BC Timewalking Overtuned

Don’t show up and call people stupid if you’re not going to read. The title is supposed to catch your eye. You’re supposed to read the post.

Also, overtuned implies that it does not meet the standard of rewards. That’s why when a Heroic raid boss is too hard, people say it’s overtuned.

5 Likes

I did a random tw dungeon last night and it was honestly a straight up face roll.

Big pulls being aoe’d down, bosses melted. Did the whole thing in less than 15 minutes.

Nothing close to the horror stories being told here…

1 Like

As I mentioned, your title is counter descriptive to your post. There has literally been studies done on this when it comes to news stories. 60-70% of people just read the title of the story and don’t read the actual story. As you are so seeing, same goes with posting, people read your title, they don’t read your post before forming an opinion.

Write better thread titles is the moral here. My prediction is people will continue to comment on this without reading your stuff thinking you just whine about harder stuff. You aren’t going to change human nature. Adapt.

2 Likes

That’s called a bait and switch. It’s false advertising.

Your title is a part of what you wrote. Because of your false title, I inferred from your rant that in spite of you saying whining, “I actually like the difficulty” that you don’t actually like the difficulty.

Your fault. Not mine.

That said, the dungeons are only difficult if you make them difficult, which means they’re awarding gear appropriate to their difficulty assuming you’re running them correctly.

I mean, they were tough to learn back in TBC, but I ran them enough on my tank to farm up gear for Gruul’s lair and Karazhan back in '08 to learn them thoroughly. They’re only about as hard as current heroics, unless you try to run them like current heroics which are so face-roll easy you can multi-pull the whole dungeon and not worry about it.

They take longer. That’s the big difference.

1 Like

I think they take too long to do for a measly 385 piece of loot, although the 500 badges are nice for the first one done.

1 Like

Is every pack being a problem in every dungeon? Or is it certain dungeons that are causing issues? Are you using CC on the trash packs at all? Are you reading up on mechanics for bosses at all or just figuring it out?

Things like this will help us narrow down the causes and potential issues. I understand we play the game differently but charging into packs of mobs can go wrong at times… I know from experience. :smile:

46 Likes

From my experience, it’s just Arcatraz that’s overtuned. Trash only, not the bosses. The big eredar dudes, and the voidlords especially.

Since we’re on the topic, Blackrock Caverns is very overtuned also. Not just in Timewalking, but while leveling through it also. The 3rd boss (Karsh), and the trash around him are destructive.

8 Likes

Don’t play anymore, due to the such poor state of the game, but from what i remember all timewalking dungeons are overtuned, in particular trash mobs, bosses arent too bad. This is not news to anyone that has done timewalking the past year though since the 7.3.5 patch when it all got screwed up. Only difference being many are ok with the higher difficulty. Only problem is the rewards aren’t there for the increased difficulty, and it has made finding a group harder as not many bother to do it anymore.

8 Likes

This is still easy compared to what it was back then, but back then we had more abilities and even stats like parry to deal with these dungeons. This is still bad for what the average player expects from this, feels like m+7 keystones are harder and tank threat in general is hugely nerfed. Like i can’t even dot something on my priest 'cause i pull aggro. To think we are all scaled to the same level is kinda questionable. Waiting 10 seconds to actually dps is not fun.

Recent expansions have largely removed the need to ever use CC for anything but the very high end content. I imagine you’re catching a lot of players off guard by putting in (bringing back) content where it might be necessary to use CC instead of just using brute force or over gearing.

6 Likes

TW dungeons certainly aren’t hard, but I’ve had easier times healing M+ so get why people say it feels off.

6 Likes

I just completed the Timewalking weekly on this character and the only dungeon that stood out as challenging was The Alcatraz, the mob density was high (even waiting for patrolling packs didn’t help with some pulls) as well as the damage from the Demons before the second boss being higher than I expected.

I solved the problems with most pulls by using LOS to drag the full pack to me where I wasn’t worried about fear/CC from the mobs causing a chain-pull.

The Demons were just a challenge even one-on-one to tank, that was with Active Mitigation (IP and SB) active.

The only other mobs that could use some work are the Sunblade Sentinel(s) from Magister’s Terrace. I was rotating large Cood Downs (Shield Wall and Bolster talented Last Stand) to handle them and it barely made it.

3 Likes

My worst experience comes from Mana Tombs, I think it was.

There were a lot of mobs that can throw out silences, fears, etc. Just back to back to back. Spent nearly 10 seconds without control of my character once.

6 Likes

Queable content for one piece of normal mode bod gear shouldn’t require cc. Especially when matching players on classes that don’t have reliable cc.

I personally have not done timewalking yet, but the last time bc timewalking was up, black temple was way overtuned. Especially all the trash after the second boss.

8 Likes

The mobs to be worried about ther are the Etherials with shields, every time they are engaged in combat they will stun the ‘engager’; and the large void elementals, they pulse a ~15yrd aoe silence.

I can solve most of the problems in Mana Tombs as a tank by abusing LOS to make the caster mobs come to me and setting the group up to just AoE them down.

The only difficult pulls after that are the 1st and last boss, their entire rooms need to be cleared or the trash pulls with the boss.

No group I was in today lacked access to at least 1 CC option.

4 Likes

Between the tuning from 7.3.5, and now the ilvl scaling introduced, I have not done a single TW dungeon. They are nothing like the fun times we had doing them back before 7.3.5 in Legion.

It was all a matter of fun=bad, and they nerfed the fun right out of them.

I can make this statement with 100% certainty, theres FAR fewer players doing TW than there were before 7.3.5.

Every single person I know that’s still around(like 3 people) all quit doing them after that patch.

11 Likes

While there are specific pulls that are doing far more damage than seems appropriate (crab packs in slave pens perhaps due to the armor debuff) that’s not the central issue.

The issue is more the intent behind the difficulty. Do you mean for timewalking to be like a mythic dungeon? or is it supposed to be a fun/easy thing (like most lfg content). Given the scale of the rewards I’d think the dungeons should feel about on par with normals, and they generally don’t, especially not for tanks/healers, even ones who know what they’re doing.

I’m divided on the issue. I wouldn’t mind there being mythic timewalking or whatever. But this is not lfg friendly content. in my humble opinion.

25 Likes

1: That’s because I wasn’t in the group. I don’t consider quaking palm and intimidating shout as reliable cc. Nor a dps dk’s death grip. Or will we go back to giving advice about having to throw on a sword and shield and pressing taunt?

2: This is irrelivent because the end reward is the equilovlent of world quest item level gear. The difficulty doesn’t match the reward.

8 Likes

The times we needed CC (Rays in Steamvents) we had a Hunter and a Monk in the group. Between Paralasys and Ice Trap we were fine for CC.

As the tank I could move the enemies around with LoS to gather them up, combine that with not pulling too fast or multiple groups and each of the instances were fine.

I posted above with direct examples of enemy units that were overtuned imo but besides exceptions the best thing I did was control the pace and the packs I was pulling.

2 Likes