Why different games have different ping?

Has anyone investigated what the ping value is actually based on?

Different 4v4 games and different ping in each…

I assume that its due to region of which players are from, correct?

If so - why then are we matched with opposite side of the world like for example asians, when playing from europe?

• the ping skyrockets making the game unplayable…
  • communication is 0 - cannot read nor use those hieroglyphs, cannot even see them during the game (blank)…

asia + euroup = 2000 ms ping = stupid patch

Ping is based on the distance to the server the “host” connects to.

If you look at custom games, every game hosted by people connected through the same gateway will show the same or nearly the same ping.

In melee games you can tell which region “player 1” is connecting from by the ping. If you’re in NA and you see pings near or over 300ms, you know it’s an Asia game. If its between 1-200 its probably an EU game, and around 100 or less its an NA game.

Ping has nothing to do with the patch LMAO. ping is a network issue not a game issue.

And if you have 2000 ping, something is seriously wrong and it isn’t the game. You’re either playing on the moon or downloading a naughty media collection.

So they are deliberatelly making the game unplayable with this bs matchmaking… Great.

I start to wonder how crazy you must be to get hired there…

It’s not unplayable at all lol. You’re just spoiled by 20 pings in popular first person shooters with servers on every other block. Whereas this game only has four server locations that I’m aware of, on the east and west coast of the US, somewhere in Europe, and somewhere in southeast Asia.

Guess what? This game isn’t that popular. And that means less servers. Servers cost money, and due to the failiure of a launch the game probably never made any money in the first place due to all the refunds given.

What DOES make a game unplayable is if you can’t find any games. That’s why matchmaking is global. Bad ping is better than not being able to play the game at all. Or at least that’s the logic here- the lesser of two evils.

I’ve played through many games with KR players, and while the high ping is certainly irritating, it is far from “unplayable.” This isn’t a twitch action game and it is not as seriously affected by higher ping times compared to other types of games. 300 ping is still just 3 tenths of a second. It does make micro harder but unplayable? no, it’s not unplayable.

You can blame Activision for trashing this project after it bought Blizzard. they didn’t consider it worth investing in and cut staff and defunded the project. It’s a miracle it released at all in any state. But it’s not the fault of the developers, it’s the fault of Activision for firing staff and taking the funding away. And unfortunately, it appears Microsoft cares about as much about the Blizzard back catalog as Activision did.

thats how blz ruin 4vs4, give u 3x moron+aisa seaver+random ne, great!

Yeah, they shadowbanned you- you can still play but you only get poop games with poop players! Frankly I think this is exactly how toxic behavior should be punished >.> You only get to play with other toxic players!

300ms is enough to make the game unpleaseant…
Especially when you know that is not your doing but blizzard screwing game experience on purpose…

Yeah, so we have 7 players from europe eager to play… so lets give them one asian and host the game in asia so they will benefit from:

• really bad ping
  • teammate/opponent who they will not be able to talk to

AWESOME!

I agree it’s not ideal. but it’s not “unplayable.” This literally means “cannot be played.” which is simply not true.

They aren’t “purposely screwing your experience” - they’re trying to make the best of a difficult situation. And you have to remember you aren’t the only person in the games you play- Someone is likely being screwed to some extent in literally every game you play (at least, by your standard), since almost all games include at least one person from a different region. While the difference for people in the US (at least towards the east coast) and Europe is generally not so big, there is still a difference. And just as often, it’s the other guy who has to deal with the high ping instead of you.

Again, it’s not an ideal situation- but people are generally impatient and if queue times are too long, people will give up and thus even fewer games will happen- eventually it becomes a self fufilling prophecy where nobody will play because they don’t find any games, and they don’t find any games because nobody wants to wait. As much as it would be preferable for either A) games to be seperated by region or B) servers in more locations so ping discrepancies will be smaller on average. You can be sure that Asian player doesn’t enjoy the 300 ping he gets when matched into a game hosted on NA either, but as I’ve said, they are probably more willing to tolerate it than you are because there are fewer players in that region.

This isn’t some super huge popular game with millions of active players that has a large enough player pool to seperate games by region. Thus, the devs saw it as necessary and frankly I agree. occasional iffy pings in games is preferable to not finding games at all / waiting much longer than we’re used to.

1 Like

Didn’t we have global matchmaking in TFT without crazy pings? Did something change in their server architecture when they moved to Battle Net 3.0?

No. In Old Battle.Net, matchmade games were not cross region.

1 Like