Why is the refund policy revoked?

Hi,

I hear via various sources that the refund policy is revoked. I’m wondering why. Quite literally nothing has been fixed since release. Still joinbugs, still terrible UI overall. Sound is quite often still an issue. Game crashes at given points, sometimes randomly, there is very poor coding for those with anything less than perfect internet, EU server is bugged since launch (and still is), match making for ladder doesn’t work, ladder itself is bugged, profiles often don’t load or don’t load properly, campaign is still a scatterplot with bugs, many basic QoL features are not implemented (be able to see enemy race after the game started, be able to see map and vetoes and ally names / races when in queue c.q. not being team captain). Every ladder game still fails to retrieve data. Tournaments are bugged. In fact: they even seem to have forgotten to offset starting times so EU tournaments start in the middle of the night. Those who linked legacy account still await their little gift. AT vs RT is very broken. Map vetoes still don’t work. Nobody can actually get in the highest division of ladder, even if you are the top 0.1% playing. Some maps still drop items as ring +2 or tomb of experience as these items were hardcoded and not linked to the item table that was update many patches ago. Playing your 12th 1on1 game may place your rank in 3on3 AT. If a team mate leaves the game, after the game, the visuals will change to a loss, sometimes same items don’t share cooldowns. Stats may show 5 - 1 but the details show 6 - 0. Often an mmr of minus 1 is presented. LAN functionality isn’t in the game (it only says it is, but still played on regular internet servers). And this goes on and on…

The list is roughly as long as when the game was released. Some aspects actually got worse.

Mods, I know bugs have to be reported in the bug forum. One by one. We did. Many times. Nothing was done.

So wondering: why is the refund policy changed? The game is still as bad as it was at release and way way below legacy standard we had. At best someone can argue if this game has gone from alpha state to pre-beta stages.

5 Likes

Reforged was on sale a while back, so they might have revoked the refund policy to prevent fraud.

Also, the game has been out for a very long time. It doesn’t make sense to extend a refund policy indefinitely.

what does it mean that I entered the half-life recently? the game has been on sale since 2020

As far as I know, it’s still there. but also the regular refund policy is still available regardless, and you really should be able to tell within the terms of that policy whether or not the game is playing acceptably for you.

The game is mostly fine(ish) now, with nearly all of its missing functionality restored, and most of the worst bugs adressed (either fully or at least partially).

The main isues that remain now are mostly editor related, with the exception of the current issue with many users getting lower FPS than they used to for no discernable reason (which is agreeably frustrating, though if your machine is beast enough you can overcome this issue if you’re affected by it)

But to answer the question, the special policy was the main reason the game was never included in battle.net sales. The game was discounted in the recent summer sale. So if it is actually not being honored anymore, then this would be the reason.

Quite literally lots of things have been fixed since release. I dunno what a “joinbug” is, but I’ve never had one. It sounds like a networking issue to me. The biggest issue with war3R at release wasn’t even bugs, it was how they removed like half the game when they released it. virtually all of that functionality is back with the exception of custom game saves. And while they have definitely introduced several new ones, many bugs have been fixed.

2 Likes

On sale as in “offered at a reduced price,” not on sale as in simply “available for purchase.”

2 Likes

The special refund that was set up specifically for Reforged (no questions asked) is gone. Now it falls on the general Battlenet refund policy that all the games are on.

You must be new here. A ton has been fixed and/or restored.

1 Like

Pretty sure once the game went on sale for 50% off people took advantage of the refund policy to get some of their money back and it was removed soon afterwards due to this.

But OP, you’re claiming nothing has been done on the game - that is demonstrably false.

3 Likes

Yeah. When this game released it didn’t have the single player function, but they added that function back in a patch. When this game released, unit with modified data in classic graphics didn’t display their shadows anymore. But now that was added back in. When this game released the render engine was capable of displaying KMTF chunks, like the water effect on naga buildings in classic graphics. But that was removed in a patch, so now naga buildings look like visual artifacts and 3D computer glitches or distortions.

You gotta give credit where credit was due, a bunch of things were edited after release on this game.

And why are you accusing him of spreading false information, especially without proof?

I’m not spreading any false information.

Sometimes people make errors. That is not “spreading false information.” We are all humans, and sometimes we make errors. I was mistaken on the FPS issue, where my comparisons leading me to say “i have no issue” was based on a difference in graphics settings on the PTR vs live. Before you go around criticizing people, maybe remember next time that they might have simply made a mistake and approach any response from that angle.

The last time I looked (wh ch admittedly was weeks ago, during the sale), the support topic for seeking special refunds for War3R was still there. Maybe that’s changed since, but it was still there at the time.

1 Like

Check above that @Leviathan and @kiezel argument that!

An error was made. There was no intention to “spread” anything. I already explained that, but you seem to be ignoring that fact.

1 Like

Also, the game has been out for a very long time. It doesn’t make sense to extend a refund policy indefinitely.

It doesn’t make sense to revoke a refund policy for a broken game that is still as broken. Time duration has nothing to do with it. Quality does.

It has been 3 years, and most of the game’s bugs have been fixed.

most of the game’s bugs have been fixed.

LMAO. Did you check the bug report forum? Ladder isn’t even functional. EU server doesn’t work in 90% of the cases. This game is pre beta stage.

Yes it is. I mean, it should be functioning a lot better than it does, but saying it’s “not functional.” is a falsehood.

Worked for me perfectly just 10 minutes ago. Heck it recorded the last match I played faster than it ever did on NA.

Now, I"m not saying it’s perfect- it’s far, far far from it- but the main points of consternation that caused the playerbase to rage at release have been addressed- Primarily, all the pre-Reforged functionality that was removed/disabled at release, which has been restored. some bugs have been fixed (and some new ones introduced), and there have even been a few new features, at least one of which was added after being begged for by the community (custom / farther out zoom levels).

They removed the special policy because (after nearly 2 years, anyway) they did eventually release the features and functionality they said were coming, and most of the playerbase who raged back then have already refunded.

The regular refund policy still applies, and you really should be able to tell within a matter of hours of gameplay if the game is working for you in order to refund it within the regular refund period.

2 Likes

Good it worked for you. Meanwhile many EU vs EU matches are played with 120 ping or more. In more than half of the cases. Because it diverts to the US server.

120 ping is totally playable. This is not a twitch action shooter. Now, I certainly find the matches with Asia players to be less than ideal, but

And it’s not diverting to the US server, the ping is higher because there is a US/NA player in your game. And if there’s an Asia player in your game, itt’l be higher than that. As far as I can tell, it’s just whoever the server picks for the match first. NA players get pings like yours just as often whenever EU players are queued.

Matchmaking is global, this is not a bug. The only “bug” is they don’t have as many server locations as they should to create the best possible balance for all players in the match.

1 Like

We have had this discussion before: 120 ping is not totally playable. It is beyond terrible. Anything above 40 - 50 becomes an issue. Even at times of GG client and listchecker pro players would have like 10 MS and will opt for a neutral host, as even 5 MS can be notable difference. No player above 1500 mmr on champions thinks 120 ping is good ping.

Again, I iterate, again: EU is bugged. There is no reason in a 1on1 game where two EU people play against each other to be put on the US server. Why have Dutch vs German play both with 120 ping instead of 25? This happens more often than not.

2 Likes

It absolutely is.

This is elitism. I don’t think I’ve ever had a ping under 50 playing this game, even with the Chicago server added which is closer to me. No problems playing games, no problems microing, no issues at all even around 70-90ms. Demanding 40-50 is elitist lol. Even in a shooter which as far as I’m concerned is far more demanding and ping sensitive, 40-50 is what I would call excellent.

~100 ping is a tenth of a second. Most players don’t even regularly perform inputs at this rate.

There is absolutely no way I could blame my game performance on ping whatsoever unless I’m in an Asia server game (here in the US), where pings are often 150-170, where things start to feel sticky. I even previously polled the W3 Gym discord and found most people didn’t have any significant issue until around this level of latency.

Regardless, it is clearly subjective, and while your perfectionist elitism might be bothered by more than the most absolutely perfect ping, anyone who is performing at your level to where this is any kind of a problem are probably playing on W3C anyway. And your statement that games get “diverted” to NA is false at worst and misleading at best. You only play games on the NA server with NA ping if there are NA players in your game. Admittedly this is often, but I play with NA → EU pings pretty often too, so frankly I think we’re all being affected by this pretty equally. It also varies greatly with time of day, as each region has more players at different times.

The only true way to fix this is to remove global matchmaking, but they’re not going to do that because frankly it is needed for queue times to be acceptable with the current state of the playerbase.

As an aside: Pings from one side of the US to the other are around 80-90ms at best. All of us one one coast or the other have to deal with this at least some of the time in almost every game out there (while people in the central US have to deal with something in between basically at all times). Your expectations are unrealistic, Warcraft 3 or not.

3 Likes