What Warcraft 3 Reforged should have look like

What we want

What we get

18 Likes

Cool but remember that Warcraft 3 gameplay needs a very clear and vivid theme and units. I am not sure the one that you want is good for the melee mode. It might be good for the campaign though.

3 Likes

As an animator myself. I want to be clear here, those models that are shown in that video are the exact same as reforged (characters and buildings!) The only difference is the engine, and terrain. Once the terrain is made more aesthetically pleasing Reforged will look amazing. I am also sure people will add some HDRI mods for reforged, which could also give it a lot more depth and colour and reflections.

But I don’t think the unreal gameplay is that different model and animation wise. It’s only terrain and terrain effects that are making it look “Better” and even then I think reforged looks great. I am not going to climb on the horse “It’s a beta, it’s not finished thing” But, I will climb onto the “it’s only the current build that’s not up to date” train. As someone who has worked with a team in animation, I am a firm believer most of the things your seeing are being worked on almost every hour, and updated in build (Blizzards build) everyday. most “Problem’s” that people note aesthetically can easily be fixed. Want some more wear and tear on buildings? create an alpha, displacement, or bump map. Want some more reflections? easy, paint some more white on those reflection maps! most “Texture problems” can be fixed in under a day. Model problems, are more complex, but I personally believe all the models look fantastic, and that people are complaining mostly about the textures.

Then animation, this is the most complex one, however animation is always possible to be simply changed on a character with the same rig. So, if Grommash has a single handed weapon attack, tweaking that to give it more anticipation should take a day or 2 (animation takes a very, very long time) and can then be replaced in game. If it’s a brand new animation, I’d say 4 days to a week. (not on blizzard quality) about 2 weeks if you want it near perfect.

Adding a new lighting system, or new HDRI, I have no idea how complex it would be, but it would improve shadow and light aesthetic. I really do think once all textures are up to standard the game will look amazing character wise (they look amazing on their own)

Blizzard need to mainly improve the terrain, once the terrain and lighting is better the game will look better than that video.

Have patience. Game development, animation and all artistic things you see in game, take a very long time to make and improve. there isn’t a switch that a creator can just flip, it takes hours, upon hours of work to create a single “good” looking asset.

15 Likes

Thanks for your POV. I’m a little bit eased up but still concerned.

I am going to belive it when I see it…

1 Like

correction:
*what you want

3 Likes

This is just not true…what we are getting is much worse than that trailer

Well I quess you dont care much about all that if they had changed the game engine, ALL the custom game maps over the years would have been lost/not been able to transfer to be played with Reforged…

But I do as, and I dare say that anyone who has played WC3 custom games over the years would rather take full compatibility of the custom game maps with Reforged, rather than entirely new game engine that would have made that compatibility impossible. For sure the most popular custom games could have been remade over the years, but many others would have been lost forever/stuck only to be played in original WC3 Roc/TFT…

And lets not even talk about the fact that new game engine would have likely changed the way the game plays, especially noticable for any pro-players. I think Reforged team talked about this last year when they said that people might think that changing the game engine would mean that it would be incredibly difficult to get the game play exactly the way it would in the original, so that was another factor why they kept the old game engine and just built on top of it.

So again if you want entirely modern looking Warcraft RTS game, ask Blizzard to make Warcraft IV…even then many Warcraft players would likely complain that kind of looking Warcraft would not be colorful/cartoony enough look, many people are ALREADY complaining that the colors are not bright enough in Reforged…Warcraft is not supposed to look as dark as Diablo, bright colors are essential part of its artstyle

i agree with Nightwatcher here. the terrain is a problem + the trees and the “filter” saturation of the water. if these get fixed and smoothed (not so blocky and hard cutted sometimes) it wil look REALLY good.

and even this looks really good with this engine its another engine and this just won’t work with old WC3 - sadly.

and they can’t let it look like D4 cause - again - it is and HAS TO be another engine. if every guy has the money to buy a completely new WC3 and forget about the old one / give evry old WC3 player a free copy, they indeed could make a new WC3 with a new engine.

and then we still have to keep an eye on competitive (sadly). don’t forget about that. and these players want a game which they can read quickly without learning much new.

People using unreal engine to say what a whole community wants in term of graphics, while indies are being the kings with their own graphics styles nowadays.

Common, we are almost in 2020 lmao, Unreal is kinda trash for a lot of things, and good for others.

I do agree tho that war3 reforged could be better appealing to the eyes, but I guess they ll add some filters to make things looks better in the final product.

I see no reason for them to be holding back on those ‘filters’. If anything betas are used for testing purposes and performance / readability is of those tests. We’re about a month from release and you really think they’ll just magically enhance the the graphical fidelity of the game before / at release?

What you see is what you get unless a blue addresses that (which they won’t). I’m personally giving them 1-2 more patches before I refund.

3 Likes

but but… its beta!!

2 Likes

I agree with this. I watch Grubby sometimes and he needs to go out of his shell since he played SC2 for max a year or two if even that much. He commented recently what war3 he imagines it to be and the better for him as considered the much more cartoony look. As someone who played SC2 (and yes war3 was my game for like 7 years) nothing in slower speed war3 will scare me about the terrain. The current terrain looks like a toy, now im not saying it has to be AoE or any new like total war type of terrain, just needs better colors, 2018 demo at the 2018 Blizzcon I also think was better, besides the trees models that were lackluster.

Currently feels like as if someone just replaced the textures the way anyone can do in a mod, and has done. It is the terrain that could be better, specially Lordaeron Summer since it is the one that gets my eye the most.

I’ve done uni projects as a game designer and a player myself, I also dont think making the terrain better would be hard to see for melee or anything.

I can imagine other players like Tod would also be used to the cartoony terrain but would not mind if it were like in 2018 video, I may be making assumptions here but I feel like they mostly listen to Grubby’s preferences. I know there are others who would prefer looking like older style but then what’s the point of playing HD if you will get slightly more poly models if everything else is exactly the same as colors and the only difference is just slightly more detail in textures.

The colors and graphics change the feel if you are playing a new game which I want to get from this graphics refreshment. Models of units did it as they look good (phew because that would have been harder to remake and just wouldnt be redone), and terrain is easier to fix.

1 Like

The solution is the game bring back the graphics of The Culling demo from Blizzcon2018! Or make a option to play with powerful realistic beautiful strong graphics

1 Like

You don’t get much slower than this…

one single man vs team blizzard.
1 - 0

This guy worked better than the whole “Blizzard team”

3 Likes

I’m probably gonna ask for a refund if the game doesn’t look better when it releases. or stop buying blizzard games after reforged, diablo 3 sucked and now this…

5 Likes

I agree with your thought

This game is warcraft.

I guess its because lots of people has bad pcs… But yeah, I agree that those features should be back. Not the filter greyish color tho, but rn the palette does not fit the models either in my opinion. I mean for bad pcs we already have original War3.

Blizz also has to realize that we are almost in 2020