We are still victims of ill game design for E-sports

I am sure this post was made by some AI writing algorith who makes topics like this who are closely constructed by words that are being used near the game but who doesnt in the end mean anything or have any point.

4 Likes

I wrote essentially the same thing you wrote in your paragraph with 12.2 lines instead of 8 lines according to the layout of my phone…

Here are two quality quotes for you to challenge your reasoning…

“Experience has shown that science frequently develops most fruitfully once we learn to examine the things that seem the simplest, instead of those that seem the most mysterious.”-(Marvin Minsky)

“All things should be made as simple as possible, BUT NO SIMPLER”-Einstein

Now, why would one want to examine simplicity if there wasn’t actually a bit of mystery to it? And, why is it important to at the same time be as simple as possible but no simpler?

What am I actually implying with all this?

Simple…

That different races are different just like different people write differently…

For mathematical proportioning sake, I would say that going 33% increase or decrease in the amount of wording is fair game for individual preference.

A 33% decrease? You have to be crazy to think that was only a 33% decrease. I’m starting to think you really are a topic-generating bot. Like seriously, under what circumstances could you possibly think my simplification was 2/3rds the length of your massive ridiculously long comment?

I pasted them both into word to get an accurate word count. Yours was 805 words. My simplified version was 74. More than 90% reduced.

Honestly I’m done with this conversation. It boggles my mind you could’ve read your comment, and then read mine, and seriously believed there was only a 33% difference. Likely you made a mistake counting, or some other simple mistake, but common sense still should’ve prevailed to prevent you from making such a horrendous, obvious mistake.

You get to decide what your purpose in writing is. If your purpose is to convince people of anything, cut the garbage and just write simply. If your purpose is for a few random internet people to think you write cool. I guess continue with the pointless exposition.

1 Like

I’m glad you wrote your lengthy response so that I can respond to KingOmelete’s point as I percieve that I can address it more effectively then yours as I continue to move on with my life with the aim of writing as simple as possible while still examining the mystery of simplicity.

So to KingOmelte:

They are both very different games but both do actually have an aim of differentiating the tank/cannon schematic @tier 1 as much as possible.

Due to starcraft having 3 races with no rpg element, the differential is so great that between two races it is a complete inversion and for the 3rd race it becomes non existent in sc1 and then over corrected in sc2. Let me lay it out for you…

Tank/Cannon
Zealot-Dragoon
Firebat-Marine
(Note that while this is an inversion in terms of the order how each race produces, it is still as different from each other as possible from such elements as protoss shields and hopefully non harmonic mathematical values)

When you get to the zerg race though, there is no unit scheme of tank/cannon although it is melee/missile with zerglings/hydralisks. This is where hydralisk sunken colony comes in to consideration and then starcraft 2 comes in to say “the sunken colony is actually suppose to be a warrior unit to complete the tank/cannon concept properly”

We all know that it was another grave mistake because now it is too similar to the other races while previously it was severely improper however, what do we know about the solution?

We would have never seen it with out the consultation of a philosophical evaluation which would bring us to the conclusion that the true tank/cannon concept is actually hydralisk and the overlord that occupies larva, however, far from the typical tank as it achieves tanking out of a concept of weakness with the utmost potential or utility aforementioned. A conflict to establish the utmost uniqueness in the 3rd race from the twisted inversion of the other 2.

So the comparative problem between wc3 and starcraft is found in the differentiation of the tank/cannon melee/missile concept where neither NE or Zerg are properly completed…

And why is this so disturbing for me in particular?
Because the games are set up in their design to act like these things would have been implemented for each race…

Wc3- A day/night cycle to make proper design happen.

Sc- Overlords that come from larva to make proper design happen.

Lol. Dude…your two quotes say nothing about simplicity being mysterious. One says the exact opposite. That we should be simple instead of mysterious.

1 Like

Careful, the right word is simplest in both quotes…

And di vinci says that “simplicity is the ultimate sophistication”

Not simple is the ultimate sophistication

Simplicity… SIMPLICITY

A really weird thread. I feel like Gandalf before having to tackle a Valarauko while being so tired and old.

1. What I have heard in my limited experience about StarCrafts is that Zerg are not swarmy enough in SC2. I.E., their units are too high quality, and they don’t get more economy from macroing like crazy (due to the 3 mine (er… mineral line) limit that wasn’t present in BW, right?).

2. If anything, the Night Elves are the most flavourful race in WC3. What suffers is not them but the Undead Scourge! Both in gameplay (DK-centred) and in lore. So, it impresses my imagination as to why you didn’t focus your cringy arguments on them.

And it’s easier.

1. The Undead only use le creaturae. I mean, not to be offensive, Nerubians and Blue Dragons are equal comrades and are one in the Lich King, but still, wasn’t the faction supposed to be a zombie community? If you look further, you’ll see that there are at least two cool units that aren’t even used - Zombies and Skeletal Archers!
  2. Necromancers could’ve worked as supply units or something. You need Necros to train/summon armies. They are a semi-elite demi-hero force. They make it so unique.
  3. The Blight is boring. Do something with it.

See? Of course, making these suggestions is cringy 17 winters later, but still more relevant than complaining about the purple-skins.

Did you ever think that over buffed huntresses that are an over compensation to an unaddressed problem isn’t the reality of the situation?

An overcompensation to the Protectors’ being able to uproot during the daytime?

Move fast during day with uproot capability only and move slow at night with only root capability to be precise.

New Post 5-13

A good question might be…

Why should zerg have a natural strength of reactive quantiy or agressive utility?

For one, thematic utility potential is already ready there, found as the overlord and the creep colony, with parallel comparison of the other races being the shield battery and bunker which are not natural because they are more powerful.

Two, the phrase “do not make units unless you are going to use them” is a profound concept to the zerg race in particular up to the point of “do not make buildings if you are not going to use them”

Comparing to WC3 the zerg design is the most familiar design concept to all 4 of their races and they have the freedom to tech in any direction of any time that they want. This is why zerg need a nature.

Second, even though all the ridiculous amount of speed upgrades could happen fast if not instantly. The consideration of taking the speed upgrades out and having zerg just move faster could work if zerg warriors and units slowly lose life off creep. And to not be too similar to the broodling, not completely die off… so lose life down to a minimum of 1 health point. On creep, slow regeneration and burrow as paused regeneration.

It would just go to show that the philosophy of winning with zerg is not full follow through commiting, but rather, wearing the opponent down and picking off key targets.

And the aspect of a more follow through style doesnt have to be lost because what if when the overlord mutates in to the broodling unit aforementioned, that when it burrows it becomes a sort of underlord and heals units around it with an aoe “tranquility boot effect”(dota2) that can be broken and put on a cooldown with merely the slightest trigger of offense against units under the effect, or the underlord itself.

Here’s your business philosophy lesson at the end of the day kids…

Fix the simple problem in your simple game for the sake of quality play in your game with quality graphics (win win win win)

And just throw starcraft in to the garbage can, trilogy and all and make a new video game inspired by the concepts that would have made it have at least a quality foundation
and then some how do it even better than before…

Wait… what’s that you say? You can’t make it happen?

Tell me more about your handicap game design philosophy as a video game company…

Still waiting on those hundreds of examples of people claiming zerg are thematically broken and it ruins the game…

You’re creating an arbitrary problem that doesn’t exist in order to make an argument for a different arbitrary problem that doesn’t exist. Both NE and zerg are fine thematically.

2 Likes

I’ll start with 69 people for starters on the very first immediate google search

and then let you think about how foolish what you say may be before I continue

1 Like

I have a horrible weakness for rambling.
For going on and on and on and on…
Respectfully speaking you put me to absolute shame for how much time your posts require to get through.

That said, to my eyes at least, a number of the issues you’ve brought up strike me as having less to do with design philosophy and more to do with the economics.

Particularly when referring to the Zerg.

4 Likes

Let me complete it as a philosophy for you then

The snaring effect from the quick fuse of multiple drones to make creep colonies

The overlords self destructing underground to release all the broodlings that their life pool is worth and currently valued all at once…

So when used together it becomes more of a reliable weakening

But since lord and drones are sacrificed for a reliable weakening, does it necessarily mean better economy?

Only really if the drones can unfuse out of the creep colony and go back to mining…

Putting the zerg food supply in to the conflicting red (since lord was lost)

Which was always identified previously as part of the game

And so much so, I will tell you… that it is critical to the philosophy of zerg in a mathematical representation…

Quite frankly though I think your sense hit the nail on the head, and I just drove it in all the way…

As foolish at it was to claim my revision only cut down on your post length by 1/3rd when it actually cut over 90%?

As far as that thread goes. It’s from 2015. Zerg was totally broken for a very short period during 2015 (the infamous launch of the Swarm Host that ruined the race).

2015 was a very unique, very unfortunate time for SC2. Bet you can’t find anything from prior to the HoTS release, or after the LotV release.

Even ignoring the fact that 69 people liking that post doesn’t mean 69 people feel the entire race is broken to the point they can no longer play the game, there’s a huge difference between “man this is broken” and “man this disgraces the races identity.” And the fact that your claim was “the majority of the fans and critics” thought they were broken.

But good job on that 1 4 year old post with a whole 69 likes.

1 Like

The rest of my post outside the paragraph talked about zerg…

And yet, here you are… 90% of your post talking about zerg

And? It’s called being off topic. We’re not even discussing WC3 anymore. It’s just another of many reasons why you shouldn’t ramble while making your point. It makes it that much easier for someone to distract from what you’re trying to say.

3 Likes

The inherrent problem with balancing the Shadowmeld at night with day bonuses for uprooted trees is that it implies buildings should be used offensively.

Which is like promoting Proxy Hall Militia and Tower rushing because Humans identity is building fast. This is a bad thing for the game because no race should be promoted to ‘Tower rush’ as a viable strategy. It’s always going to be considered cheese strat.

Here’s another bad example - Blight in lore corrupts and saps the life out of living units.
If you add that in as a game mechanic suddenly you open up major cheese strats rather than promoting healthy competitive gameplay. Suddenly Undead have the best defense in the game, and arguably the best means of tower rushing.

2 Likes

Humans already tower rush as a viable strategy…
The reason why it’s viable is because of how successfully it can be bluffed, especially minus the cancel mechanic…
Defense is much more a significant part of the game of wc3 due to upkeep as well…

So you would like to promote Night Elf building rush as a viable strategy? Is this ehat you are saying then? Think on what position you are defending and think of your answer clearly.

1 Like