Why No WC4 - Blizzard's Bizzare Decision

They won’t do WC4 because even StarCraft 2, the King of RTS games barely survived after two years of release.

I mean, WarCraft 4 would sell like crazy, just to be dead on PvP few months after.

Other problem is that a part of the WC3 community (i say a good 25% of it) has become so elitist and toxic (yeah it generated the DotA community, one of the most cancerous and toxic communities ever generated) that would hate the game for any possible reason, just look at how much stupid complaints sc2 received over the course of the years ( i say one third of the overall complaints, because sc2 still has some true trash mechanics and the story alternates between good and brain damaging s**t).
They clearly don’t have anymore the talents and organization to replicate something like WC3 was, they barely pulled it off with SC2 if compared to SCBW, both gameplay and story would be horrendous, i mean the campaign would play very fluidly and be funny but the multiplayer would end up being a mess and i don’t even want to imagine the characters between protagonists, side characters and villains (did you see what a great amount of “”“good”"" characters brought us WoW? Or how much depth and importance his villains have?).

Obligatory WC3 Nostalgia Circlejering about how WC3 was the best and WC4 is crp (i saw these kind of threads countless times on sc2)

For last i want to mention the most important factor, it’s called Activi$ion

AGREED. Let’s see wc4!

Stellaris is a X4 Game, not an RTS
Total War is not the fast-paced e-sports oriented RTS Blizzard would need to blow up. It’s kind of niche.

We are talking about having a lot of popularity and profit, as with Warcraft in the past.

Also that is just one of my points.

A lot of folks have pointed out WC4 can’t get made because it will split the WoW fan base, and create lore issues. And they really don’t want anything affecting WoW success as it is financial cash cow for Blizzard.

That being said, why can’t WC4 be some kind of spinoff content? Say for example tell Illidan’s story out in space now that he was guarding the corrupted titan or whatever (at the end of WoW Legion)- the titan escaped and we get the story of this titan, illidan, a new bystander alien race caught in crossfire, etc battling it out with armies in a new world or other dimension. Or it could tell a story initially set in the Warcraft afterlife- we see one bad little soul in Hell named Arthas create an Army and take over Hell, some druids and Light Army folks get involved to try to stop him, etc. My point was that WC4 could be a spinoff-ish sequel that doesn’t necessarily cause major lore issues between that and WoW storytelling.

TBH, I actually getting a bit tired of WoW and I wish Blizzard would take a break from it. But I know they can’t do that because it makes too much money and it might “die” if not given regular expansions. It just sucks how WoW’s existence means WC4 “can’t be made because of lore issues”.

But WC3 remastered is the correct step forward for Blizzard for WC4 to one day be a possibility. Let’s all stay positive, give good encouragement to this dev team, and do everything we can to help WC3 succeed so that Blizzard sees that RTS games are still potentially viable.

1 Like

Because a spinoff is a spinoff and a numbered sequel should be reserved for something big and all-encompassing.

But tbh demand for RTS is waning in general. WC4 would have only compete with SC2 during early 2010’s. Now isva good time but demand for gaming is different. Even hardcore WC3 fans here are not wanting any changes to WC3, how happy are theyvif WC4 has WoW content or actually becomes a spinoff? I dont think anything less than a completely new adventure with minimal ties to WC lore would suffice; basically treat all of Warcraft as we know as history.

Oh… no thanks, i don’t wanna see sh&%$y story writing anymore. Fancy graphics are overrated and are easier to do nowadays than 50 years ago, but story writing is still hard and will always be hard.
Examples of sh&%$ty writing by Blizzard: Overwatch, post Cataclysm WoW, SC2 Heart of the swarm (i don’t have plans to play legacy of the void), Diablo 3.

Well, Legacy of the Void is the better of the 3 :laughing:
It would have been better to skip the first 2 (literally they do not bring anything into the story)

LOTV was great until it got to the Kerrigan God parts. I’ll never understand why they ever planned to make that the series ending.

1 Like

You’re missing something important here. DOW 3 was a bad game. It failed NOT because it was an RTS but because it was a poorly done RTS. There’s still a lot of love for the old RTS games. Devs just haven’t made something as good as them.

2 Likes

I dont doubt there is still love for the genre. There is still a lot of love for Adventure games and Beat em ups. That love comes from an aging demographic, and frankly there is less money coming from this stingy bunch of anti-microtransaction gamer.

Look at Epic. Unreal Tournament games were more of what people wanted… Until people didnt want it anymore. They tried to continue to push that hardcore deathmatch image with Paragon even. But the setting is different today, and Fortnite appeals to a bigger crowd. I dont see WC4 doing that by sticking to its hard-to-master RTS roots. I do think a ‘modern’ RTS would end up looking more like Clash Royale or Pikmin than it would Warcraft 3, and ultimately that is not a game we (as traditional fans) really want to see.

I honestly dont think there is a modern ‘good’ RTS today. The good ones we have tend to follow some timeless formula that no one can touch. They survive on nostalgia and widespread recognition. I dont think a new sequel that uses the same formula would work today, nor do I think innovating would help considering how little faith gamers have today for Blizzard and new ideas. Catch 22.

1 Like

4X games are RTS games, what are you smoking? The 4 x’s are, eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate. It’s literally SC2’s MO. You start the map dark, you find which is their base, you can/must expand and exploit resources, to ultimately exterminate the enemy. That’s SC2. That’s Wc3.

So nice try.

1 Like

With immortal and now alien isolation 2, It’s looking like Warcraft 4 might be mobile. They’ll combine it with hearthstone cards where you train a dozen orc grunts at the barracks and then on the side of the screen you use your warsong commander card to give them +1 attack. I’m not being serious but I don’t think blizz knows what to do after starcraft2. Games get more visually complex every few years and the overhead view makes such details irrelevant.

For Warcraft 4 what if zooming in on a unit gave that unit more tactical control? Let’s say you zoom in on a dozen selected orc raiders and they become more tactical by having their wolves jump over obstacles to be faster in hit and run tactics. Ensnare is used to bind air but zoomed changes its fuction to grab a unit and drag it away from the main group like a zerg viper.

Zoom in on your orc grunts, they roar like the cinematic which Lets them live an extra second longer after their hp hits zero. Makes upclose visuals matter in a game where smaller battles matter and an alternative way to play the game.

Whatever blizz does they are going to have to go beyond what we do now.

1 Like

If they need to incorporate mobile into Warcraft 4 there are ways they can without ruining it. Mostly it should not be mobile exclusive.

One way I think might work well is to have one hero be controlled by an individual player (maybe with a 3rd person camera angle) and another player controlling the base. That way they could make a mobile (or maybe console or vr for that matter) version for those just controlling a hero, and base control can stay PC.

Highly unlikely unless World of Warcraft has EoL and i doubt that will happen. They are more likely gonna keep updating/upgrading the game to current tech until there isn’t enough sub base anymore. I also highly doubt a WoW2. Now I wouldn’t made seeing a Galaxy of Starcraft but that would kill off Starcraft as an RTS the way WoW killed Warcraft RTS in lore is tied up in the MMO.

SC2 did that to the lore on its own.

RTS means Real Time Strategy and the vast majority of 4X games are not Real Time.

Also if you fail to see how a 4X game is not the same kind of game as Warcraft or Starcraft, then the problem is yours.
It’s a totally different genre.

RTS are fast-paced strategic games

WOW is not canon for me, f%ck WOW, W3 ended with FT. I don’t know why people compare them.

2 Likes

They compare them because despite how anyone feels about it, WoW is canon.

1 Like

They haven’t said this, in fact, Wc3 reforged is being changed to fit with wow lore.

It wasn’t great, at all, Hots already had kerrigan RPG boss fighting which was completely out of touch with the game and the entire story was ridiculous, then LOTV went even further beyond.

Sc2 wasn’t even close to sc1 in terms of story, remember Mengk’s speech? now that was good writing.

Not saying that WoL story sucked but it wasn’t on the level of sc1.

1 Like