Group Finder Authenticator Req

No, it’s through Verizon.

Verizon offers prepaid services, though. The mobile authenticator generally doesn’t work with prepaid phone services. The app does work on a tablet as well, it doesn’t need a phone number.

It’s a fully serviced phone with Verizon. The app works, my number is on my account and I get the Blizz notifications and sms messages just fine. :confused:

1 Like

There are a few things you can try to troubleshoot this as it sounds like you’ve got everything setup already!

First thing I would try would be to disable all addons. Then see if you still get the same message.

Second would be to do a Full UI reset. That will rule out a UI or addon issue for sure.

Last thing I could suggest would be to remove both SMS and the authenticator and then re-add them again. Maybe that will nudge things in the right direction. You can even try this first if you want :wink:

Hopefully one of those works for you!

That sounds like a bad idea. First thing should be to remove the authentication and add it back.

1 Like

All right, so verdict is;

Had to uninstall authenticator, go into account, remove it from my blizz account, remove my phone number, reinstall authenticator app, readd authenticator app, sign up for SMS protect AGAIn from the mobile app (Doing it through the site doesnt work, and I get error 500 all over the place). Had to restore authenticator, verify the number AGAIN and only THEN would it work.

This is a huge hassle. I understand by requiring an authenticator it cuts down on the bots using group finder, but it also screws a LOT of people, probably more than the bots.

Was not a UI issue, I dont ever entertain the idea that its a UI issue, I run very few addons and I always make sure they are up to date and wont interfere.

7 Likes

A year or two ago Blizzard changed it so that you can’t set up an Authenticator on th Account without setting up SMS protect as well.

It USED to work the way you suggest, but not anymore. We also used to be able to put one Authenticator on 3 Bnet accounts. Now, with the phone requirement, you can only put it on one because you can only use the phone number once.

Well, that is why it was also suggested that you could try removing it and re-adding it. Troubleshooting someone’s issues when you don’t know what they have for addons ora set up means listing options. It is up to you to select the one that works best for you.

Glad that one works! It is the most common solution for issues where the game does not pick up account settings. Same goes for payment issues. Removing a payment method and re-adding it often resolves shop issues.

Oh, and another to try for account flagging issues. Change the password. That can force the account to update all the flagging on it. Often resolves issues where the launcher does not see a license on the account.

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware it had changed, thank you. I just know mine is on my tablet so I thought of suggesting that :slight_smile:

Also, I am sorry I missed your reply. Had I seen it earlier I would have tried to look into it some more for you :frowning: But it looks like you got it working anyway, so yay!

I still use the Keychain one. Anyone who set up the Auth before SMS Protect was required is fine, they just can’t use the custom group finder.

Anyone setting up a new one now requires the SMS Protect part which has the number restrictions.

My dismay over the whole thing has been expressed to CS. I feel it cuts off security options for players. If they don’t want to have SMS protect set up, or can’t, they should still at least be able to set up the Auth on a tablet or other device. More account security is better than less.

1 Like

I still have my keychain one and it works. I switched to mobile only recently (for fear my keychain will die first) and I’ve never had it on my actual phone. I could be underestimating how recent but my tablet is also linked to my phone so I don’t know if that affects it.

I know this is off topic but as I have you here and you are amazing, do you know is there anything I can do about a player in another thread right now actively editing their posts out of context so they can report me?

I am not sure how them editing their own posts means they can report your posts. Just be careful that you don’t actually break any rules.

I have seen malicious editing being done to troll others and cause fights though. I would report that poster for trolling. However, because we can’t add notes to the reports it is hard to get mod help.

Also, remember that you can edit your own posts to call them out for it. Just like Vrak did yesterday with someone who was picking fights and misrepresenting what the Forum Support Agent said.

Oh… I see which thread.

You can edit the part he quoted and it should update his quote.

After having ordered four keychain authenticators in the past and all of them arriving in a non-working fashion I decided to go with a mobile authenticator cuz at least I know that my phone works. Also did not get my money back for those four authenticators. That was years ago though.

That is super strange. You got them from Blizzard?

My first one I got in 2008 and it failed in 2010 which was years earlier than it should have. Blizzard sent me a new one for free. I still have it on my account now. I actually still have the first one from 2008 too and it shows numbers, but it is not synched and you can’t resynch the hardware ones.

If you contacted Blizzard at the time you should have been able to get your money back for them or some sort of compensation.

My posts are fine but I don’t think I quoted their original ones. They’re editing some of their posts insulting me, accusing me of various things, ordering me out of their thread to things like asking me to please stop talking to them multiple times. I honestly don’t know the intention, I’m assuming based on the edits, I guess. Thank you though, appreciate it.

It was for my old account, which is now merged with this one. But yes, I had three that were vanilla wow themed, one cataclysm and when each of them arrived they wouldn’t turn on. I assume that they were either a faulty batch or the battery had died. But I wasn’t too worried about it, nor am I too worried about it now.

Point. They were free and we paid the $6 shipping if I remember. The time it takes to deal with returns was likely more effort than it was worth.

Glad you have your current one working now though!

I had an old hard authenticator I got from a Blizzcon in I want to say 2005? It finally died and I lost that account from a few months after Cataclysm and wasn’t able to recover it until midway through legion.

Yep, and true, would have been more expensive and taken weeks to send em back and receive new ones.

They came out in 2008 and were given away for Blizzcon that year :slight_smile: