Unable to open after new patch on mac

hello, I am having a big issue with launching the game after the release of this patch. i play on mac and previously had 0 issues. now, I can’t even start the game. I have reinstalled several times and I get an unexpected error whenever i open it.

Is there any fix that has been released for mac users? Are other mac users facing a similar problem? Please advise as reinstalling seems to fail. pretty disappointing because this was my favorite game and now unplayable.

1 Like

What sort of issue are you running into?

Is the game requesting CD-keys and you own Reforged?
If yes, then contact blizzard support and they’ll provide you with a RoC CD-key so you can access the game.

Game is simply not opening?
What version is your Mac OS? is your OS 32-bit or 64-bit?
Generally newer Mac models all have 64-bit, and due to newer Mac OS dropping support for 32-bit apps, Warcraft III is moving to 64-bit only for Mac computers.

Details regarding your OS are under the following
(Apple logo - top left) → About this mac→Processor
If not listed:
(Apple logo - top left) → About this mac→System Report…→Hardware→Processor

The following processors identify what bit your processor is

32-bit only

• Intel Core Solo
  • Intel Core Duo

64-bit

• Core 2 Duo
  • Dual-core Xeon
  • Quad-core Xeon
  • Core i3
  • Core i5
  • Core i7

Is the game simply not opening and you have a 64 bit OS?
You can try uninstalling the app (throwing the entire folder in the trash), and re-installing with the online installer

You can also try the following

Running the game with OpenGL (Support may be removed in the future)
There are two methods to run this, either use terminal to run your app with arguments, or simply create a script you can run the arguments automatically.

Method 1 - Terminal

1. Open Terminal
  2. Type or copy/paste the following command
exec /Applications/Warcraft\ III/x86_64/Warcraft\ III.app/Contents/MacOS/Warcraft\ III -graphicsapi OpenGL

Method 2 - .command file (recommended)

1. Open TextEdit
  2. Create new document (Hotkey - ⌘N)
  3. Convert file to plain text by the following menu
    Format → Make Plain Text (Hotkey - ⇧⌘T)
  4. Enter the following text into the file
#!/bin/sh
/Applications/Warcraft\ III/x86_64/Warcraft\ III.app/Contents/MacOS/Warcraft\ III -graphicsapi OpenGL
  1. Save file with following name
    Warcraft.command
    Recommend saving this to your desktop or wherever is easiest for you to access.

You will need to change the permissions on the .command file so it gives the owner of the file the ability to execute it

• Open terminal
  • Type the following command
chmod u+x /path/to/Warcraft.command

After you’ve done this once, you’ll never have to do it again, and it will simply allow you to double click it moving forward.

Let us know if this didn’t help to solve your problems. Hopefully we can get this sorted so you can get back to playing.

Looks like I can run it through the command line now. Will work in a pinch. Any idea as to why this would be the only way to get it to work. I have a decent computer (late 2013 MBP) with dedicated gfx?

a windows game has troubles running on mac, what do you think is the problem uh?

What operating system are you running on your system?

They recently moved to Metal instead of OpenGL due to newer OS depreciating support for OpenGL. This is potentially why your system may not have been able to run the game if your OS lacks support for it.

From online research you should be fully compatible to run Mojave, the most recent OS, which should have the best support moving forward.

I am experiencing an issue as well with a mac. I received the CD issue and was able to input the CD tied to my battle.net account, but when I try to connect to battle.net it tells me a new patch is available, would I like to install it and I say yes then it gives me an error.

Any suggestions?

Try using the Warcraft III Launcher.app located in the root install directory for Warcraft III.

This can used to repair/update your installation outside of your Warcraft III app.

If this does not solve your problems, then you may want to uninstall (throw the Warcraft III Folder, located in Applications, in to the trash), and reinstall from the online installer again.

Thanks. That worked, however now that I tried logging in I learned that the CD key I put in says it is disabled.

That might be the case, but I bought the reforged pre-release so would I be able to open a support ticket and then have the key changed to the valid one without reinstalling or would I need to reinstall?

Most likely they’ll honor the purchase and provide you with another classic CD-key as you’ve purchased reforged and do not have access to it.

hmm the OpenGL terminal command worked for me one time, but on subsequent openings of the application nothing loads graphically; the game is still running, and I can do text shortcuts/hear they’re working (ie click b to start the battle.net login window). But th window is a phantom window – entirely invisible in non-fullscreen mode, and then when I do command m, it’s just a black window.

I’m running the latest version of Mojave – any ideas?

Mojave has depreciated support for OpenGL apps, and is recommended that you use the standard Metal (default) launch method. This is not to say that it doesn’t work still, but users on Mojave should use the default launch method for best available support.

Did the standard launch method not work, and is that why you choose to try OpenGL?

EDIT
Try hitting command+enter to make the game into windowed mode, and move the window around by dragging the upper bar.

Alternatively, you can try seeing if your OS is completely up-to-date. You can access the system update menu by visiting the following.

Apple icon > System Preferences > Software Update

1 Like

Yeah, I was running High Sierra and encountered the error where it would launch, but if I made it smaller screen it would crash. I then tried the OpenGL script and it worked once but not after that*.

Since then, it crashes immediately on attempted launch if I try a default launch, or does the windowless launch with the OpenGL – the OpenGL bar can’t even be dragged around, because it’s not visible.

I had updated to Mojave to attempt to fix this – no luck, same problems. Just to add, this started pre-latest patch (after the big one though), and uninstalling / reinstalling game doesn’t fix it.

*I used a prepackaged version of the script from this user – I’m wondering if there was something else in there that could have inadvertently messed it up, as it’s much longer than the script in your first post. Maybe you could take a look if don’t mind?

Seems he made an Automator script, and the two commands I see he has used within it are

Changes Directory to inside the Warcraft III.exec folder
cd /Applications/Warcraft\ III/x86_64/Warcraft\ III.app/Contents/MacOS/ 

Runs Warcraft III with OpenGL
./Warcraft\ III -graphicsapi OpenGL

Details regarding Automator at following link.
TL;dr It’s a built in application for Mac used to automate simple processes
xhttps://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/automator/welcome/mac

Other than that, there is really no difference from what I’ve noted above, and what he has provided.

=======================

Try reinstalling the application by uninstalling (throw the Warcraft III folder in the trash), and reinstalling via the online installer once more.

Mojave has Metal support which is default for Warcraft III now. Meaning you shouldn’t need to run the game in -opengl mode.

Download page link:

1 Like

Hm ok, the random parts in russian don’t do anything? Thanks for having looked!

Just tried that again, no luck :frowning: – is there some API statement to explicitly run metal the way there is for -opengl?

Any other ideas?

Everyone, been a lot of time since I gave up on this.
Had the same issue, my screen freezed when initializing warcraft on my Mac.

I downloaded the public beta tester of warcraft III and it worked for me, maybe it works for you.

Cheers.

http:// www.pcmrace. com /pt/2018/02/22/warcraft-3-parche-1-29-agrega-soporte-para-resoluciones-widescreen-mejoras-al-editor-y-partidas-para-hasta-24-jugadores/

Please help in 1.32 patch. It seem doesnt work anymore.

yes what to do now?

@Stormice @astoneham

What are your OS versions are your macs?
Apple icon (top left) > About My Mac

Warcraft III Classic (which is reforged now), requires you to be on OS 10.13 (latest patch) minimum or even the current OS 10.15 (latest patch) recommend. Do note, this is due to the fact that the game has been updated for more modern macs that make use of the Metal API. The game is no longer backwards compatible with older Mac OS.

Details on requirements are at the following link:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/warcraft-iii-reforged-system-specifications/13881

Hopefully that helps, and note that OpenGL will not work anymore for more current patches of WCIII. Patch 1.31 and below are the only patches that support using OpenGL and thus older macs.

Hello,

I am also a mac user experiencing lag and crazy freeze frames each game even with a solid FPS and great internet connection. My mac is version 10.14 and my processor is a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5. This just started happening since the recent patch and is extremely frustrating. Even on classic graphics it is miserable. Any help/suggestions??