Accessibility Ideas for Deaf Players

Can we have something similar for Curse of Tongues landing on a player? For mind control raid mechanics.

This pretty much means I’m going to have to beg shadow priests to not take that glyph, and if they don’t want to, I’m out of luck anyway.

Please just let us anchor UI elements to players, without having nameplates enabled, this will solve so many issues.

I easily get visual information overload, so I want to be able to finely tune what I see on my screen. In the current scenario with things like 3…2…1 above players for mechanics, I need to enable bubbles. However, this also means I constantly get spammed with things I don’t want to see, such as “[player-realm] interrupted [spell]”.

I’m constantly fighting information overload and it would be so much better if I could control what I see, rather than others controlling what I see.

4 Likes

Interestingly, one of the most common addons for announcing interrupts, Raeli’s Spell Announcer, was created specifically because one of the addon author’s friends is deaf and was having trouble following cooldown usage.

There are definitely more elegant ways to handle things that these days, such as WeakAuras that show the remaining cooldown on party member’s interrupts, although Undaunted does still find RSA’s announcements useful in certain scenarios.

The upcoming UI overhaul in Dragonflight provides a good opportunity to bake some of that functionality into the base UI by allowing us to track specific cooldowns by our teammates, which would make announcement addons redundant.

2 Likes

These days you can use addons like OmniCD to track people’s cooldowns, so it shouldn’t be a necessity anymore. I understand why it exists, but in this case one person’s accessibility is causing issues for someone else, and it’s a recurring theme here. Accessibility shouldn’t have to rely on the goodwill of others.

1 Like

Sorry to bump an old thread. Looks like this is back while in Void Form though. Doesn’t seem intended because of the reason for it’s removal.

I’m a hard of hearing player and I find this all so helpful, one thing I would love to see added, would have to be a mod though, is closed captioning on my wow screen from people in discord. I have the hardest time, especially when there’s more then 1 person talking (that NEVER happens in discord right??!!??). If youtube can do live captioning, surely a modder could! That’s my dream anyways, I know if I could mod I’d try my hardest to make this!

I’m excited to see this, Blizzard!

Can’t wait to see how it works out with the deaf guilds. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

There’s one thing I’ve been meaning to praise Blizzard for…

The massively improved closed captioning in their cutscenes and cinemas! I’ve been greatly impressed with the closed captioning this expansion.

You guys even include the sound effects! Like “[character] snorts derisively.”

That never happens. It genuinely blew my mind when I saw it because firstly, I didn’t know that piece of information existed in the first place and because secondly, Blizzard actually took the effort to add that!

Sincerely… thank you, Blizzard. This might be a relatively small thing, but I really appreciate your massively-improved closed captioning.

4 Likes