10.2 Lore Books -- Elune, Primordial World Trees, and More

ON THE NATURE OF THE DREAM
Written by an unnamed dragon. Note: Contains speculation not to be shared with the Keepers.

THE LEGEND OF ELUN’ATHIR
As is common with ancient myths, the details of this tale are oft disputed.

THE TRAGEDY OF ERINETHRIA
May her name, and her lesson, ever be remembered.

15 Likes

Are they implying elune and eonar are a couple?

7 Likes

So G’Hanir is of the Realms of Life and the Emerald Dream is Azeroth’s branch of G’Hanir.

Travel too deep into the Emerald Dream and you find yourself in the other portions of G’Hanir where Anzu lives.

Ardenweald is a mirror of G’Hanir which itself is a mirror of the Great Dark Beyond.

1 Like

It would explain why Eonar hid from the Legion on a world named Elunaria. Perhaps, Elune was cloaking it for most of history from Sargeras.

9 Likes

They’ve gone back and forth so often on the nature of the Dream that I don’t even mind them calling it into question in this way. The stuff with Elune and Eonar is interesting, to say the least. I wonder where that crater is supposed to be. Still, a certain brand of Night Elf fan will not be happy that any lore tying Elune to the Titans has happened.

7 Likes

They could have other types of relationship I guess. Being lover is just from nowhere, but i guess makes sense on how current fiction is written in general.

1 Like

A vibe I got is that you have the Near Dream, which is largely a Titan made, static mirror of Azeroth, and then the Far Dream where things get progressively weirder as the influence of Titanic infrastructure fades. The Dream as we know is just an artificial island of stability.

I feel like they are setting up Aman’thul up specifically as the antagonistic Titan. The pantheon had tensions even before Sargeras went omnicidal. Eonar sides with Elune overall.

4 Likes

That explains why Aman’Thul never made a move to punish Odyn for going against the Dragonflights. He actually agreed with him and only gave Nozdormu power because the Timeline he saw demanded it.

The reason Aman’Thul never declared war on Eonar is probably because Titans fighting each other is as unthinkable as Nathrezim killing each other.

Of course after Sargeras and Argus this bag of cats is now opened and Titan Civil War is inevitable!

3 Likes

I think is more that this portion of the dream is the one directly connected to Azeroth, while the uncharted areas are connected with other worlds.

I wonder how the moon fits in all of that, since elune seems tied with the dream itself.

3 Likes

I thought of Sholazar Basin, mostly because that’s where the Avatar of Freya is stationed. Though there are Titan buildings built into the walls of the zone, so it might not be a place where the roots could have remained hidden.

3 Likes

Ive been pondering that too. Aman’thul ripping things out of the ground sounds very familiar, and makes me squint at how Chronicle explains the well of Eternity. It sure would explain how come Kaldorei look like beings of the Dream.

7 Likes

Andrassil is still in the Emerald Dream incidentally so the other World Tree might secretly be there.

With the being of Order killed in the Amirdrassil Raid it’s quite possible that the World Trees of the Emerald Dream might breach into Reality.

Well, there’s some nice juicy plot setups here. Like how there will be a mini Green Dragonflight in Avaloren.

It does irk me, though, how the in-universe voice is using the wording of the cosmological chart: “that is not order”/“the realms of Life” /etc. That kind of simple language is great for the chart itself, but it feels uncreative for the characters and organizations involved to refer to themselves like that. It’s like if the Titans had been named “the Orderites” or “the Lords of Order” or something - it’s just boring and somehow distasteful to me, as though the writers didn’t have faith that the audience can deduce that the life-y zones and characters are related to Life without being explicitly told so. I dunno why, but it’s just been bugging me every time I see that verbiage being added in-setting.

6 Likes

I think it is one of the problems when writing for a MMO is you have to write to the lowest common denominator, within reason.

In more positive news. I found the best thing ever in my explorations of the dream:

Behold the glory.

10 Likes

“Get off my dream!”

4 Likes
  1. This info about the Emerald Dream is the most confusing and egregious of these documents, I’m having a tough time wrapping my head around it. From what I understand, it now mirrors the Shadowlands in being a place connected to all planets, but it isn’t the Realm Of Life itself, just a place connected to it, similar to Thros. If it actually is created by a Titan then what’s the point? A backdoor into the Realm Of Life in order to attack it? Or is Eonar a traitor for Life and made a backdoor into Order?

2. It seems Elune and Eonar are/were lovers, which jives with connections that have been hinted at. The main question is, what is the crater? Could be something as simple as Sholazar Basin. Though I have a theory that it’s actually the Well Of Eternity; Eonar could’ve planted the tree where Y’shaarj was, but Aman’Thul rejected this, with Eonar’s heresy being covered up. The water in the well could be Eonar’s tears, thus making Night Elves a creature created from the combination of Life & Order. And thus Titan creatures lol.

3. Algarian Stormrider. Erinethria might’ve became a storm dragon. Haven’t all storm dragons been found in Titan locations? This also bolsters my theory that Tyr is going to take us to Khaz Algar next expansion since he knows what’s past the Veiled Sea.

1 Like

That was my thought, but part of me suspects that it’s on the continent on the other side of the world that they’ve been hinting at for a long while now.

8 Likes

And also why the Tears of Elune was one of the pillars of creation. Since Eonar did not get one devoted to her but Aman’thul, Aggramar, Khaz’goroth and Golganneth did. Also poor Norgonnan.

8 Likes

That first book was really interesting imo. Been wondering what exactly the Dream is supposed to be, so to hear that it connects to, but isn’t one of the Realms of Life is actually neat imo. It feels like their keeping the door open for a potential “Lifelands” without limiting themselves to the Dream itself.

The second just further confirms the idea that we will be fighting against the Titans, or at least Aman’Thul in specific. Pairs well with the rest of the info we’ve been getting in this expansion.

The final book might be the most interesting with the context of the recent datamines. Additionally, with the Nightsquall book from 10.0.5 as well, it seems almost confirmed that we are going west of Kalimdor for the next expansion. If I had to guess, Tyr will likely be our reason for going there, given that he will be back soon.

Only things that I am undecided on are if Tyr will be on our side and if they will be going all in Iridikron in 11.0 or if he is being saved for later. If the expansion is as heavily Titan-themed as I expect it to be, I can see it going he way of Legion and escalating from 0 - 100, with Sargeras being freed, Odyn being a raid boss, ending in Zereth Ordus, and capping off with an Aman’Thul fight.

So we finally have definitive proof where life on Azeroth came from?

Elune gave Eonar a branch of G’Hanir to plant them and create life, destroying the Void corruptions in the process. Right?