World Editor versions issue with Windows Registry

I occasionally make use of older versions of World Edit for compatibility reasons. For the sake of this report, let’s say I use the pre-Reforged patch 1.31 version of World Edit and thepost-Reforged 1.32 version at alternating times.

The 1.32 Reforged World Editor works at all times, however, after any time it is run any older version of World Edit will not launch, and in the case of 1.31 version generate a memory overflow error. I have tracked down the cause of this by a conflict in how the Reforged World Editor uses the Windows Registry as opposed to the older versions.

Full path of key located at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\WorldEdit

The key in question is called “Tool Windows” under “WorldEdit”. The value the 1.32 editor changes this to will cause any older version of WorldEdit to crash when this was not the case prior to the last patch.

I do not know what this key does, but I suspect it has something to do with the Tool Palette window which the 1.32 version of the editor does not reliably respond to, but which worked fine in older versions. If at all possible can this at least be fixed to not crash the old World Edit?

1 Like

Bumping.
This is an important matter. Older versions are important for debugging and map compatibility fixes and tests as well as enabling us to use maps which no longer work on newer patches, especially those which are protected.