WASD screen scroll control

Well, Im trying to give the OP the benefit of the doubt that he has a few more brain cells than people who are unable to read the guides and figure it out for themselves

Well, after all you did not answer the simplest of simplest quesiton.

He simply wanted to know “how to get WASD for camera movement.”

You failed to deliver an answer. But its not only you, just google it up, there are hundrets of threads in different locations in the interwebs, and in 17 years, noone gave a proper answer, because its not the people, its the game which fails to deliver the proper groundwork for it.

The only thing which triggers me about you is you constantly saying “its useles, noone wants, it learn to read”, because obviously there are people wanting that. This thread with exactly that question pops up like every day.

you wanna know something? If the OP were to say “hey im trying to setup AHK for WASD but im confused can you help me” I would ask him to msg me on Bnet and I would help him setup WASD

but I wouldn’t do that for you Mediah, you know why? cause Ive already tried that with you and you never listened

Wow, just drove back home and didn’t realize this was a hot topic. I get that this maybe a weird way to be playing, but for some reason I’m much more comfortable using WASD for camera movement, I find I can target better. Thank you both for arguing because it does prove that this is a hot topic and I could not find anything about this also on reddit or elsewhere. Wc3tutor, please share a step by step guide, or just repost what works, sorry this thread has grown and I’m lost. I’m tech savvy, however what might throw a wrench in all of this is I’m on a mac as well… Let the bashing begin!! :smile:

I do not have a guide on WASD setup, I Wrote the guide on QWER grid setup because that’s how I play, I don’t play with WASD

If you want WASD like I already said…

Step 1 - download Warkeys to move all hotkeys OFF away from WASD

Step 2 - setup AHK to swap WASD with Arrow keys (This is not easy, and I get that, but it is possible to do)

^ if you do that:

(your WASD will not work for your windows anymore, and you need to restart your PC every time you want to use ur WASD keys)

please do not listen to this troll mediah hes clueless

if you want more help give me your bnet 4 digit # so I can msg you privately, im sick of this newb

Dude AHK is simply a program rewriting the windows keys config. you basically tell windows "when i press W, instead press arrowkeyUP)

thus every time u press W, windows thinks you press arrowkey up.
thus WASD will stop working, changing the config requires a system reboot.

you are the one derailing this thread, I am trying to have a conversation with the OP

if the OP wants your help, then I guess I Wont keep helping him

I do not have a guide on WASD setup, I Wrote the guide on QWER grid setup because that’s how I play, I don’t play with WASD

BTW This is also not true. Your relinked guide is about how to setup grid buttons onto QWER, but NOT camera movement onto WASD.

Setting up grid buttons is possible because there are command lines for the different buttons in the customkeys.txt
For the cameramovement there are no such command lines thus you can not rebind them in the game files. Only by changing your windows cfg you may do so but than the buttons will not work anymore for everything else because windows thinks you pressed a different button (depending on ur ahk .cfg).

So yeah whatever im outta here, keep missleading people. have a good one.

@OP - I didn’t realize that, yea that is a problem, because AHK wont work for you… there is something else for macs though I think its called karabiner or something?

before moving your keys off away from WASD, think about your inventory items. In other games, inventory fits on the bottom row (ZXCVB) but in WC3 most people like having the inventory on TYGHB

The standard hotkey grid in WC3 is 4x3 which aligns nicely with QWER ASDF ZXCV with spells on QWER and ASD is Attack Stop hiDe and T=TP with inventory on YGHB

squishing WASD In there just forces you to move everything over 2 spots so inventory would only fit on YUJKM… or if you did try to squeeze it into the bottom row, nothing would match the in-game UI/HuD (hope that makes sense :stuck_out_tongue: )

that’s why it is recommend to not use WASD for camera, as you can just as easily scroll the screen using the mouse. THen you can rest your hand with your pinky on Ctrl/shift (for unit grouping) and the rest of your ringers align just under the #s 1234 with your thumb on spacebar

I really hope you realize Mediah is really clueless and what hes saying is false lol

If its doable: just send the OP an AHK .cfg and the corresponding customkeys.txt

if were able to use WASD just regular in /wc3 chat/ windows/ everything else
with that, i might even send you some money for your work, cuz community is asking for this for a god damn long time.

I don’t know man, I mean I can do it but I don’t think its worth it… its not even about the money really, but idk ill think about it

see heres the problem…

back when I wrote the guide for QWER it was like 3-4 years ago now, and there were a lot of bugs (incorrect keys) when I first set it up. It took a few months of testing to get it working without any flaws, and then blizzard started changing things, requiring me to edit it further.

If I do setup WASD, I cant guarantee it will be 100% flawless in a matter of a few days… and over the course of 3-4 years, the # of people who have requested this is literally about 10-12 people, in 3-4years… and I serioualy no joke, I helped one guy set it up a couple years ago, and when I was done it was so shtty he didn’t want to use it anymore… im not even making that up

It took a few months of testing to get it working without any flaws, and then blizzard started changing things, requiring me to edit it further.

i know exactly what you mean, your saying “mediah is to stupid to read” but would you believe me when i tell you i am working on a lefthanded customkeys.txt for the past 1,5 months now?
(and im barely done with nightelfs and orcs keybinds by now) I originally planned to release it when its finally done but if u keep blaming me “im to stupid” etc i can upload all i got right now dude.
And BTW: just because of my work there i can say 100% sure there is no way to remap WASD on camera without rewriting windows keystroke cfg.

So…wouldnt it be a LOT easier if blizzard would go out of their way and make a hotkeymenu like EVERY single other game out there these days?

you went back to ranting pretty quickly there, even when I try to be genuine with you :frowning: very annoying

I just finished explaining how the # of people requesting this is actually very very small

congrats man, go ahead and release it when its finished, then the other 3 people wanting to use the numpad can use that too

ur so full of sht its beyond believe. keep dissing lefthanded people. trust me theres way more people playing like that than you would imagine.

im finally done with you. cya.

I will try to get used to this. I do agree I’m probably not helping myself by using WASD. Again for some reason, I find I can target better by NOT moving the mouse so much and instead moving the camera (screen) with keys as opposed to moving the mouse to the border.
I disagree though that there is a small number people wishing to use WASD for screen control. I wish Blizz would allow control like they have in HOTS.

did you look into trying any of the tools I mentioned?

1 Like