Why remove TFT?

Seriously, what do you guys think? Was it a technical issue with the game not being able to run Reforged graphics? Or more of a tactical move to force you onto the Battle.Net launcher?

2 Likes

What? TFT isn’t gone. Not only is it stiil there, its mechanics have leaked their way into RoC.

If you want to download it on 1.27 here go this way:

It’s just some bullcrap management decision á la “hurr we can’t possibly support and maintain two clients, think of the costs!!”, probably also connected to your “forcing people onto the launcher” thought. I keep seeing some glowing crap in the launcher trying to get my attention, but I just want to play wc3.

2 Likes

It was removed as part of them modernizing the structure of Warcraft III to match other Blizzard products. There is now a single base game with licence checks for content. As part of this they kindly gave TFT to anyone who owned RoC.

1 Like

What? TFT isn’t gone. Not only is it stiil there, its mechanics have leaked their way into RoC.

This is false. TFT is gone. If you install the game from your discs and hit the bnet button it will redirect you to Reforged. What we call TFT, Classic, Legacy is just reforged in low quality models. They did not take TFT and put it next to Reforged and connected them: they created reforged by peaking into how TFT was, then destroyed TFT and did a minor overhaul on Reforged to resemble the old-skool look. But by no means what we call classic is classic: and it shows. Many things are altered. One of the first things many had in their first ‘classic’ reforged game is an uplift of posture, widening of the eyes will cramping their eyebrowns and after 2 seconds of pondering utterenace as “this is not classic”. Any veteran can tell the difference. And veterans are all that play the game in these graphics. In fact; veterans are almost all that play. The influx of new players was very timid. Some veterans left due to the obvious issues with the game. The player base from legacy to reforged appears to have hardly changed.

1 Like

I think he meant that RoC is gone.

Ah, if that is the case then it seems to be a problem of terminology. Using TFT to mean pre-Reforged and vice versa is going to to lead to confusion. The OP just served as a great example.

I suggest what’s being spoadically used since Reforged came out: “reforged” and “classic” for the two modes in the current version of the game, and “original” for the pre-reforged game.

As for my interpretation of the OP, which is the literal one, my statement was not false.

1 Like

It will update Warcraft III to the latest version. Most of the content from TFT is still in the current version of Warcraft III.

I could tell what he probably meant as soon as I read the title (but “force you onto the Battle.Net launcher” is also telling). People who ask why TFT or classic were removed or to bring them back are probably (or most definitely) referring to the original game (or classic client, classic game or legacy version).

I suggest more defining terms like “classic mode” or “classic graphics” because of the dual meaning of the word classic. It’s not wrong to call the original game classic (or classic game). Arguably that’s more correct, because the original game is the one that people loved (the classic). The Reforged client was not part of that but rather what it was based upon.

It may also be considered a disgrace to refer to the classic mode within the Reforged client as “classic”, especially for people who want the original game back. It’s more like the classic mode in Reforged is pretending (badly) to be classic, and the Reforged graphics and “new campaign” are effectively just paid DLC for legacy owners.

Replace “literal” with “out of context” in that statement, because TFT can refer to either the TFT content in the Reforged client (what you assumed) or the original TFT client. But literal meaning depends on context too (or what it’s probably referring to). Again he raised the question of this being “a tactical move to force you onto the Battle.net launcher”. The TFT client didn’t force you to use the Battle.net launcher, but the Reforged client does. So even literally speaking it shows that he was referring to the TFT client being removed.

1 Like

Most of the content from TFT is still in the current version of Warcraft III.

No it is not. The game runs entirely different. Reforged is a new game. The fact that it uses a look and maps that are similar to the TFT you bought 15 years ago is not relevant. This is also why some siht is just messed up, for example it is far more difficult to see if a unit is invisible. Creep AI is not the same and their aggro lease to which they chase units is about 75% increased. Pathfinding is not even equal to legacy. Units more like moon-walk over it and colors are offset to their legacy colors.

Ah, if that is the case then it seems to be a problem of terminology. Using TFT to mean pre-Reforged and vice versa is going to to lead to confusion.

Ah yeah true. Reforged is reforged and you can run this in HD or SD models. But reforged uses TFT settings when it comes to units and, roughly, balances (e.g. you can pick tavern heroes, shops per race are available, can’t creep beyond level 5 and magic immune units can be ensared; i.e. it are not ROC settings).

Factually what we refer to as ‘classic’ is just a SD variation of the HD in reforged. The actual TFT as say 2 years ago is legacy. The word classic is very ambigious in this sense. Same for TFT: reforged is reforged but as per above; yeah, it uses TFT as its starting point and is referenced around that. Confusing AF indeed.

1 Like

Yeah I noticed this as well. I didn’t play for more than a decade but it doesn’t feel right how far the creeps are walking and fighting. Yesterday at Concealed Hill (I think) a forest troll trapper seemed to want to ensnare a lumber peon and just straight walked out of his creep spot into my base and back, without throwing a single axe. Wtf?

Hence why I said most of the content from TFT is still in the current version of Warcraft III. None of what you mentioned is missing content. Some changes were made in an attempt to balance melee, but these are just normal balance changes.

As far as I am aware the unit path finder is still the same old path finder WC3 has always used. Has the same low responsiveness, same intelligence when finding a path and even same flaws such as calculation limitations.

Nobody removed tft.

They removed ROC because they are incompetent.

#BRINGROCBACK

1 Like

None of what you mentioned is missing content. […] As far as I am aware the unit path finder is still the same old path finder WC3 has always used. Has the same low responsiveness, same intelligence when finding a path and even same flaws such as calculation limitations.

As far as you are aware is not far enough. Creep AI is clearly altered. Trolls are now pesky little brats who have severe difficulty following basic instructions in changing their aggro: which was never the case in TFT. One can now only use 15 shift-clicks, this used to be unlimited. Pathfinding is arguable, but quite often people have severe difficulty attacking a building right next to their army. Even a specific thread with examples was made on this. Creeps now chase units far longer distances, people now far more often miss the ‘under attack’ notification and the list goes on.

They took TFT as a basis, and copy the content. Some beauty was lost in translation. But it is not the same platform. It just mimics it and it fools many, including you, it seems.

Let’s not forget the constant lag, jitter, crashes, and desyncs which were never a problem or, at the very least, nowhere near as severe in the stable TFT client.

2 Likes

So? A lot of things have been changed such as most textures are now .dds.

This was added for security reasons long ago. Hackers could crash other clients by running a modified client with larger thread stack size and then issuing thousands of shift queued orders via macro/tool until the other clients eventually crashed when it tried to execute one of them. StarCraft II has a queue limit for similar reasons, as do most RTS games.

Still none of this is “missing” content. Different I do agree and some of it could be considered a regression.

So they had to pick such a low limit just to stop hackers from crashing the game? That seems like an overly cautious limit. The game should easily be able to handle a higher limit per player. So long as it’s an overall limit, meaning shared among a player’s units.

Altered path finding wouldn’t be considered missing content by that standard either. But I think he interpreted your original term, “content from TFT”, to mean content exactly as it was or unaltered. I mean his whole argument is that (original) TFT is gone because of all the alterations and merging with the Reforged client, so of course he’s going to use the alterations as evidence of that.

Also before Reforged released they did actually remove some pissed unit voice lines. Likely because they were deemed too offensive, but some of them weren’t even that bad compared to the nature of the game. Besides they were in the game for so long they should’ve been grandfathered anyway.

Of course they also removed the old menu art backgrounds and essentially any custom map that contains copyrighted material or is otherwise deemed inappropriate by Blizzard, due to the changed World Editor EULA and added report functions in game.

So? A lot of things have been changed

Blizzard does not know creep AI is altered, pathfinding is changed. You can not change fundamentals so blatantly. It just signals they are completely not in control on how this game works. Changing these things is chaning the 2nd nature people have developed. Unintentional. Blizzard never disclosed these changes and when questioned about it (e.g. on Discord) they appear dumbfounded by the idea this is altered from legacy.

People suddently don’t notice ‘units under attack’ notifications, miss their expansion being completed and don’t notice blips on minimaps anyore.

This are all changes that show this is not legacy. It is another game that mimics legacy and in many details it fails to do so. It misses the accuracy and dilligence legacy had.

As for the 15 clicks: this was only altered in reforged. It is also the only security measure they done. At least, as far as I know. It turns out that maphacks from 10 years ago still work today. In fact: blizzard having .txt files with a written warning message to hackers and a plea not to change the file is flatout hilariously bad.