Warcraft 3 Classic

sorry no offical way, since the only war3 that officially exists is the Reforged.

You just choose what “skin” the game should use in the options of reforged when installed.

That’s ridiculous, I purchased WC3 years prior and they’re forcing you to download this schlock of a remaster? Thank you for the answer at least. Thought I was doing something wrong.

6 Likes

You’d have to download the original 1.27 client and update it manually. Don’t remember if the Classic Game Client Downloads page still has those but might be worth a peek. Just remember to not update to Reforged accidentally. Once you manage to update to 1.31, I suggest blocking the executable from connecting to the internet via your firewall to help prevent even accidentally updating.

3 Likes

They could have at least given back the classic client and such until Reforged was eventually brought to an as-good or better state in every way.

Then, flat out offer Reforged free of charge to everyone that can input a classic key and immediately refund the millions they took from everyone who didn’t refund Reforged. They have the money to make this “sacrifice”, don’t believe otherwise.

After that is when it would be fair to cut support for the old client. I truly believe these are the extents Blizzard would need to act upon to actually mend many of the relationships fans felt they had with them for years. Even then… without executive change it would mean little in the long term.

2 Likes

Seeing Bliz has allowed refunds for Reforged to this very day, they haven’t taken anyone’s money. Anyone who feels they didn’t get what was deserved can take their money right back from Bliz.

Ah, so you’ve found a legal way to download a game I bought - i.e., Warcraft III Frozen Throne pre-reforged stable release? They’ve taken away money of everyone who purchased original Warcraft III in digital form. Until there is no way to legally download the original WarIII - they are effectively robbed. And you are in support of this robbery. Disgusting.

You say they refunded purcahces? No, they did not. they refund Reforged. Not Classic. They want to be fair? They have to refund both.

3 Likes

How old are u?

That’s all well and good, but my reply was to a comment about refunding the money spent on Reforged only, not the original game. They didn’t even mention money spent on the original game. You’re the one that extrapolated it to that. And then…

…threw a gibe in when you have no idea what my stance is on the original game.

Please, don’t pull meanings that aren’t there out of thin air to conveniently fit your positions. Go on what’s there and only what’s there.

1 Like

If it’s true that Blizzard took down the download client for WC3, I’d agree that is theft and honestly a pretty bad practice. I saw the download clients on the website and they were very misleading. It made you think you were installing the client for WC3 & Frozen Throne, but instead it automatically opened battlenet and downloaded reforged. I’m sure people enjoy that game, however I am not interested in it.

3 Likes

Original game is a part of Reforged now. It is erased. When Reforged is refunded, original game is not restored - you keep access to cut down Reforged. The issues are inseparable.

Why would I care what is your stance? I see what you post for half a year already. You defend Blizzard policies. Your personal stance is irrelevant. I don’t know and don’t want to know what you think - I observe and comment on what you do.

1 Like

Again Rastrelly, it was a comment and reply that had a context. You twisted my words into more than what it was. It’s fine if you want to add to conversation, but don’t do so by putting words into people’s mouths.

Not again. I just dealt with another one of your types.

Then you seem to have conveniently ignored the times I’ve criticized Bliz for the crappy state of Reforged. That, added to simple explanations on how things work (which is neither defending nor criticizing), and you’ll be hard pressed to find when I legitimately defend them, when I literally praise them for a job well done, when I out-right white knight for them. I refunded Reforged the day after Blizzcon and since have not re-bought it because of the terrible condition it’s in.

Again, Rastrelly, more of your conjuring up that isn’t there. So please, cite examples of your claims. Not judgement-neutral explanations of things of how things work, but my defense of them.

It’s wholy important if you’re going throw around insults. Why would you disparage someone who agrees with your point about the original game? Simply because you had made no effort to learn before speaking.

Same logic applies to you, dude. If you’re gonna argue about these things, you must respect the opposing side. Otherwise you’re just making noise and are irrelevant to the actual discussion.

You must be joking – or you are unable to read. I have outlined in the most clear way why your comment was incorrect. I said quite clearly that refunds for reforged have nothing to do with Classic WCIII, and that refunding Reforged does not restore Classic WCIII. Not only Reforged itself has to be refundable - which it is, - but Classic WCIII should either be available, or be refunded as well as a separate entity.

And you say:

I wonder, why you have to deal with this?! How can this happen?!!

1 Like

Great! You think that Bliz should refund the original purchase as well. Super! And if they don’t, it’s robbery. Brilliant. You succeeded in your endeavor, the first time around in fact. Everyone here immediately understood that. Your point isn’t complex.

Trouble is, Rastrelly, no one was talking about that when you barged in with your accusations and insults over something that didn’t exist. It had nothing to do with what Oregano and I were talking about. His words were “…refund the millions they took from everyone who didn’t refund Reforged”. He limited the scope to the monies paid for reforged and I limited my reply to that. Anything else has been your running wild with conjured non contextual narrative.

There’s nothing like exemplifying my point about you, though. That line you quoted was specific only to the context of you accusing me of defending Bliz, not the context of your points on refunding the original game. Thus true to form, you couldn’t stop yourself from changing the context there as well. You literally cannot stop yourself.

But getting back to its proper context, I now have to assume you’re not able to answer my challenge, so that puts that to rest.

Normally, I’d agree with you. Except the product was largely falsely advertised, the effort being put in to fix it has been falsely advertised, and it completely took away the classic game experience when it dropped.

Furthermore, there are people who are much more invested in War3 than just “players” of the game. Some people have (and still do) invest thousands of their hours, years of their lives, creating their passions within the War3 engine because they’ve used it for almost 20 years. Their progress has been nearly destroyed by the changes brought upon by Reforged but they aren’t willing to give up everything just yet. Can you honestly say the same thing to those people? I would wager that if yes, you lack empathy. And in case you’re about to tout that people shouldn’t be investing so much time into an old proprietary engine… nobody developing anything has any time to care about what you think of it.

1 Like

I actually regret putting effort into replying to you after reading some of your other posts–you come off as someone that just wants to squabble on the internet and look intelligent. Annoying.

1 Like

How I responded to Rastrelly is below if you’re interested. To your points, though. I agree that the advertising decisions were shady, very shady. It was one thing while it was still in beta, but when Bliz left it after release, that was straight up irresponsible, unethical even. That’s been my stance since release.

But, I do not agree with your statement about the false effort to fix it. Bliz overtly said they aim for monthly patches and they have stuck it, 6 patches in 4.5 months. Anyone who claims that the patches don’t have anything useful in them isn’t privy to the challenges involved in elucidating and fixing bugs. Taking the desyncs for example, it’s so complex an issue that Bliz has to build a separate tool to help them locate all the little causes hidden all throughout the client.

The rest of what you’re saying is falling into the same trap that Rastrelly did. I was only speaking to what literally you said… how you worded it. You’re statement was “immediately refund the millions they took from everyone who didn’t refund Reforged”. That’s referring only to the money paid to purchase Reforged; it doesn’t reference the money paid to buy the original game over the years. So I rebutted that the money paid for Reforged is still available to have back. I do completely agree that when it comes to the money paid for the original game, we are all in a horrible spot because that isn’t being refunded.

About Rastrelly, no matter who it is, it’s essentially ‘reply in kind’. Replies like yours above are civil and calm so I respond in the same way. Normal conversation. Rastrelly literally barged in with accusations and insults over something I never said. On a side note, some of the quotes you chose are interesting though. It makes me think you pulled them out of context… the same thing Rastrelly is guilty of. “Getting back to proper context…you’re not able to answer my challenge” was only about asking Rastrelly to back up the accusations they made against me, to cite examples. “You point isn’t complex” was due to their repeating it three times after stating that I agree with their point.

Digital client downloads are only around as long as the owner decides to keep them around.

The original client on your disc purchase on the other hand…still works perfectly fine.

Things you give up by buying digital only, but hey most PC gamers seem to think it’s the “better” way and I’m a “boomer” for waiting for physical media to show up.

If you care about retaining ownership, purchase like you care.

Unfortunately physical space is at a premium so digital is the superior way to distribute games.

That said, they should still be DRM-free so that offline backups can be made in case something goes horribly wrong.

Here is the option: Classic Warcraft III --- Official Installers - Official Patches