Warcraft III: Reforged Developer Update

I have only one question.
Do you plan to separate the old War3 from the reforged ?
Because I’m not touching the new one, and the old Warcraft 3 was ruined with the merge.
I’d love to go back to playing the old War3 on LAN with my friends.

So let me get this straight… The updated cutscenes that made fantastic use of the new models were cut because Blizzard wanted to preserve the spirit of the original campaign? Preserving the original campaign was also the reason for cutting the ‘remastered campaign’ which was supposed to update the lore, correct?

Then I’m left with two questions:

1. Why is the one cutscene that actually was remade used to advertise the game on the official website? Why is “4+ hours of reforged in-game cutscenes” still advertised on the official website? If these aren’t going to be in the game, then stop advertising them.

2. If the reforged campaign was cut for the sake of preserving the original, for pleasing all of the purists that supposedly told Blizzard not to touch the original story, then why is the campaign changed anyway? Why is the layout of Stratholme, Dalaran, and Silvermoon different? Why is it no longer raining before the culling, and why has the death of Sylvanas been made to more closely resemble her Warbringers cinematic? Why has Anasterian and Thalorien been added to the campaign with their own unique character models?

This whole “we wanted to preserve the original campaign” spiel feels extremely disingenuous.

5 Likes

2013-2016? It was in the news message of warcraft - I don’t remember exactly the year. They talked about the introduction path of new permitted for wide monitors for the classic WC3.
And they apologized for not being able to change UI in game. Cos they cant.

So at Blizzcon 2018 everything they said was a lie, cause everything they have done was in starcraft engine, means they haven’t started working on W3R at all, they got the models from Lemonsky, now it all make sense, the beta and the silence for a year. Good job Blizzard.

4 Likes

With regards to the enhanced cutscenes? I have to say that is a bit of a weak excuse. When people said they didn’t want you altering the story? They were referring to writing significant new portions of content for characters that had previously had none.

I feel that you could have presented the cutscenes that were shown at Blizzcon like the Culling of Stratholme and it still would have remained faithful to the original story. There is a difference between presenting a beloved story in a new way with the aid of new tech and retconning things as you discussed to fit with “World of Warcraft” which is what many had issue with. And now you are using those shots from Blizzcon in advertising the game leading to allegations of false advertising and broken promises. If your using them as promotional material then you as in Blizzard must feel that they are indeed better than what is in game currently. Your still advertising 4+ hours of reforged in-game cutscenes on the official website.

The other sticking point is still the EULA that is going to remain a thorn in the side for custom content. Because of how draconian it is? You have ensured people are going to be less keen to create new maps and content when they are not guaranteed even something as simple as being credited for their work. A reason why the original persisted for so long is because of the community and custom content.

Appreciate the response as it’s more than we have had and honestly I wish it had come sooner. I really don’t envy the community manager’s jobs and do hope you guys can turn it around. But I am disappointed.

3 Likes

Any plans to give units more animation variety, or is Lemon Sky out of the picture now? Some of the units in Reforged have LESS animations than their Classic counterparts, with a few dozen units merely having their Attack 1 animations being copied to their Attack 2 animation slot.

There are quite a few animation-related issues and the team should take a look:

Daaaang >.< I was really hoping they’d put automated tournaments back in. Feelsbadman :’(

2 Likes

Eula is protection from the fool. Any large company with good lawyers recognizes the nullity of the contract. As Valve did in due time in relation to DOTA.

One more thing xD
The trees, just like the units, why are not updated just like the demo? any idea? do u think they are the same beta-demo trees model with no effect?

3 Likes

I’m tired of repeating. It was a starcraft engine.Seen by render, Path Finder and Lighting. Oh yes and no bugs.

Too many animations within the WC3 engine will - the game will not withstand and will crash. It is easy to see that without this WC3R constantly loses data from memory. (Loss of sound, animations, textures)

2 Likes

Units are better than demo. they need fix the trees.

3 Likes

Please fix Clans at least? Let us import our old accounts? … No profiles… are you all serious? its 2020… 2002 game was better …

"Related to that, as we talked about last year at BlizzCon, we did not want the in-game cutscenes to steer too far from the original game. We went a little deeper into the thought process behind that at the show, but the main takeaway is that the campaigns tell one of the classic stories in Warcraft history, and we want to preserve the true spirit of Warcraft III and allow players to relive these unforgettable moments as they were (albeit rebuilt with new animations and the higher fidelity art)."

This just confuses me honestly, and doesn’t really address the whole criticism of reforged at all, let alone gives us an answer, to a point where I don’t really understand why you’d even bring it up this way.

It doesn’t matter that you had a second thought about the classic campaign, what matters is what you promised without telling us what was to be suspected. If the classic mattered that much, why even reforge the campaign at all? Why do people we never heard of give invisible feedback? So are we getting the new cutscenes or not? If we are, will they come with a new campaign to ‘keep in line’ with the lore which was also promised? Is this a remaster or a remake?

4 Likes

Why shout, if it will be possible to play in the old version.

I am at loss of words after reading this.

What troubles me is that you WILL inform us, in the future, about what WILL come further down the future, such as pvp ladder - which should have been there.
No response on the lackluster art, from the UI to the Non-animated Portraits.
No roadmap for updates, or what your goals are (just generic support comments)

The lack of communication from your part, or the fact that you took 5 days to make this non-apology response is what seems most troubling for your company.

A pity because I expected from you guys a “Blizzard Quality” game. Not this meme.

5 Likes

I think they never exist, except for a couple of people who said - “We do not need changes - and reforg is not needed either. Don’t touch our charm”(So funny - how much they were right)
And these invisible fans who demanded reforg without reforging company are an excuse for laziness.

please guys do something with the pc of lower 3gb to lower spects i cant enable the reforged and i try anything and i see much freezing on the game and lag on single player. I hope we can be hear

company is full of balony, bring back the old wc3 battlenet and repair the damage u have done to people who did not buy this game or the people who refunded it, we want old classic wc3 without broken stuff and 20 gigs of useles data

2 Likes

NOPE!
The only way for you to play WC3 is to get the old version of the game client. I hope you still have a disk from 2002 or yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

This “reforged game” slows down even on top-end PCs. The warcraft engine does not pull materials of this size. They were very stupid without converting the game to the Starcraft engine

Please reconsider, and bring back tournaments. The reason they weren’t being used is because, as others said, they were buggy and full of hackers. Ideally you will have fixed these issues by now.

Tournaments were the biggest thing I was looking forward to. I’m not even mad about the laziness of everything else, just bring back tournaments.

1 Like