Warcraft 3 crashing

Hello. Recently I’ve been having Warcraft 3 crash a couple of times when playing City TD (custom map). Doesn’t always happen, but it’s repeating with same error.

DxDiag: https://pastebin.com/0GGaXpGH
Crash.txt: https://pastebin.com/Qdr6ktgN
Got a few other crash.txt files but they look pretty much the same. Can post them if wanted.

Not having issues in any other games or applications. Not using any form of vpn or special security software. PC does not seem to overheat.
I’m playing with classic graphics.

Hope to find a solution to this, thanks!

your cpu is incompatible with direct x 9, which this game reqires. only solution is to use an amd cpu, though based on what i have read, those have framerate issues. at least they do not crash.

Thanks for reply.
Do you have any sources that it’s incompatible? Google gave a lot of poor results.
I tried adding -d3d11 command line argument to force dx 11 (I guess it defaulted to 12?), but need to play some to see if I still get crashes. Will also try remastered graphics.

It sounds surreal that the game cannot run on newer Intel CPU’s.

my only source is an old post on this forum. think it was in the technical support forum. it was long ago however and i do not remember what it was named. guess you could search for it. try searching for direct x.

What you have read is incorrect. All systems have framerate issues. Not just AMD ones.

I’m also not aware of any CPUs being “incompatible” with directX9 beyond those made well before its introduction. DX9 is x86 software and will run on any version of windows that supports it.

If it is just this particular map that’s crashing, then the author may need to update it, or a bug in the game requires fixing. Tech support will not help you with custom maps beyond general advice.

It is highly unlikely any tinkering on your part can solve this.

For the record I have not experienced any issues with framerate. But that might also be due to overkill PC.

Did a game now and did not crash, however I don’t always crash. And something in the back of my head says I only crash when I host, but I have no real evidence to back that up.

If it is just this particular map that’s crashing, then the author may need to update it, or a bug in the game requires fixing. Tech support will not help you with custom maps beyond general advice.
It is highly unlikely any tinkering on your part can solve this.

I don’t really play any other maps, so I cannot say.

Appreciate the answers though!

It’s a simple performance issue in the game code. If your have a sufficiently powerful system you’re not likely to notice it unless you play an overly demanding custom game with extreme numbers of units on the map/on the screen, i.e. more than the game was originally designed to handle.

I have an AMD system and have no issues, but my CPU is a relatively new Ryzen 9 and I have no issues with normal gameplay. Lots of people continue to claim that this issue is specific to AMD systems, but this is simply false and most likely Intel fanboyism.

If you have a basic understanding of how to use the world editor, and the map doesn’t have any third party anti-modification protection applied to it, there is a small possibility that it could be solvable. Like for instance, if a particular unit or other object results in crashing when you interact with it/give it certain commands/etc. then changing things associated with that unit or object could solve the problem. but, if your map is still being maintained by its creator, I would try to reach out to them about this.

You might be right it’s related to the TD itself. I’ve not crashed a single time since I made this post, when I haven’t been host. :thinking:

Howdy!

I want to clarify your system is fully supported. This looks to be related to the map from the crash log:

1/6 12:59:23.302 Opening map - C:/Users/kai_a/Documents/Warcraft III/Maps/Download/City_TD_Team.w3x
1/6 12:59:27.359 Solid texture substituted - C:/Users/sfung/Box/Classic Games/Warcraft3/assets/Art/SD/ReplaceableTextures/Water/Water00.blp
1/6 12:59:40.702 model creation failed -

You may wish to check fan sites like HIVE for an updated version or another version of this map that might help.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Excellent assessment.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.