100% CPU usage while playing randomly - unplayable state!

My DxDiag is here at Pastebin: KrJ8uHLa

So yeah, happens totally randomly and without warning. All of a sudden, my FPS will tank to nothing and my CPU usage will spike to maximum load.

My Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
My Memory: 32768MB RAM

Never had a problem before until 8.1.5, so it’s a new revelation with something you guys changed in regards to Dx, most likely. I’m no expert.

Thanks for reading and any assistance anyone can provide.

2 Likes

Try switching to DirectX 11.

First thing you really will need to do is identify what’s actually keeping your CPU busy. If the game itself was going to 100% usage on its own that’s one thing, but it’s most probably not what’s happening so you’ll need to ID the culprit.

Once you know at least the process name there’s probably something that can be done about it.

What are you talking about?

Everything is at 1% or lower, but World of Warcraft was the only one devouring my CPU’s soul. It’s not a mystery, it’s the game’s new multi-threading that’s taxing my CPU on its 8 cores.

1 Like

Its more then likely a program conflicting with wow not wow its self. The most likely causes are AV programs, fire walls, Killer networking app,

First with wow running open resource monitor below is how to open resource monitor. This will show what is using the CPU

Use Windows-R to open the run box. Type resmon.exe, and hit the Enter-key.

To give the OP some further insight into (what I suspect is) his problem, I was having the same kind of issue. It was a symptom of Wow.exe being block from accessing graphics hardware. OP, if this happens again, take note of the GPU usage, it should be very low if no other apps are running.

I’m confused, 6700k is a quad core cpu. My older 3970x has no problem with the new dx12 multithread usage. In fact, i barely crack 20% usage.

Don’t use any of those; closest thing I have is Tunngle, which I uninstalled in my crusade to find the problem, and TunnelBear.

I fixed my issue by running WoW in Dx11, no problems since.

Pretty sure this fixed it for me, thanks.

1 Like