Introducing the World of Warcraft Community Council

Well, I filled it out.

And I was honest about the last question. I can’t provide links to guides or videos I’ve made, machinimas, cosplays, or anything like that.

However, I basically said that if you are only planning on taking people that CAN provide such things, you’re (Blizzard) not going to get the kind of feedback you really NEED from the community.

Honest discussion requires hearing the negatives as well as the positives, and I think if they only take content creators of various types, they are only going to create an echo chamber in which they only hear what they want to hear and not any sort of meaningful feedback.

So… wish me luck? :rofl:

9 Likes

the fact that they require ‘contributions’ to the community means they have eliminated casuals - casuals are not so wrapped up in the community to stream, etc.

7 Likes

No, but they aren’t accepting “all” of anyone. I would expect they take some casusals, some hardcore, and some cutting-edge. I put hardcore, but I don’t expect to get picked; but I’m sure someone that shares my viewpoint will. And I hope that if you don’t get picked, they have someone that fills your point of view as well.

We don’t really agree with many things on the forums, but I think both of us should have a say in the evolution of the game.

1 Like

The why is what matters here, especially if it’s presented in a way that isn’t “you don’t know what you’re doing” - which has sadly happened in the past, and is why so many people harbour animosity right now, myself included.

I know in the past, stuff like player housing, also had a why attached to it’s denial, but in modern MMORPGs, such features actually put people out into the world because they’re busy doing stuff for their housing. These sorts of discussions do need to be reopened without fast dismissal like what’s happened in the past.

I’m trying to hold out hope here though.
I think it really is just going to come down to who gets in, just as much as the devs listen to them.

No, not ALL. Watch the video they posted though. They are looking for people that do all kinds of content. There will be at least a few casual/solo players in that forum somewhere (at least according to them).

Updated the list of examples with “Steam, website, guides, gallery, videos, forum posts, feedback on game discussions, etc.”

Keep in mind these are just examples. It’s a fairly open question where you can list any kind of contributions to the community on whatever platform you like to use.

8 Likes

They don’t, that was a non-required field

1 Like

Should we fill out a new form if we previously did not include something there?

2 Likes

I mean this is geared towards influencers like asmongold and so forth going off the app in the link, not really for common players that want to share their opinions honestly. Like why not make it more open, over basically having to apply for a job it seems like seeing as the last set of questions are blatantly geared towards the types that make their lively hoods out of WoW. With the latter being mods and so forth of WoW related discords that mostly will only represent a small portion of the community overall. That you will be cherry picking at the end of it all which I’m unsure of how much of what will accomplish.

5 Likes

I missed my chance to grow my forum presence with an alt with a silly name. Councilman Ducksounds…ahh what could have been. (Ducksounds is my abandoned classic forsaken rogue)

1 Like

I believe thats an optional section, and its not an unreasonable question because it allows the person applying the chance to show ways they have contributed to the dialogues about the game in some form.

1 Like

lol - well you updated it after people already filled it out so can we go back and change it?

1 Like

Our feedback has rarely, if ever, been listened to in the beginning of this expansion.

I can respect this thought process, but with the way developers have approached player feedback in the past, how do we know that we will actually be heard?

What determines selection?

18 Likes

To get meaningful research data, most companies hire marketing research firms that specialize in that.

Will they select players that represent a broad range of how different segments of the community plays? Can they even listen to anyone who is not part of their preconceived notions of what the wow community should be?

4 Likes

Shoot.
I already replied. I could have pulled out some relevant stuff with the changes. Whoops.

Did you guys still have access to old Beta feedback? Or, at least the ability to see contributions were made? I don’t think me going “red eyes” over and over holds the same merit over a deep dive into Prestige rofl.

3 Likes

Sure, I get that, but the way the entire form reads, it comes across as you almost need to have contributed something to be considered.

I have lots of ideas I could give them. Just because I don’t have an active YouTube channel, or a blog, or a website of some sort doesn’t mean my opinions have any less merit than someone who has those things.

4 Likes

I hope that the majority of people picked for this council are not streamers, influences, or world first raiders. I’m not saying they shouldn’t be represented, they should absolutely be represented. But their day-to-day game sessions of 8 hours with the support of 1000+ viewers to do content with (carried or not) is not the same game play experience of the majority of the player base.

7 Likes

Ya, what’s up with this part?

Sounds SUSPICIOUSLY like they only looking for streamers, Youtubers, “famous” players, and MVPs :joy:

Shouldn’t it be the opposite as far as what they are looking for in potential candidates?

Why not pick just regular “everyday” casual players who are not big names/famous, but actually play the game daily in a “typical” manner? Seems to me that’s the player demographic you would want to collect feedback from (regular everyday players) :thinking:

20 Likes

This is a great question. Even though it’s not linkable because it’s not public, would be great to know if people could at least mention their beta contributions.

1 Like

I felt the same way, but I still applied. I’m a nobody. I don’t record myself for the internet. I’m not in any organized groups outside of game for WoW. I’m just a player who has been playing for a long time and who wants to see WoW stay strong. :slight_smile:

(Had I been thinking, I would have mentioned the two charity runs I was a part of, but I was a supporting role only. I wasn’t involved with organizing.)

I’m hoping they’re interested in the thoughts of the average person too… not just those loud online. If nothing else, the average people make up a lot bigger percentage of the player base than streamers. :slight_smile:

7 Likes