Is Classic WoW Dead Now?

Is classic WoW dead now that ActiBlizz is vetting all of their employees? Think it will still happen?

3 Likes

There’s too much hype for it. I don’t think, even in a profit standpoint, Activision would willingly take the lose of bringing back subs.

1 Like

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Someone didn’t read any of the articles about the layoffs, I see.

No it’s not dead. And this belongs in the Classic forum.

6 Likes

The problem is that those articles say that the layoffs haven’t affected developers. But we now know this to be untrue. At least three people that we know of have been laid off from the WoW team. We don’t know who else has been axed, and we don’t know which projects have been “de-prioritized.”

It’s just a mess right now.

5 Likes

Tbh, I think a good chance of it getting cancelled so they can put resources towards new IP

3 Likes

Hey, I’m happy so long as we get classic and the new worgen models.

Art team affected or do we know yet? Hope not. Those folks have been killing it.

A lot to of the people missed that part of the conference call. They are depriortizing underperforming projects and games.

1 Like

I wonder if some employees that were fired are prevented from saying anything for a set amount of time so as to not negatively impact stock prices. I also think this was just the initial round of lay offs.

2 Likes

We don’t know. We may never know because NDAs are a thing.

3 Likes

Which causes me great concern. Even before this announcement, HotS and Starcraft had already been de-prioritized in terms of dev size and content release, which was fine because they weren’t cash cows. But does this mean they are going to be de-prioritized further? Like, should we expect to never see any new content for them ever again? Will it be stopping soon? Does this mostly refer to games made by other developers (Like Activision and King) moreso than it does Blizzard?

Again, nobody knows, and there’s so, so much room left for concern.

4 Likes

Classic forum is somewhere else.
And no, classic wow is not dead.

3 Likes

In the same call they said World of Warcraft was one of their high priority projects along with other games. Diabo, World of Warcraft, Hearthstone, and Overwatch were all listed as high priority. So Starcraft and Heroes of the Storm are not. We’ve already been told that Heroes of the Storm is entering maintenance mode.

3 Likes

Exactly. There was a lot of corporate double talk that actually cause more concern and raise more questions. One side of Thier mouths they said they were increasing Devs for Warcraft ( not wow) OW etc but then said they are depriortizing underperforming games and projects. So no one really knows what s going in, including those at Blizzard. We know Brack will bend over for Bobby at a moment’s notice.

2 Likes

Actually they said Warcraft was, not World of Warcraft. For all we know that could be the Warcraft go mobile game

1 Like

Why does Starcraft need any extended dev team anyway, the game’s done. They only need maintenance on servers and season resets, like Diablo 3.

Starcraft is being supported by the custom map creators anyway.

1 Like

According to the code of conduct for general discussion, “This forum is here to provide you with a friendly environment where you can discuss all aspects of World of Warcraft with your fellow players.”

I am talking about the game… in general. All facets of it. Please get off of your high horse and stop playing armchair moderator. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I dunno classic went from “ill pay extra!” To “why do i need a sub??!?!?”

1 Like

I buy every war chest and coop commander they release. I was hoping those content releases, despite their small nature, continue, and there was never any indication up until this most recent news break that it would stop.

Those can still happen. They just don’t need a lot of man power for those no? If they think the balance is where it should be at, they don’t need to keep a balance team. Just an example.

There’s a ton of players who won’t play now considering how much the game has changed. They want TM vs SS back. They don’t care about all this azerite gear whatever.