Why didnt horde develope tanks?

Why horde was always left behind in technological advancements? Human has steam tanks already.

2 Likes

I rationalize it this way. The horde at the time of Warcraft III is made up of basically 3 tribes or nomads who really none of which had any technological feats at the time (best I can think of is the warsong catapults). Probably not until Gazlow sets up shop in Orgrimmar in the bonus campaign does the horde really get any real engineers. On the other hand the Alliance at this point has already enlisted TWO races, the dwarves and the gnomes, to help them advance their technology. Also the alliance had spent years building up and advancing their own nations. Orcs, Tauren, and Trolls strike me as being very primitive and always on the move which would make any real technological advances that much harder. Until they settled in Durotar that is. Just my two cents.

5 Likes

Hiding behind shields is for cowards.

Humans do not have tanks. They are loaned by dwarves only during time of allied war.
In War3 all techno units are gnome or dwarf. Humans are just dudes with sword and shield.

They have riflemans tho and allkind of energy towers, so they have managed to master magic too…

Lore-wise, the Alliance Races are all long-term inhabitants who have access to an established industry. The Horde is a collection of nomadic or displaced races with no real place to call their own, until the founding of Orgrimmar. At this point in history, which melee gameplay is based on, they wouldn’t have had much resources to create tanks. What access to metal that they had would have been reserved for weapons, and most of their war machines are made of wood and scrap metal.

At this point, their version of ‘Tanks’ are Kodobeasts. Not because of lack of technology, moreso because of a lack of industry and resources. They just started a new city, and of all places, established it in a harsh environment.

1 Like

It is like the other said.
The orcs just escaped the internment keeps two years ago and lived then on the run, the trolls lived on an island and the tauren like the Kaldorei lived in harmony with the land so they had no need for technology. If you would give the horde one decade aka Warcraft IV the technological difference would actually be only slightly different.

I don’t know about the lore in WoW, but the Orcs in Warcraft III always struck me as “primitive” and spiritualistic. That’s their strength: sheer force, will and the blessings of the spirits. OP and others in this thread seem to assume that “technology = superior”, but that’s not true in a fantasy world. Each race and subrace (dwarves, etc.) has its own flavour.

If “technology = superior” were to be true, then we’d end up with a rather boring science fiction style of world where each race would only have slightly differing variations of the optimal technologies, kind of like Command and Conquer.

how dare you call of command conguer boring. its in you mind. besides cnc remastered was terrible and not at all like original cnc. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Not the games themselves were kinda boring, but the story/lore, you dummy. I played all of them between Red Alert and Generals.

Still hoping for Generals & Zero hour to get remakes.

Here’s to that!

Riflemen are dwarfs.

The reason is that they didn’t discover about the red paint yet.

Would warhammer sue for orcs in tanks?

Who are the dwarfs counterparts? Goblins vs gnomes, trolls vs high elves, orcs vs humans. Are tauren and worgen counter because they are the beast type? Wow made the blood elves purposely the draenei counterpart to sell their expansion. The vulpera makes me think the alliance will get a new midget race to hang out with gnomes.

Back to orcs,
I think the wow iron horde started to get industrialized before players put it down. The breaker giants would be horde tanks if they put a burrow on its back.

You’re comparing a human to a Hulk that is why Horde never made tanks, they’re full of fel magic energy that they could flip it over.

Yeah because Garrosh brought all those weapon planes from the future. That would be like travelling as a weapon manufactor back to pre WW II and giving Hitler all those modern designs.

Yeah but my idea kind of was reforged set warcraft 3 timeline a bit forward- maybe 18 years? Why wouldnt they then have some technical advancement.

possible reasons:
1 they decided they had no money to pay a concept designer.
2 they paid for a concept designer and he copied the units they already had without even realize it.
3 they paid for a concept designer and his ideas were so good that they discarded them.
4 they hired a concept designer and used him as a network programmer.
5 the guy who did the user interface, the back end programming, the ladder, the profiles, the chat scrolls and the new cinematics had no time to design the new units.
6 once that tank footprints will be added, they’ll add the tanks.
7 they are still lost trying to understand why red paint makes tanks go faster, but there will an update about that in the next future.
8 coronavirus prevented them to develop new unit concepts in 2018.
9 soon. it is planned to be released in the new big update that will come with ladder, profiles, pink invisible unicorns and brand new cinematics.
10 they had to choose between tanks and reconnection buttons, so they didn’t implement both.

Anyway you are right, it would have been nice to see some progression in the units…

1 Like

No, dwarves have steam tanks already*

Orcs/trolls/ogres/tauren don’t because they’re a bunch of (so far) nomadic tribes with very little technological development, no development culture and very few resources.

It fits their lore well.

ye but… goblins have technological stuff…