1 gigabyte internet speed

Would it be worth getting 1 gigabyte per second internet speed? Would it enhance my gaming any? I currently have 100 mbps speed, I experience a little lag, nothing game breaking, would 1 gigabyte per second internet speed completely eliminate my lag, or is 100 mbps all I could possibly need and any lag I experience is likely to be caused by something other than my internet speed?

With Xfinity, I got 1 GB per second due to Xfinity customer support provided me a promo, so I have devices and people streaming at home (YouTube, YouTube TV, Disney+)

It may or may not resolve it, it all depends on how many devices being connected to your ISP. It also depends on how good your ISP quality is too.

For example, there’s another ISP that’s local to me. Even though it’s so much cheaper, the quality is crap… They aren’t worth switching to, so I have to stick with Xfinity.

Even before I got 1 GB speed, I had 400 Mbps speed as well, even with the same devices it didn’t lag out on me as I was testing the streaming service the past week or so ago.

So in short: maybe, check how many people are using internet at home

If that’s not the case, check to see if you need to update drivers for wireless/Ethernet. Check to see if there’s any cables loose or what not.

1 Like

For starters, it is 1 Gigabit NOT Gigabyte. :slight_smile:
2. I have never noticed WoW needing to move that much data in that short period of time. You may just want to start with a jitter test etc. Or start with latency using fast dot com lower the better, mine is 13-17ms typically. In WoW my average is 38ms. hover of ‘?’
When the lag happens, what is your frame-rate? ctrl-r and keep it on-screen.
FYI we used to have 100Mb and have 2 PC’s in the house raiding the same raid…

2 Likes

Gigabit internet is not worth it unless you have plans to actually use all of that bandwidth, and you’re definitely are not getting gigabit over wireless unless you spend quite a bit more(if you happen to be using wireless).

If you’re having lag spikes here and there with 100 Mbps, it’s likely something else going on. Like mentioned above, most games don’t really use much bandwidth, they’re just sensitive to latency(WoW from my experience is very very good at handling poor connections though).

Only time lag would occur from bandwidth would be if you were saturating the whole connection(upload saturation would be more noticeable unless you’re on a symmetrical speed plan), otherwise it’s probably something else. Even then, at 100 Mbps you shouldn’t be noticing that much of a difference during connection saturation, unless you’re a heavy uploader and have low upload.

What is your ISP? and could you go into more detail about this lag you’re having? What happens, how often, etc. and are you wired?

2 Likes

My ISP recently upgraded my old 100Mbps connection to Gigabit (without changing the price, $60/mo gigabit ftw) and I’ve not noticed any significant change in smoothness of gameplay or latency in WoW.

The most noticeable change was actually that patches and especially full reinstalls of WoW are bonkers fast – I can have the whole game downloaded in like 10-15m tops. It’s ridiculous.

Coming from a player in a country with 3rd world internet speed it won’t make a difference. I’ve played for years on a 5mbps connection with no issues.
Your issue is latency not download speed, this is a product mostly of your phisical distance from the servers.
Years ago before oceanic servers I used to average 250ms of ping and now I get 22ms.

cadmeister nails this.

primarily what you notice in warcraft is latency - how fast your traffic gets to and from the game. this is determined by lots of things, a lot of which are out of your direct control. you can’t pay your provider to get a lower latency connection and it isn’t impacted by your bandwidth. the best things you can do are to use an ethernet connection and play on the servers physically closest to your location.

warcraft requires little bandwidth, and if you have 100mbps adding more will not impact your gaming performance. the only possible exception to this might be if you have a big house with lots of people downloading/streaming lots of data. if you’re using up your entire 100mbps on non-warcraft things, then adding more might be useful to you.

1 Like

Yeah huge bandwidth allowances only help when you’re downloading large files like major patches/movies/games. Blizzard has put in a lot of work over the years to limit the amount of data it sends to your client, this means people with slow internet can play and reduces the bandwidth they need to provide servers.

Are talking about 1Gbps fibre, copper or coax? Going with a 1Gbps business network might go through a different networking backend than non-commercial customers. Even then your latency might get 1-2ms but that’s hardly worth the cost increase.

Yea, Gigabit fibre internet is great but it doesn’t mean everything you download will be super fast. Like others said before. Some providers even cache popular stuff so you get a boost in download speed.

Wow uses about 1gig data a month for an addict like myself and my nephew also plays it along with various other games along with other family members streaming stuff I haven’t ever had someone complain about slow internet in quite some time.

For me Hell is better then Robbers here. Way more consistent speed and latency.

In my area they are promoting a service that offers several plans for Gigabit speeds + and I guess it depends on who you talk to but my take is that it’s very attractive for streamers because of the huge jump in upload speeds compared to that of DSL or cable ISPs. It’s also worth it if you just want to get away from trash cable ISPs like Spectrum.