Specifically "Dialogue" Audio disabling on it's own

Haven’t ran a single CoS this week without the dialogue audio breaking.

1 Like

+1
Toggling the setting and doing a ReloadUI doesn’t seem to fix it.

NPC sound in general keeps turning on and off for me, off more often than on. I did a scan and repair and that didn’t fix it.

1 Like

Same issue here since last week. Happened in Antorus. Turning the option off and on then restarting game has not been working for me.

Make sure its the “Dialogue” toggle you’re turning on and off, not just turning it down to 0% and back up to 100%. It should fix it, but its temporarily and it could break again. I’ve had it break a couple times almost back to back (tested on an NPC when I came back in, then had it break shortly into the next dungeon for example)

Not sure if this will help those experiencing the issue, but there was a change made by Blizzard in the most recent patch to allow addons to write cache data to the Config.wtf

The problem is that if an addon writes more than 1103 characters to the config, it starts to affect the formatting of SET variables, such that they start overwriting cvars. This could be happening to SET Sound_DialogVolume

Try disabling addons, re-enable dialogue, restart the game and it see if that works.

Details Damage Meter in specific has been causing issues for me.

2 Likes

awesome to know, but will enabling addons just cause it to break again?

If it’s the cause of your issue, then yes it will.

As Details is the only addon that I have found so far that causes this underlying Blizzard code issue to occur, you could try disabling just this addon. I have already been in contact with the author who is aware of the problem and is looking to implement a work-around on their end, even though this is a problem with the way data is written to the config.wtf file by addons.

I just came here to ask about this. I noticed that the final boss of Court of Stars, God King Skovald, Odyn, etc. have not had audible dialogue all of 10.0.7.

Thanks, I’ll try disabling it, cause this has been driving me crazy.

2 Likes

Disabling Details did not fix it for me.

And Dialogue is still checked the entire time. It just stops playing.

I’m experiencing the same bug. I’m not hearing boss dialogues in Nokhud and SBG in Mythic+.

1 Like

OK. Different issue then.

It isn’t, the box doesn’t actually uncheck itself, it just stops working. Have to enable/disable and restart the client to fix.

This is happening to me too in several m+ including CoS and HoV. I do not have Details addon so that is not my culprit.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I discovered that my addon BeQuiet has been breaking this seemingly due to a race condition. I’ve submitted an update to curse which will delay the mute by 1 frame however you still should not hear audio and this will prevent dialog from breaking. If you use a different addon to mute talking heads please inform your addon author. I have an update pending review on curseforge.

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/bequiet
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/talkingheadframecloseimmediately-breaking-npc-dialog/1554881/6

3 Likes

Thanks for the head’s up Xorag.

Just as a note for in case any QA from Blizz do look at this thread: I am not using any addons that mute or affect sound in any context, and I’m still having this issue. I haven’t tested in a keystone with addons enabled since I need them there, but disabling addons outside of instances doesn’t seem to help since it seems to break mid-instance.

I’m sure there might be a native use-case for these functions to be called, one appears to be if a talking head fires during a loading screen.

1 Like

Please fix this.

Yes, definitely no dialogue in M+, started happening after patch.

2 Likes

This is happening even when I disable all of my addons.

This is also affecting dialogue in the overworld as well - clicking NPCs has no voice for example. Cutscenes for questing has no voice acting. Etc.

1 Like