“The Last Titan” is a suspicious name…

One can only hope!

TiT only means the end of the current trash story. The next trash story will be the creator of the Titans will come to destroy us all for killing his children/creations.

World of Warcraft: God of the Titans which can be run for a decade easily because we all know that there is going to be siblings of the God of the Titans and some bonehead the God of the Titans put in charge of a thing and forgot about and all of them want to destroy us for some reason and they can end the arch with

World of Warcraft: The Godfather

The father of the God who created the Titans who created the Aspects who created the Jailer who created the Legion who created the Lich King that created the Scourge to kill us all for some reason.

Ugh…no wonder Blizzard places new players into a later expansion. This story blows now and new people should not be allowed to easily experience the game before the game became one big trope.

Case study.
If you don’t even know of the game “Wildstar” and what it means, here’s a suggestion: look it up. Because I’m not explaining how a game that did literally everything that you have thought of and became one of the worst performing “modern” MMOs in gaming history.

No you haven’t. All you have said “But WoW is WoW!” and then ignored the fact that you argued against yourself. If a WoW 2 doesn’t do enough to be different from WoW, then that doesn’t warrant remaking and getting rid of huge parts of the current playerbase to just add a “2” at the end.
And if you are remaking WoW to make it more “modern”, then that begs the question … why not play a game that already does that instead of a game that would be seen as “unable to maintain it’s own playerbase”. We already see this by folks en masse in regards to basically anything Blizzard related.

MMOs work on familiarity. Similar to how MOBAs work: why learn a new game when you already have your current one? At which point, see above.
MMOs aren’t like FPS games where a “new one” brings the same people to the game anymore. Because if it was similar enough as the old one, then you’d create an expansion. So it has to be different enough to encapsulate other players that weren’t playing the game. Which means it has to go for a different audience then the one it has.

You scrap your current playerbase, in order to try to grow it for a larger one. Some will stay because they like the new game, not because they liked the old game. Those folks will simply just stop playing. The changes you are proposing to “modernize” WoW … is to make it appealing for a playerbase that’s less than 1/10 of the current one.

Sure.
Wildstar and Runescape.

Nope. But I am able to read.

Yes. Games like Wildstar tried the things you are arguing for and it is one of the most infamous MMO failures ever.

You are arguing to kill off the game. Probably not intentionally, but when you double down on it rather than read up on the topic of MMOs and game design … it kinda becomes irrelevant whether you are doing it on purpose or not. If you are indistinguishable from a troll, then you are troll.
That’s literally all there is to it.

Sure, it can have more expansions with new features. New storylines. New continents. New races. New bosses. New dungeons. New mechanics. New endgame pillars. And oh so much more.

It doesn’t change that what you are currently arguing for would be the same thing as killing off the game. The game can have and will have many more expansions to come, we have no idea how many, and eventually the game will get so old that it either becomes a permanent mainstay … or it’s playerbase dies off of old age. Either moving to new games, or quite literally dies of old age.

It is entirely possible to build on the Warcraft franchise without impeding on World of Warcraft and I have argued for it many’a’times. But the one thing one essentially can’t do is to make another copy of what already exists and think it’ll be better; it has to innovate and WoW is currently innovating by being WoW - the old designs work because of its age. Because of its reputation.

As I have already stated.

1 Like

FYI Wildstar was not a WoW clone so I also do not know why you used that as an example. If you had used Asherons Call 2 as your example, it would have been perfect.

Too many people apply many features WoW had to being a WoW invention when they were in fact around before it.

2 Likes

I’m using it as an example because the developers themself stated that they modeled from how raiding Molten Core worked. They themselves never used the phrase “WoW clone” but… yes, it was a WoW clone.

And not one that were trying to abuse the name WoW clone and hang on WoW’s coattails. But one that intentionally styled their gameplay from WoW because … that’s what the developers wanted to make. Not a clone-clone, but one that purposefully tried to emulate WoW in a modern MMO-setting of action combat and on the hype that space games had at the time.

So… yes, it works as the best possible case study imaginable for this.

WoW 2: Fastest selling game at launch with over 7 million presales

3 months later…

500k-1 million left.

Yea but no.

So basically what they did with Overwatch?

/moo :cow:

2 Likes

You realize that isn’t too far off from some current retail player estimates…and Blizz would still sell 7 million copies, so it would be a financial win in their book.

1 Like

One hopes the WoW team and the Overwatch “2” team speak to each other.

(OW2 being utterly pointless, and upset as many players as it pleased; then failed to deliver on the entire rationale for its existence.)

3 Likes

Metzen already stated that it’s just the end of this storyline. And will set up the next 20 years of WoW. WoW isn’t going anywhere.

:notes:When the first breath of winter
Through the flowers is icing
And you look to the north
And a pale moon is rising
And it seems like all is dying
And would leave the world to lighten
They will stare unbelieving
At the Last Tiiiitan :notes:

Bonus points for anybody who recognizes that. :unicorn:

More or less this, yah’.
If they would’ve just said “We want to make Overwatch more accessible to more people so we are moving the game to another engine and making it free to play with a different business model”. Then they could’ve chosen to keep the name or change it to Overwatch 2. Whilst folks would’ve still been irrationally upset, could’ve avoided a lot of headache from those who aren’t quite so ridiculous.

Making “sequels” when not necessary is just… no one likes that.

Look at what happened with everquest 2. More people play the first one because that was the super popular one. Even though I think the second one is better it’s such a ghost town and still not very solo friendly so I couldn’t play it even if I wanted to.

The same thing would happen to wow2. That’s why they aren’t doing it.

This is a nice idea, but it’s never going to happen. And honestly, I don’t really want it to in the current climate of MTX. WoW 2 would be, just like Overwatch 2 was, a thinly veiled excuse to massively expand the shop.

In a perfect world I would love an updated WoW with a fresh take on the story and world and a modern engine. The MMO market isn’t lucrative enough for that possibility to be realized without sacrificing a lot of players.

Also, and I’m really not trying to rain on any parades here, this is something MMO communities seem to do a lot when a story reaches its final arc. I remember getting into several arguments with guildmates who insisted Endwalker would be the end of FFXIV, but of course it wasn’t. Of course Sqenix wasn’t going to sacrifice its cash cow, even in aspiration of a better game. Of course Yoshi-P said, as Metzen has said, that the future of this game is in this game, and it’s going to be very long and very bright until it inevitably, finally isn’t. But if WoW ever dies, the Warcraft brand isn’t going to be reignited with an MMO, it’ll focus on what young gamers without years of investment into the game are into these days.

At the end of the day, Blizzard is a business, and there is no financial motivation to make an in-house competitor to WoW, or worse, to replace it entirely. It’d be tantamount to throwing gigantic cartoon money bags into a shredder.

Irrelevant. Wildstar is not Warcraft. Neither is RuneScape. They will NEVER be a meaningful comparison, and you know it.

Yes I have. WoW is an MMORPG, but Warcraft is a culture. The things even you have praised; its legacy, familiarity, reputation, etc., is the key to its draw. You say “why not play another more modern game?” Because, as I have already answered, twice now, that game is not Warcraft.

WoW 2 or WoW+ or whatever it manifests as would keep those things, and improve upon what needs to be improved upon. I don’t know where you got the idea that I am suggesting stripping the game down to the chassis and starting from there. A lot of what already is would remain. The things that make Warcraft, well, Warcraft. That being said, WoW has enough systemic problems to validate a colossal overhaul, whether that be a sequel of sorts, or a radically altered current version, to the point it might as well be a new game.

This entire block is irrelevant because you have competently misinterpreted my ideas/suggestions.

Except the last sentence, which is a remarkably bold assumption on your part, for which you have no concrete basis.

Reading =/= reading comprehension. Further, it is entirely possible that we both could read an identical article and come to opposite conclusions. For example, the Five Monkeys Experiment, which is notorious for being interpreted in wildly different ways.

Disagreeing with you does not make me a troll. You calling me a troll just for disagreeing with you makes YOU the troll. “I don’t agree with you so you’re trying to kill WoW” is a hard sell, if not an absurd one.

Nothing you have said has changes anything. You’re operating 90%+ on pure conjecture and shaky extrapolation, and spouting it as if you alone hold the Gospel. I started my entire post with “this is a theory.” You came out the gate with presumptuous intellectual authority that you simply do not have.

we know nothing of the sort. we do however know that they’ve stated they’ll never make another MMO… They tried, it became Overwatch.

1 Like

Was it though?

I provided examples that showcase why I’m saying what I’m saying. You propose a suggestion that’s just a horse that has been beaten to death. That’s all, and you are doubling, tripling, and quadrupling down on it.

But sure, let’s see if you can prove me wrong:

In a modern MMO context, define “what makes Warcraft, well Warcraft” that can be extrapolated to other MMO formats (it is easy to do this for singleplayer and PvP-multiplayer games, so let’s stick to MMOs since that’s what this thread is about). People have a hard time doing that with just WoW alone but, you say you can do that and even go as far as to extrapolate it to something other than just Warcraft. I use other games to explain my point as to why it doesn’t work in a gaming context, but you want to proclaim that Warcraft is a “culture” which… I can buy. But then you get into the next issue:

What defines World of Warcraft culture according to you? And do you think it can be defined as widely as to make it acceptable by several millions of people?

Its leviosa… not leveosaa

1 Like