10K queues - How long is too long?

What I would like to know is what exactly is the 10k referring to. Does it mean 10k accounts total on the realm? Does it mean 10k more than all of the server’s layers can contain at once?

It was absurd to toss out that 10k number without context.

That would be a good question for today’s AMA. Doubtful they’ll give the gritty little details, but still worth hearing what they would have to say.

Clearly the second option.

20K people on a server is full, but so is 80K. Guess which one has the longer queues?

Many players got the names they wanted to reserve within the first hour before it became too bloated. There is zero incentive to move and lose those names. May as well just leave those toons there, and wait till release and create additional characters with your available character slots.

No, that is precisely NOT clear. It could mean that their login servers still suck donkey balls and it involves a choked queue system to get everyone into the server.

I know they’re pinching pennies here, but why allow “massive overpopulation” to happen in the first place? Trying to kick people off isn’t a good counter-solution, and neither is a blanket warning about wait times.

All of this is just a testament to how popular we all knew it would be.

It doesn’t get any clearer than that.

This might help:

http://www.leagueofpirates.com/sirvival/queuedance.html

When they say a 10k queue, that means that the entire server (layers included) is completely full and there are 10k more trying to log in that are waiting in line.

Many here will state that they never capped stuff in the past. That is absurd reasoning and the definition of insanity.

Dude, the 10k queue is not in question. Perhaps actually reread my posts and slowly try to understand what I wrote.

I literally secured a name on Herod yesterday.

People are put in queues when the realm is full, so I’m not sure what is unclear.

[citation needed]

Because even if the population doesn’t drop at all after the first few weeks (a BIG if), the number of people playing at any given time will lower drastically.

Simply put, you might be willing to play 70 hours the first week, but you won’t play that much every week.

I’m hoping for a resurgence that has staying power. If that’s the case, queues could get old depending on just how long the wait will be.

Wait, I’m seeing some misunderstandings with what causes queues. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think there are two situations.

1. The queues will be long because all the layers of the server are fully occupied. If that is the case, then it becomes a one person log off one person log on type of situation. I don’t think this will be the case. (Except maybe Herod? don’t know.)

2. Login server throughput. The server which authenticates the player and put them in the actual server. This login and authentication process takes time and these servers can only process so many logins at the same time. This forms a bottle neck when everyone tries to log in at the same time.

I think for most cases, it is situation 2 that causes the queues and we just have to wait out the login server processing everyone. If for some reason it is situation 1, then it is really bad. So at least for me personally, if I see the queues drop at a steady rate, then I think it is situation 2 and I will stay on the server. If the queue is long and the position in line really stagnates, then it implies situation 1 and that’s when I will consider to switch servers.

1 Like

Doesn’t the system try to keep you on the same layer? Even after you log back in?

I don’t know if there is any type of placeholder code in place. There probably is for x amount of time, but not really sure how that works if the server is completely fully occupied and people are waiting to log in… :frowning: I really hope this will not be the case.