10K queues - How long is too long?

<5% will be no-lifing or even hardcore

No, layering will not directly help with login queues. Layering essentially allows each realm to have temporary sub-realms, or layers, which are copies of the whole world. This allows WAY more people than normal to login to each realm at the beginning, but there is still a maximum number of layers that will be created. I donā€™t know what that number is, but once theyā€™re full, queues start.

Herod has well over 10k more people than that maximum ā€œfullā€ number, so queues will quite large if everyone stays on Herod.

Woah.

Somebody should at least bring it up during the AMA.

5 seconds is too long. Blizz should have this figured out by now.

We can clone animals, blizz cant figure out login servers?

My estimation is admittedly based off of screenshots from the big ā€™get off Herodā€™ thread.

If you can find better data from a recent set of queues (the one I used was from WoF), Iā€™d be happy to use that.

You donā€™t understand the problem theyā€™re solving

1 Like

I took a look at the AMA, there were a few people asking Blizz how long they expect a 10k person queue to be. So, maybe there will be some answers once the AMA officially starts.

1 Like

Iā€™m not no-lifing, but I will still likely play for 4-5 hours the first night. People arenā€™t going to be logging in, doing a few world quests and then logging out. Play sessions will be fairly long for most people. Hence, queues will move slowly as people have to wait for someone in the game to be done and logout before theyā€™ll move up a spot in the queue.

What is this massive fetish for Herod? Why bother with big quenes when there will be servers with smaller ones?

I would think so as well. Which is why Iā€™m prepared to deal with a longer wait, since I plan on playing a bunch.

Itā€™s just at some point, I may have to draw a line. Unfortunately itā€™s prolly too late once you get in and get going. Itā€™s why I was curious.

Ouch, thatā€™s worse than the screenshot I was basing my calculations off of. Good news though, it seems thereā€™s some variance.

Bad news. if thatā€™s accurate, we could be talking 13-14 hour queues with 10k, let alone more.

I am not playing Herod, but during the last stress test I was about 1500 in line and was in in under 10 minutes

Sensible thing is to create another character on a different realm and decide on launch day which youā€™ll play. If Herod queues are awful, play the other realm. If Herod queues are within your ā€œI can deal with thisā€ range, then wait it out and play on Herod. Having options is always better than not having options.

I agree that the first night will be very rough, but very few people are going to be no-lifing the first week.

For starters, itā€™s a weekday and the number of people who will take time off from work to play a game is very small, although I have zero doubt that there are people doing this.

In addition, a huge number of subs right now are from retail players and almost none of them will be no-lifing the game. In fact, most of them will be immediately turned away by login queues because they are just mostly curious and will try again later.

I think some queues will be huge, like Herod, but thereā€™s no way theyā€™ll last as long as, for example, the login queues we saw at the start of the TBC launch. There were no tourists back then. Everyone stayed in the queue and waited their turn.

No relation really.

Itā€™ll be much different when people are logged in for hours as opposed to just logging in creating a character and logging out.

You are probably correct

Yeah, hard to know exactly just how long theyā€™ll be because it changes depending on how often people are logging out to make room. Iā€™d honestly expect the first week or so to be on the longer side of the wait times though since a lot of people are going to avoid logging off. After a week or two it should settle down into the shorter side, but probably still looking at 3-5 hours if itā€™s still hitting 10k queues.

Ultimately I think if queues look really bad on Herod during launch, a lot of people will bail and re-roll on a different realm. So in a sense, the queues will move faster due to people wanting to get in and play, even on a different realm.

Eh queues will happen.
Queues that large will only be on the one server that everyone expects everyone else to leave and as I have no interest in playing there it doesnā€™t bother me at all.

Yes, I agree 100%