Why doesn't Reforged use the same servers as StarCraft 2?

Hi,

On StarCraft 2 when you host a game, you have the choice of which server you want to host the game on. For instance, when you play in the North America region, you can host your game on the Eastern U.S. server (Virginia), Central U.S. server (Chicago) or Western U.S. server (Los Angeles). Reforged seems to be hard-locked to a western server. Why is there no choice here? On StarCraft 2, I have 10 ping to East, 25 to Central, and 70 to West. On Reforged I am stuck at 90-120 ping.

To make matters worse, locking it to a western-based server makes it terrible for European players to play cross-server, as opposed to a server based in the Eastern U.S. It seems like an easy fix to just use the same system that StarCraft 2 does. Why did Blizzard choose a different route? Will these servers ever be fixed?

8 Likes

I can top this:

Why does reforged not use warcraft III servers?
There was literally no issue with this on TFT.

1 Like

I’d wager they are, but even if they aren’t using the original servers, this issue would still exist. The only reason it didn’t exist before was because TFT didn’t have global matchmaking, the gateways locked you to certain servers.

I’m located in the Netherlands. On TFT I’d have 20 ping playing vs someone in Germany or the UK. On reforged it can be 20, or 250. Who knows. It is a random roll. Playing vs Asia gives me 450 ms. On TFT or Netease this is 200 - 250.

I’m not sure what they are doing, but it is hella inefficient.

Again, that has nothing to do with TFT. It has to do with global matchmaking. If they turned it off, and just let people queue up for that specific data centre you’d have the exact same ping you had in TFT.

Actually you’d have better ping cause of the inbuilt lag they had built into the old servers.

I don’t get it.

TFT: NL - UK ping = 20
Reforged: NL - UK ping = 200

Both are Europe server in both games. It is geographically not further away.
Same for Asia, the continent did not move. Yet my ping is x2 - x10 compared to TFT.

If you’re getting 200 ping, you’re not playing on the data centre in the Netherlands. You’re probably playing on a US server.

TFT had 4 gateways. US WEST, US EAST, EUROPE and ASIA.

These 4 had a server each. When you logged into a gateway, you basically region locked yourself to that server when you played games.

So when you picked the EUROPE one, you had 20 ping every game because you only played on one server.

HOWEVER

Now the game is global. The servers still exist, except you aren’t region locked anymore. So if you queue up, there’s a chance you get a US WEST server game, or ASIAN server game. Thus your ping increases.

This has nothing to do with TFT being better. If they turned off global matchmaking, and let people pick their server, Reforged would have the exact same ping for you every game like you did with TFT. In fact, it would be better, because the old servers had in built lag since they came in when the internet was older, they brought it down a year or so ago, but it still existed.

That option in battlenet does nothing but change which custom games you see (99% sure of this). The VS matchmaking is global and thus that option is pointless. It’s why pros are using pads matchmaking plugin. Cause it locks the game to finding people who are using the same region as you to match you against.

So, why would they let two EU citizens play on US server to battle out their 1on1?
How come that I can now have ladder games with 400 ping, while in TFT I could get max 250 on asia?

Perhaps the servers are not the issue, but the routing is.
Bottom line, people experience unnecessary problems with latency. Can’t argue with those emperics : /

That I can’t answer. It seems to be a problem they have with the matchmaking program. It should be finding 2 players, and then assigning the server based on which server is closest for the person the game considers the host. But there are times where 2 EU players get on US servers. Idk why this happens, and I’d like Blizzard to tell us.

It seems to have been getting better though, I haven’t been seeing as many posts about the issue, not like back when Remo was getting 6 of 7 games on US servers when all of his opponents were also European.

I doubt there’s that much of a difference.

Again, no. The problem is global matchmaking. If TFT didn’t have gateways and did global matchmaking, YOU’D HAVE HAD THESE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS IN TFT.

People experience these problems because Blizzard wants us to have instant queues from having a bigger playerbase. Something I disagree with, and if ladder ships, it 100% can not have global matchmaking.

Well, it’s definitely not the exact same as the TFT servers. There is no U.S. East server anymore, at the bare minimum. The only U.S. server is west now.

Regarding the global matchmaking aspect of ladder in Reforged: This makes it even worse that they decided to pick Western U.S. as the sole American server. It’s like the developers didn’t consider how bad it would be for Europeans to play on a server from California as opposed to New York.

Are you sure? I’m Oceanic and I’ve had 190-200 games and 250 games and that lines up with the 2 pings I get playing HOTS on US servers. Maybe it’s West and Central instead of East?

There is for sure only one American server for custom games and it’s from the west coast. It’s also exceptionally poor. Like I said originally, I have 90-120 ping on it, whereas on the StarCraft 2 Los Angeles server I have a smooth 70 ping. I don’t play ladder, so maybe it’s different for ladder games (I doubt it).

It should be neutral server for both and between both but even so they could go SC2 way of handling it. Right now its just poorly made. I dont see how they can have global server and no lag…

For Europe the only acceptable would be US East, they shouldnt admit any other, but it’s old game and they want to push all in 1. Well they shouldn’t old servers were more OK?

But they also need to find the balance between suitable players (close MMR) and suitable ping. Even if that limits to fewer players. They can mix with more players if they add nearby Regions - US East and Russia at most for Europe. No far East - KR. CHina, Japan.

Just give us the ENT servers, i mean they provided better ping for me, ever since the removal of hostbots and dedicated servers which i am for, i can’t deny the fact i had better ping in ENT and MMH bot era.

It got worse with dedicated servers, and even worse with Reforged.
We need better connection.

I would really like to hear back from Blizzard on this. The current servers make many custom games that require low ping much less enjoyable. I imagine it must also be very frustrating for ladder players having to play with 200+ ping regularly.