Why are the campaign portraits only for Reforged graphics?

I just got done with the entire undead campaign on hard (path of the damned) thinking I’d be getting the campaign portrait for completing such missions on hard… I have zero progress. I’ve looked into it and apparently it has to be done with the new reforged graphics? Some of the missions took a really long time… I’m not going to go do them again just under a different ‘graphic’ setting… what?! how bogus is that… the reforged graphics suck…

I’m an oldschool warcraft 3 player and much prefer to play with the old graphics because everything is clearer for me to tell what’s going on… in reforged you can’t even tell the difference between Necromancer skeletons and ghouls… it’s really bad.

Who made this dumb decision to lock the portraits behind reforged graphics?

You can use cheats to complete campaign missions and unlock if you don’t want to redo the campaign for the portraits

The reason is to lock them out from people who didn’t buy Reforged so that there’s at least one other thing besides the different graphics that you get for buying it.

1 Like

Are you saying that Warcraft 3 can be played on battle.net some way other than Warcraft 3 Reforged? I thought that was the only working client for it on battle.net. Is the original reign of chaos and the frozen throne still playable? I thought they disabled it when Reforged came out…

It’s my understanding if you didn’t buy reforged, you’re not currently playing Warcraft 3 at all so I’m not sure who it’s locking it out from… they can’t play at all without buying reforged lol

Anyone who has a Reign of Chaos / Frozen Throne CD key bound to their Battle.net Account is permitted to download and play the Reforged client without paying any additional money. But, when they do, the “Graphics: Classic / Reforged” toggle switch is disabled, and refuses to toggle to Reforged.

The game still uses 30 GB of space on their hard drive – in order to achieve the promise of “cross play with the original,” they simply download the Reforged client and block these users from using Reforged graphics.

Or so I’m told. In reality, I’m one of the people who paid for the Reforged via preorder, so, the Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne CD keys bound to my accounts are ignored.

1 Like

Yes. If you have a Warcraft III Reign of Chaos CD key on your battle.net account, you do not need to buy Reforged to play. But if you don’t, you can only play in Classic mode (And you can’t get the campaign achievements, as we established.)

Reforged was actually implemented as a patch to the original game. Thus, everyone who was already playing it at the time it came out were not required to buy it unless they wanted the new graphics, hero skins, and these achievements.

This makes more sense to me, I didn’t realize, I tried downloading playing the old Warcraft 3 and you basically can’t log on anymore… So I didn’t understand what CaptainJack was saying… but now knowing that you could still play reforged without buying it it makes sense. Back when reforged first came out I didn’t think they let you do that with a ROC/TFT key on your account (as I have as well). Good to know, but still sad that the old client will never be used again. The new Reforged client is very laggy in the UI/Main menu’s (but fine in game).

When you go online with the old version, it will update to Reforged, because again, it was implemented as a patch to the game. It’s still the same engine etc.