Warcraft 3 Reforged Asia server in which locate?

Whenever I play the versus game, the network is always unstable, at least 200ms and lagging.Can the official tell me now, Where are the Asian servers located?HK?Kor?Taiwan or Southeast Asian countries?

Probably one in America, one in Portugal, another in Antarctica and 7 in china but they are not really working…^^

It doesn’t really matter, because the game will connect you to other servers depending on the other players in the game. If you’re in asia, you’re more than likely connecting to an EU or NA server when you play Versus.

It’s not as simple a regional servers. There are also many game proxies that are housed in many data centers around the world. So it’s it far more than just the ‘one server here’ and ‘one server there’.

That which people colloquially refer to as the “servers” are the controllers or brains of the game service. Once a regional server establishs which game proxy is best, it hands the connection over to the proxy to host the game.

So the moral of the story is that there additional game proxies spread around in addition to the individual regional servers.

1 Like

Well, it’s as I said, it doesn’t really matter which region you select, it only truly determines what you can see in the list of custom games, and when the patch comes out, even that won’t be true anymore. Versus mode is global and since Asia - near as I can tell - has the smallest community of players, the vast majority of the time you’ll be forced to connect to people in EU or NA and having a high ping.

1 Like

I wonder what sick mind came up with this awful idea when hosting games and let people enjoy worked fine for 20 years…

(don’t get me wrong, not the distributed idea, but obviously the way they implemented it)

It’s not the population that detetmines where the game is hosted.

When people queue for versus, the regional servers will determine the players’ average latencies to the nearby proxies. It then selects the proxy with the lowest combined latency to host the game. So the system does try to find the lowest possible latency for all the players.

There can be several reasons this doesn’t always result in a stable game. A major contributor is the global matchmaking aspect; distance is distance which little can be done about. As would be expected, the more players (eight for example) the higher chance of a bad connection for everyone.

I think the intention behind the idea was a good one: to have more ‘servers’ spread around to reduce disance.

It was Bliz’s decision to make matchmaking global that I think is a big part of the problem. It’s a trade off for sure. Regional and global each have a benefit and a cost. The understandable issue is people have different preferences for search time vs match quality.

I have to assume Bliz decided that the regional queuing populations were too low (search times too long) so they went global to increase the queue population (shorten search time).

With development seemingly resuming, hopefully there are plans to continue improving Reforged’s networking as well.

The “intention” and the “idea” may surely be good ones, but there is no reason at all to remove a perfectly working system to badly implement this.

20 years of custom games hosting and now nothing.

There is no excuse whatsoever for a so stupid decision.

I don’t disagree! Hopefully there’s still more work coming on the networking side of things.

The system in case of custom games should also be transparent. Players may be able to see the ping (and maybe to which “proxy” they are connected) of all the other players BEFORE starting the game.

Well, let’s not even touch the still missing fundamental reconnection feature…

That’s not what I was saying at all. What I was saying is what you said in your next paragraph. There aren’t enough server locations, so often players will find themselves in a position where server selected for the best latency for all players is substantially worse for some of them than others.

Ah! I see. Yeah, pretty much the same thing.

I think it would be difficult and/or not financially feasible to put enough servers worldwide to keep the latency down, especially for a minor title. But who knows. Maybe Bliz will make some improvements.

I mean they have other games such as overwatch which have servers in more places. All they really have to do is put one cheap server box in for WC3R in alongside the ones they already have for OW and other games. I mean, servers aren’t cheap but they likely only need a few machines in a given server farm for the game.