I don’t know why, but I always thought there was an accessibility option for that. More accessibility is always a good thing.

Another thing to note is you can hear when a druid shapeshifts into one of their forms around you that isn’t in your sight. They make a noise, that’s distinctive to each form. That’s another thing that would probably be helpful to have a UI element, even just a text pop up that says “Cat Form” or such.

Also to note, nothing would be stopping people who can hear from turning on those visual cues, so for the people who might scream it’ll give deaf/hard of hearing people an advantage - it wouldn’t, you’d just have double the advantage they do because you have the option to also have the audio cues.

I won’t say anything else just cause I don’t feel this is really my place to comment, just wanted to say that accessibility options are important, and bring up the shapeshift thing too.

8 Likes

Please don’t let this stop you from commenting.

This applies to all the folks reading this.

Please don’t think you “don’t have a place” in this discussion. You all bring unique perspectives and ideas that I won’t ever think of!

Not to mention, you guys know what sounds the game has, and I DON’T know what I’m missing! Because I don’t know what I don’t know, I won’t know to mention it, let alone ask for it. So please jump in!

10 Likes

Ive always thought raid markers recently placed should have an option for being put on the minimap or even a HUD arrow to show which way they placed

4 Likes

That’s the same idea as my waypoint marker, if I’m understanding this right.

I’m also not opposed to the minimap idea. The only downside to that one is that the minimap is tucked away in the corner, far from the center of action on the screen. But I do like the idea!

Nothing says that we can’t have both, after all. :grin:

Yeah and you can always move and increase the size of the minimap with addons which I think have really saved alot of people who hate default UI

1 Like

Yes, you can. But I’m more interested in accessibility ideas for the default UI, because addons can be a burden for some players…

On this topic, there’s a chest in Zereth Mortis:

It requires being able to hear in order to complete without looking up a guide or taking forever.

Clicking on the shield around the chest plays a tune. Around the room are 4 objects that play a single note of that tune. You have to play them in the order of the tune.

However, if you fail, you have to start over, and it stuns you temporarily.

So in the worst case scenario, there’s 24 possible outcomes. (Though the wowhead comments say others needed 5 tunes to complete it, this increases it exponentially to 120 different combinations.

It doesn’t help the chest is bugged for most people right now and won’t open regardless.

Yes, you can look up how to do it, but that’s not really promoting accessibility.

5 Likes

Not saying its not an issue, but I didn’t even use the shield to play the tune. I didn’t see a way to check the tune of the objects aside from clicking on them, so whether you use the sound or not its trial and error - unless I missed something.

I certainly did it by trial and error.

1 Like

I did too cause I didn’t want to turn on my sound lol.

But it took a lot longer than it should have.

3 Likes

I found that chest on the first (and only) night I’ve been able to play in ZM.

Naturally, the very first thing I did after unlocking Haven was go explore the map. Explored most of the caves I found, and I found this.

I noticed the four little altars and clicked on them. Got knocked down with three of them, and didn’t get knocked down with the fourth.

At this point I realized it was a sound-based puzzle. I deliberated for a moment whether to take my time and unlock the chest by trial and error — mind you, I’m assuming that the sequence does NOT reset or change after I make a mistake — before I ultimately decided to hold off onto that for another night.

And, truthfully? As long as the pattern does NOT change whenever I make a mistake — if it remains the same — then I don’t mind figuring it out by trial and error.

The funny thing is, while I’m sure that some (if not many) deaf players would be annoyed by this chest… it actually doesn’t bother me! But that’s because I watched the announcement for this patch, where the devs said a big feature was this musical language they developed. So I already knew that music and sounds were gonna be important in this patch. So I’m actually relieved there’s only one sound-based puzzle with a relatively simple sequence.

3 Likes

Gonna drag this thread back up, because I’ve got a new suggestion:

Deaf players often rely on /say to communicate in emergency situations in raids. In fact, for Undaunted’s raid team, it’s mandatory for all of our raiders to have speech bubbles enabled.

The problem is this: We have three Shadow Priests and they occasionally have to type something in /say, only to have it be Void gibberish that nobody can read.

It’s a cool little flavor addition, but it’s frustrating when you’re trying to communicate. Some type of item allowing players to understand Void speak or a Glyph for Priests to disable their own Void speak would be greatly appreciated.

7 Likes

This is a great callout. After discussing with the team, we’d like to look into changing this in a future patch. Our current thought is that priests in Voidform would no longer speak in Shath’Yar by default, but we’d also add a glyph so that players who like the flavor can still opt in to it.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback!

18 Likes