What does the purchase of Reforged do?

I have warcraft reign of chaos and frozen throne. What does the purchase do for me now that I bought it? Was it the same game or does it improve graphics? I know I should research theses things. I was wondering if it is like star craft and I could play the game either way but with a sale I got better graphics. Thanks. I did get a chance to try the prologue that was new… I am slowly going to play for the story as I am kind of not so quick about the game like I was when I beat frozen throne.

Yes! This is basically how it works. The only difference from StarCraft 1 Remaster is that Warcraft III (not remaster) is not free.

Also, Warcraft III and Reforged both share a new menu that was added in Patch 1.32, and this new menu is missing a few options such as ladder clans and custom campaigns.

purchasing reforged gives you access to the HD assets.

The fair unbaised answer is:
-updates/changes the graphics
-adds new achievements and player icons for completing the campaign
-Reforged makes the UI and game as a whole more moddable and enables things like external ladders like War3Champions among other potential things
-adds support for 24 players/forces and other improvements targeted at custom games
-moves the game to a client-server structure which in theory is more reliable, in practice, “it depends”
-alternate skins for select heroes
-Campaign maps now have checkpoints

However due to the game being prematurely abandoned by Activision due to the firing of its dev team, there are also some missing features:

• No official competitive play (The war3champions mod steps in to solve this problem though)
  • No clans/player profiles (w3c has a solution for this as well)
  • No custom campaigns (No solution for this exists other than installing a seperate copy of TFT)

These things were promised, but have been stalled by the firing of the dev team. Although it is possible that the new Classic Games Team, run by Vicarious Visions, which Activision recently purchased, may return to this after fixing D2R’s issues, no official word has been given as of yet.

If you’re really passionate about War3 and you spent oodles of hours playing custom games like some of us have, there is some value in Reforged, as the game did make some improvements to custom games that really expanded what map makers can do. But if you only care about the campaign, Reforged doesn’t offer much benefit other than changing the graphics (And addiing check point saves to the campaign).

1 Like

This is not part of Reforged. Classic users have access to it as well.

This is not part of Reforged. Classic users have access to it as well.

1 Like

All it really does is give you access to the HD assets during gameplay. Apart from that, Patch 1.32 in general completely broke the game and removed features it had had since TFT release. You’d be better off finding an older patch like 1.30.4.

It was added in Reforged. It did not exist prior to reforged.

I’m talking about the game client we have now, not simply the purchase. And some custom maps may not work correctly without it. People need to be aware that going back to a pre-reforged version of the game (whether they purchased it or not) will lose access to some legitimate improvements, and going back to the old version is mostly useless outside of the campaign without using a private server, which is technically a violation of the terms.

The single player achievements and the associated player icons can’t be earned unless you’re in the reforged version of the campaign.

This is also not true. I had Reforged, when starting the game and clicked the totally out of interface concept button I received a nice message saying “bla bla bla you have to buy Reforged if you want to bla bla bla”. Sending tickets, they couldn’t even wonder why the message appeared (atrocious bug tracking).

Refunded straight away.

The truth is, all Reforged added to this game is a reason to bury it once and for all.

1 Like

Well, the best way to bury it if you really feel that way is to stop talking about it. And stop playing it. Otherwise, your words are just air.

?
(add 10 more random characters)

Screw that. We don’t want other people making the same mistake we did and buying/playing this crap, so we’ll keep being vocal about it in the hopes someone actually listens.

1 Like

You don’t have any duty to make sure anyone else does or doesn’t do anything. There’s more than enough rage and fury on this forum already for people to make their own decisions.

When you keep bringing it up, that doesn’t bury anything, that just keeps it alive. This is already quiet enough that if you just do nothing, it will just fade away, and people can just forget this even exists and find something better to do with their time.

it reduces the quality of your experience

not really. you do need a fast harddrive and a high amount of ram to handle the HD assets however, as they are not pre-loaded. they are loaded as needed. if you try to construct a building for example, the assets for that building is loaded for the duration of the game. you might need 8 gigabytes of ram for the HD assets alone, in addition to what your system is using. it does depend on what races other players selects. if there is only 2 players, less assets is loaded. i have tested this myself by using a custom map where every rase is available and ran usage increases for each unique building built and unique unit trained.