Wonky Resolution Issues Upon Start

A few months ago, I posted about some resolution issues I was having that we couldn’t find a fix for. Today, I’m having new resolution issues, which are maybe stranger, after updating to Big Sur.

When I start the game, the upper half of my screen is black and I only see the top-half of WC3. The bottom half is somewhere in the void. Fortunately, I can still access the settings, and, when I do, I see that my game is always set to Windowed (not my saved setting). When I set the game to fullscreen and save that setting, my screen goes back to normal.

This makes starting the game very annoying, because I have to do this 20 second ritual every time so that I can have a functional game.

My problem before was that, upon opening the game, my resolution would be set to the original setting (way too high for my computer, about 3526 or something) and I always had to set it back to 1490 upon opening. However, doing this made my game only take up that many pixels if I alt-tab’d and came back, leaving half of my screen with blackness as WC3 only took up half my screen.

I should add that the other issue was also fixed if, after starting the game, I changed my resolution to something else in my settings and then canceled that. So, another ritual I would have to do if I alt-tab’d and came back.

Now, if I alt-tab out of the game, the game zooms in onto a very small corner of the game and I can’t do anything. I can’t access settings or anything. In a custom game, I can only see the “Exit [ESC]” button and part of the game name, to give you some scale. So I have to restart the game if I alt-tab. Effectively, my game breaks entirely if I alt-tab.

there is an easy solution. go to users\your windows profile\documents\warcraft 3 and edit the War3Preferences.txt file. there you can change the game`s resolution.

Thanks for the reply, but that doesn’t really apply to my situation. The problem isn’t the resolution, it’s that it keeps changing when I start the game (showing only half my game) and that it changes to an unplayable resolution (small corner of the screen) when I alt-tab into the game. If I changed the resolution and alt-tab’d back into my game, it would just change again.

Also, I’m on macOS.

there is likely still a text file with the resolution somewhere. my solution should still apply.

Big Sur just had an update and I currently have no menu issues upon opening the game. Hurray! Who knows what they changed, but I’m glad this problem isn’t permanent (after so many months, you’d think it would be).