X_https://youtu.be/ZUUd9lsyurc

3 Likes

fix this bliiozzard or no preorders

3 Likes

HA ha

STAYING ON 1.30

2 Likes

The point of this?

The lower frame rate might be a result of the shaders doing more than just emulating the original fixed function pipeline. For example shader code or stages for reforged might have leaked in despite no assets or functionality to take advantage of it.

The low performance might also be because of extra logging or a lack of optimization passes. Specifically D3D9 Warcraft III might still be using legacy driver level optimizations specified by driver authors such as AMD or NVidia while the D3D11 branch has no such optimizations enabled yet and so is forced to use the lowest performance but most compatible branches of driver code.

1 Like

I don’t think they want to know why the frames could be low

Do you really see no point at showing how the game spikes because of bad performance?

Imagine the 60k tournament in China, all players in 1.31.1 and all of them having these little stutters.

its the same patch but the left screen are using
-graphicsapi Direct3D9 in the shortcut

2 Likes

I am sorry. From the video posted I cannot see any stutter other than aliasing artefacts due to frame rate down sampling.

Which, as I mentioned, might be due to graphic drivers having optimizations for Warcraft III which are not applied when using D3D11 because the optimizations were created before the D3D11 branch existed.

D3D9 is likely using the legacy fixed function pipeline from D3D7, as Warcraft III has always used. Despite needing D3D8, it did not use programmable shaders introduced with D3D8, instead it maintained use of the D3D7 fixed function pipeline, likely with some of the D3D8 extensions that were added. Drivers likely optimize for this. When encountering D3D11 which must use programable shaders the optimizations likely are not applied and instead the maximum compatibility pipeline is used. When driver updates claim “10% increase in frame rate” that is because they apply optimizations which turn off branches of code or features which a game does not use.

Sorry for repeating “likely” so much. Without knowing details about the source code it is hard to make definite statements.

1 Like