10.1.7 Night Elf Face Customisation Changes

On the 10.1.7 PTR new customisations are being added such as body tattoos, this is a cool addition and I don’t think anyone has a problem with them. However at the same time it appears as if existing facial markings are being completely replaced, losing the texturing, shadowing and outline in the process and ending up with a flat streak of colour upon the Elf’s face, making them look as if they’ve been drawn on by a marker pen.

Here are a few examples:

https://twitter.com/KittyCatKissu/status/1687244811332734976

On the left side of her face (from our perspective) is the existing version, and on the right side is the upcoming changes in 10.1.7. The style is completely different and it looks…cheap, to be honest, It’s not something I want to have happen to my character.

https://twitter.com/Portergauge/status/1687348512059777024

Here are some more images. It appears as if the new texture is trying to stretch itself around the mesh of the face.

Can you please provide some more clarity on:

1. Are these changes intentional and not just some bug on the PTR right now?

2. If so, can these be added as additional options and not complete replacements?

11 Likes

Seconding. I love new customization but old customization should be treated more carefully.

These designs stretch around the 3D model in a way that the current do not.

New

Old (Pardon my handwriting without a stabilizer)

The new textures are meant to accommodate the texture of the body tattoos I feel but they do not have any depth. They are too ‘perfect’ of a graphical overlay over the face from a texture standpoint, and are not indicative of a face tattoo or face painting.

And the texture not wrapping around the 3D mesh of the face makes the game look even older than it already is with its remaining 512x512px textures and the newer 1024 textures.

I would expect this sort of texture from a 15-year-old’s ‘Look Guyz, My First The Sims Character Customization’ on Tumblr as a 3rd-party download, not from Blizzard.

9 Likes

And another thought:
Because altering already-implemented customizations is a touchy subject: I think the new body tattoos should have been designed to match the already-existing face tattoos/paint. Not the other way around. They are not difficult styles to emulate as someone who could do this personally without challenge.

I would carry this mantra with any existing customization.

7 Likes