What mistakes have you made in vanilla, that you'll try to avoid now?

Mine was not utilizing the economy to my advantage. Instead of selling the stack of linen for 20s, I’d vendor it for copper, then buy the bags off the trade goods vendor.

A big part of that was not having anyone who was experience to play with and show me the ropes. Haha!

6 Likes

WoW was my first MMO. I didn’t have a clue as to what I was doing. I was in awe of the world and the fact I was playing an RPG where I could see other peoples toons running around. I played all different classes (all low levels) and when I saw an Epic piece of gear on another character I was like “Whoa look at those stats!”. Found out you can “Raid” and get Epic loot so I decided to level a healer for a Raid guild. By this time guilds were already in AQ and I have not even seen the inside of MC yet. So yea, I will have a primary toon and maybe an alt after I hit 60.

1 Like

Plate repair costs were no joke. :cry:

Buying every new skill rank as soon as it was available is definitely up there with respect to being able to afford mounts.

Or trying to level as prot outside of dungeons. =/

rolled a dps paladin main, never got to do anything except solo stuff (like the mount)

never again

2 Likes

Oh good Lord, this. Also, not using downranked spells.

2 Likes

I had a bit of a similar experience. With how much we’ve all learned over the years I think we have a better idea on how to group with like-minded people and get to doing content together instead of just solo-ing random quests out in the wilds for months.

18 Likes

Starting the game in WoD. When I originally signed up for wow, I signed up to play a game like vanilla, but that game was sadly long gone. Had I know they were to come out with classic servers I would have waited to start wow instill they came out with them. I won’t make the same mistake again, should they take the RPG out of classic like they did with retail by putting stuff in like pay to win, I will quit it the game right then and there.

Grinding and items don’t make an RPG, quality interactions between players and the game does.

1 Like

Indeed. I played a lot of Vanilla, but it was rather…unfocused. Just mostly a bunch of alts doing quests here and there. A lot of twinking though. I also played with like three different groups of friends on three different servers, so I could never commit to a single character. Which is a big goal of mine in Classic. Not saying I’m going at it super hardcore, but I want to concentrate on one main and accomplish as much as I can with that character.

3 Likes

skinning/leatherworking on my vanilla Paladin lulz…

I WAS SO PISSED I COULDN’T EQUIP FINKLE’S SKINNER AND SKIN THE MOLTEN CORE HOUNDS OR ONYXIA!!!

8 Likes

Biggest mistake I made when I started was being impulsive with my money and blowing it all on things I didn’t need and always being broke. Learned my lesson pretty fast with that, and have always strived to set aside more gold than I need and am pretty picky with what I spend it on.

4 Likes

Biggest mistake I remember making was not putting all my talents in the same tree. I’d just spend them in whatever sounded best based on what was available to me. A friend at school asked me what spec I was playing. After laughing histarically for a bit he told me to reset my talents and try again.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, rolling need over greed because I thought greed was the worse of the two (I’m not greedy, but would like that thing if nobody else is greedy for it) derp…

And I remember somebody once asked me if I wanted to group up to do some “farming” and I replied that I’d rather go kill stuff. I thought he meant planting rutabagas or something. Years later I would laugh so hard when I saw the tillers in MOP

8 Likes

I did quite a few of the mistakes other people pointed out here. I rolled a paladin and at first I started throwing talents around to whatever looked like a useful skill. Shortly after that I got a free respec because they had revise the paladin class. I decided to go ret, but ran around with a 1h and shield until level 40 where I decided a 2h would be a better option for me. I almost blew 60-70 on an epic 1h sword at one point because I wanted a purple item so badly. Before I could buy it someone bought it and relisted it much higher on the AH and I couldn’t afford it. They actually did me a favor. I also remember spending 100 gold on Destiny when I was close to 60 because I was jealous of another Paladin I saw with it. This time around I know much more about the game and I’ll have to conserve my money to eventually buy my epic mount. I’ll also have a much better idea of how to spec and equip my character this time around.

1 Like

Well I made a number of mistakes, but the one that stalled my leveling the most was not knowing for the first few weeks that there was an Auction House.

I had blacksmithing/mining, but besides that I vendored everything, and supplemented my gear with vendor whites. Oh, and talents? Ya, there were a lot of those I couldn’t afford until later. Boy was I a happy camper when I found out I could sell a stack of 20 copper ore for 75 silver on the AH :slight_smile:

As a warlock, I picked up blacksmithing because I thought I would learn the skill to equip mail gear at a higher level…

It was a long time ago.

4 Likes

Actually, in Alpha and first part of Beta locks could wear leather armor, so it’s not too much of a stretch to think they would get a mail upgrade.

I’ll do my best to avoid paying out on the AH, so I can afford my mount at level 40 this time.

I leveled holy priest solo, questing. I didn’t do any dungeons. It took me so long to level.

3 Likes

Destiny actually dropped for me while I was about level 54. I loved that sword

2 Likes

I’ll do my best not to rub it in that I get a free mount at level 40. Dang, I think I failed at it already. :slight_smile:

2 Likes