Current gearing systems are not casual friendly

Imagine that you want to have an affordable restaurant that doesn’t require a reservation, but has fairly good quality food and a clean healthy interior. You’d also like the service to be fairly quick so that you don’t have to wait too long.

Now imagine that what you got was exactly that, but you only have 10 minutes to enjoy each course of the meal. Appetizers come out, and the plate gets taken in 10 minutes whether you’re done or not. Main course comes out and it gets taken in 10 minutes whether you’re done or not. Dessert, as well.

The problem is that you got the restaurant you wanted (gear progression), but it happened so fast that you left feeling unsatisfied because it didn’t last long enough.

In a nutshell: people want progression and diversity in how they acquire gear, but gear acquisition is always the end game and we wanted it to last longer. When gear progression is the biggest end game content we’re doing, what happens when we’re done with it in a week or two given the content that we want to do?

In the past, that progression was slower, so it took longer, but it meant that the satisfying metric of “Investment” > “Reward” > “Investment” > “Reward” was more drawn out. Like a languid meal at a really nice restaurant where no one’s forcing you to leave. Now it’s just “EAT NOW. YOU’RE DONE!”

7 Likes

So because Blizzard gave you good gear, the easy stuff is too easy, but you don’t want to do the harder stuff? And you are blaming Blizzard for this?

3 Likes

I have a solution: A Blizzard employee can follow you around for a while to determine if you are a “casual.” And if they determine that you are, they will make sure you only get low level loot so that LFR will remain competitive. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The challenging end game is the only end game. This is where they are spending the mass of their time and resources-- they need for even us casuals to play to help justify the cost they sank into group content.

Gotta ask yourself …

Is this a leveling mmo or a mmo that makes you grind item levels.

Do you feel there are too many sources for rewards? I’m trying to understand exactly why you feel it is not casual friendly when you also list a bunch of areas that tend to be pretty accessible. Sure, if you are doing everything some of them might have no benefits, but often people with limited time aren’t able to do that.

With the limited and/or unpredictable playtime you mentioned, how long does it take you to clear all of those areas each week? Were you doing things like the faction assaults regularly and therefore didn’t have interest in LFR?

What content do you enjoy doing most (past or present)? Do you collect anything in particular?

Thanks for the input!

6 Likes

Do you [Blizzard] not feel like there are too many sources for rewards?

15 Likes

Yeah, they are nutty. I like my 392, just for existing.

3 Likes

But this is what people wanted /end sarcasm
The sheer amount of gear about and how most of it is irrelevant or meaningless it feels awkward and like a chore. why would a casual want to do LFR for 370 gear to still be behind the rest of the player base.
the badge system was fine for example it allowed people to get specific pieces of gear from doing content like heroics (mythics), and what do casuals really have to strive for anymore?
Gear doesnt mean anything due to how abundant it is forging removes the excitement out of gear. you level an alt to 120 and are still behind and end up in the same boat again.

6 Likes

It’s all accessible, except that you feel like you have to do all of them to do more than tread water on the gear curve. And the content that is truly “casual” (WQs, Raid Finder) don’t give much of anything anymore. Which…sucks! Players need a way to be done with the game in a given content cycle, and it feels like this is the core disconnect between players and developers in WoW.

2 Likes

They don’t want players to feel done in a given content cycle for fear that they’ll stop playing. Which is funny because all the catch-up gear is in place to help the thousands of alts people play level up, which means Blizzard knows people will make alts instead of flat out quit until the next content update.

3 Likes

I don’t understand your complaint at all to be honest - how are you defining casual ?

Blizzard can’t stop players from dipping in or out of WoW. The only thing they can do is make players not dip out of spite or frustration. Which has always been the goal, because good experiences make for repeat customers. Somewhere since WoD, Blizz devs have lost that plot and they didn’t use to cave to people complaining about there being nothing to do.

3 Likes

Gearing alts was good, till you killed the catch up mechanic in Warfronts with ilvl requirements.

Toss in that fact the gear on requires rep on vendors will never ever get used again because no one will ever reach exalted before out gearing the rep…

3 Likes

IMO, if someone is doing ALL of that in a week, that person is not a casual.
Most raid schedules require less time than that.

4 Likes

I think it’s less about the number of sources, but the randomness of sources. A player could, in theory, run every source for weeks and only see items for the same slot dropping, if anything drops for them at all. If you aren’t in a reliable group/guild that’s dedicated to pushing raid difficulties, M+ levels, or PvP rating, it can get to the point of being demoralizing, causing faster burnout on applicable content.

5 Likes

Items should be rewarded by putting in time and effort not just because. If you don’t have time to raid/m+ etc. you don’t need 400+ ilvl gear.

2 Likes

Every single post from Bornakk is just asking questions that almost always have completely obvious answers. These posts are just showing how out of touch devs are.

5 Likes

Do you realize very few players would be doing all that content so if they slowed down gearing for you, other players couldn’t play the way they wanted to and still make progress, i.e. the people who only wanted to do for instance heroic dungeons and LFR or just PvP.

If you read though the thread a few people including myself couldn’t figure out what OP was complaining about. A good question is a lot better than a bad assumption.