“Embrace the Shadow”

It’s best not to look at it through a narrative lens, and instead put your Company PR goggles on. You’ll remember that when Blizzard introduced the concept of Lightrisen Calia and foreshadowed her leadership of the Forsaken in the same book she was introduced, the backlash and rejection by the Forsaken fandom was nigh absolute.

This wasn’t helped by the fact that the author of the book casually revealed that she knew nothing of the Forsaken as a culture, because she had no interest in their story. So she just made up a new culture for them that fit the narrative she needed, completely abandoning story elements that long-time Forsaken fans remember.

Including the fact that there was an NPC in the Undercity who was in charge of a census of the Forsaken, and his entire role was to connect names, new identities and lifetimes, considering that the many dead who became the Forsaken all lived at some point and could have shared claims to property and status. Imagine returning to unlife and realizing you don’t own a home because some other undead claims that he owned it after you died and his ownership trumps yours by its proximity to the present day.

That NPC and many like him were completely ignored in a Find and Replace effort by That Author who then claimed that Sylvanas decreed that no one was allowed to care about or feel anything for their prior existence, despite the fact that only a year or two prior her character was proudly galloping down Silverpine, proclaiming how important Lordaeron and it’s history is to her people and how they deserve to keep those ideals and iconography.

So it’s given now that Sylvanas represented an abandonment of the Forsaken’s cultural identity while Calia was positioned by the author to be an anchor to the glory days of Lordaeron. But the problem remained, the Forsaken fandom still rejected Calia despite the fact that she was fabricated to be a perfect fit to be their ruler.

The issue wasn’t that she was technically the rightful Queen of Lordaeron—had that state not become defunct—after her father’s passing, but instead that she by design was the equivalent to putting Gallywix in charge of the Night Elves in terms of clashing themes and disconnected ethos’s.

By their original plan and designs for her, there was nothing Blizzard could do to make Calia “fit in more” with her people. This is exaggerated to hilarious proportions during the Heritage Questline, where she stands on the sidelines furrowing her brow and doing her “Doubt and Pout” performance while the rest of the Forsaken throw green slime everywhere and kill Scarlets. At the very least, she’s willing to cooperate, but it’s clear she’s uncomfortable. And that’s a problem. Why is the narrative face for your faction uncomfortable with how that faction operates? It’s like putting a Vegan as the manager of a Butcher Shop, and watching them tell every customer that it would be better if they didn’t patron the store, and instead looked elsewhere.

It finally came to a crescendo when the questline awards the Forsaken player with a heritage outfit that couldn’t be more opposite of Calia’s garb if it tried. You’re covered in dark purples and blacks, with chains and vials of green liquids, while she’s white as snow and bedecked in jewels.

So what is the only option Blizzard has left to use to continue to push Calia on a fanbase that is pointing out she doesn’t resemble anything they wanted? It’s rather simple, you find or create a narrative authority who then rules in her favor to silence her dissenters. And so Maldraxxus, which can narratively claim to be the origin of both the Scourge and the Forsaken is approached by Calia who wants to know if she’s a legitimate undead character, and is told that she most certainly is, because Necromancy—despite being created by the Shadowlands—is a public IP that any other power can claim and perform without issue and stop asking questions.

So that’s the new lore. Undead are perfectly natural, and even the magic of life can create undead—Krassus, one of Alextrasza’s old mates reanimates a goblin with Red Flight Life Magic in one of the old Knaak books and pilots it around—so there’s an old example of non-shadow Necromancy.

But this change does two things:

First it completely tore apart the entire enmity of the Light and Undeath, meaning that Paladins aren’t holy crusaders removing a curse or taint from the planet, but instead just overzealous gardeners who treat the mindless undead like weeds, and are bigots to the intelligent ones.

And then it further complicates the entire stability of the Shadowlands as I mentioned in a previous post above, because if the Shadowlands acknowledges that undeath is an acceptable state of being for mortals, and sanctions it, then why would they ever let that knowledge leave when the foundation of their very existence requires that people die and pass on to become fuel. Which undeath prevents.

It’s like the CEO of an Oil Company letting it slip that there’s a secret switch in your car that turns off its need for petrol/gas and the engine switches to CO2, which is free. Would anyone continue paying for gas to drive their car if the alternative was to just flip the switch and drive for free?

But sure, go on and tell Calia and hope that she doesn’t reveal this to the rest of Azeroth, because we know she’s not a real proponent of Undeath as a concept, because she won’t stop Doubting and Pouting about it constantly. Add that to the tally of reasons why we don’t accept her.

Sheesh.

12 Likes

A masterful summary.

The only part I wonder about is just how seriously Blizzard took player backlash against Calia. Do they even care if we hate her? Does That Author realize how badly she messed up the lore? Did Blizzard’s plans for Calia just change for some other reason?

1 Like

Not here. It was X (Formerly Twitter) and Reddit where the majority of the backlash occurred and was visible. Given the nature of social media, Blizzard had a front row seat to how zombie fans felt about the book, the character, her appearance. All of it.

Almost every constructive Forsaken fan’s input on Calia involved changing her in some way, while a lot of very… pro-Alliance fans felt she was going to change the Forsaken into diet-Stormwind, which was a win for Humanity.

Well, Blizzard doesn’t appear to have any desire to change Calia so far, so the Forsaken Fans were heard, but told to just deal with it. And based on the Heritage Quest, the Forsaken aren’t going to become Purple Stormwind, so the Alliance partisan fans aren’t getting what they want either.

We’ll have to see if she makes any appearences in the three expansions moving forward. At this time it looks like Voss gets to be front and center for Forsaken representation. However, we don’t know if that’s because Blizzard is reacting to the lack of enthusiasm for Calia. I mean, is Voss the representative because she’s more popular than Calia? Or is it just that Calia abhors violence and so she’ll be sitting out any event that involves the principal method by which Warcraft solves its problems?

I can’t say, at this point. It’s up to Metzen.

2 Likes

I think “they” really needed to showcase the softer side of the Forsaken. Idk why that had to happen through/by Calia. Calia could have still worked had she been resurrected via Valkyr and had a similar struggle with her inner soul as many Forsaken seem to face. Hell they could have even thrown in some preservation spell if they needed a “pretty” Calia.

I wouldn’t say I hate her character but cdev will need to do a lot more for her to feel like she’s a proper Forsaken.

Tbf, necromancy using life magic happens in legion, with the DK class mount.

Necromancy with light happens in the before the storm novel.

So shadowlands stating that seems more to clear things up than to make new lore.

The weird thing is, what is the line between resurrection and necromancy then, if undeads like death knights basically seem to have all bodily functions as a living being.

2 Likes

I’m not against the idea, just the idea of calling it necromancy.

3 Likes

To some credit, IIRC the Sylvanas book had Sylvanas namedrop Calia to the wider forsaken population after the events of BtS and she wrote the population reacting angrily to her name.

Did they explain why light magic works well with being undead now? I guess we’re suppose to toss that rule in the dumpster with the rest of the necromancy concept.

No light still hurts the undead, They now explained it as the light hurts undead raised by death magic, So a light raised undead would prob be hurt by like shadow or something

Well, we had undeads using light since vanilla no? With the 4 hoursemen in naxrammas being able to use light spells and forsaken being able to play holy priest?

I think the lore is that they just feel pain with it, but no damage done.

1 Like

wheewww chillleeee! My head.

Yes we have, I just chalked it up to threshold management.

But light necromancy, that’s a whole new ball game that I haven’t wrapped my head around yet. Just saying it sounds like I’m trying to out nerd you in larp session.

A quick google search for different types of schools of magic using a form of resurrection has some interesting results ie Animancy

I could understand something like that because it has nothing to do with necromancy’s schools of magic.

That’s Shadowlands in a nutshell for ya. :tada:

1 Like

Said Death Magic stolen from Maldraxxus is tainted by the Nathrezim(who originate from Revendreth and are made of it’s Red Death Magic) no less who angered the Light causing it to attack Revendreth so the Nathrezim-originating Undead being hurt unlike the Maldraxxi Undead(who are unaffected when walking through the Ember Ward unlike the Venthyr who are being subject to incredible pain) is likely the natural result of the Light purging Nathrezim-taint from the Necromantic Death Magic.

Necromantic Death Magic(Teal Green) invented in Maldraxxus creates Undead just as Nature Death Magic(Blue) found in Ardenweald creates Plants.

There is also Order-subjugated Nature Magic that Eonar put into the Emerald Dream to keep it Ordered.

We also see Yellow Holy Order Magic to go with Golden Arcane Order Magic in Dragonflight.

Bastion is shown using Azure Arcane Death Magic that is supposed to embody Virtue to counter Revendreth’s Red Sin-based Shadow Death Magic(which was fed into the Maw corrupting the Mawsworn’s unique Rainbow-Black Pain Death Magic).

There is a pure Arcane Death Magic not aligned with Virtue: the Broker Death Magic known in Spell Names as Hyperlight. It’s White Colored.

You are literally just making stuff up, there isn’t some mix its literally just death magic

Why is the light so evil? Always burning and converting people

We’ve seen other forces like fel, arcane etc reanimate undead as far back as vanilla or tbc and even before in the rts games. It’s not a new concept it’s just never really been explained before.
I’d say it’s rather some cosmic forces more naturally lend themselves to some things, void to negative emotions and other lovely things, but even void can be made to heal things if wielded properly.
That said a resurrection brings someone back to life in a living state with a properly attached soul as they had in life.
A reanimation does not bring life back to the body in the same way as when it was living, the soul is attached to the body in a different way.
Blizz devs used to say years ago that necromancy was the art of “improperly” attaching a soul to a body.
I personally don’t like to use the word improperly, I’d use different.

2 Likes

I hate Pokemon types undead so much it’s unreal.

2 Likes

It made him into undead charged with red dragonfire.

Honestly to some extent WoW’s always sort of had a few – but former those were still rather understandable & forgivable as it didn’t really disconnect from the overall theme & tropes of the:

• Mystical
  • Ethereal
  • Sacrificial
  • Dangerously Volatile

— or ultimately the various dark magics of some scope … But the problem is that they eventually crossed lines & got really silly with such that it didn’t really fit into those themes anymore that the undead generally fit into :face_exhaling:

I find when they just use the reasoning of :sparkles: 'MAGIC! :sparkles: – when it’s going against established lore whilst without any depth or effort, it sort of ruins the structural integrity of the lore along with the story being told and especially the overall feels of the narrative subject in question they’re applying it towards … :face_with_diagonal_mouth: