Thoughts on Crypt Lord Rework? (Updated) August 2019

I love how u said Ulti is a mystery.

To this day I dont know what it really does lmao.

Tooltip so bad.

I just know heals.

The rate of locust attacks, hp steal, and whatever else is going on isnt even there.

No can argue but lvl 1 Beetle is HOT TRASH.

7-8 dmg and like 140 hp armor 2 ??? What is 8 dmg and 140 hp?

making beetles any stronger at lvl 1 would make them the best summoned unit in the game at lvl 1.

low mana cost, permanent, 5 of them? like what?

Buddy read the post.

They feed exp and are ultra weak.

Where u getting those 5 corpses?

CL needs xp.
Beetles are good for creeping.
Corpses are acquired from graveyard, slain creeps or critters.

His ult is like A or B tier btw.
One of the few damage ults that arenā€™t channeling.
Heals at end of duration, which is good for a damage sponge like CL.

Nothing bad about this hero really, good third pick.
Itā€™s just UD being UD.

3 Likes

When you realize that nothing u said will ever be changed.

*sigh

need upgrade cryptlord

1 Like

no beetles are not good for creeping their garbage why would you do that they have 180 hp with 8 max damage. when you have rod of nercomancy. hero is poorly designed

1 Like

That is exactly what this entire thread is about.

Welcome to our Cult.

So 3 out of 4 races have heroes with useful summons. These can be used for quick creeping or harassment and are often times used for fast expansion strategies.

UD also has a Hero with summons. But his summons are so bad that they are never used, neither for harassment nor for fast expansion.

The buffs to Rings of protections made it so his passive armor is less valuable since heroes on average have more armor. (Indirect nerf)

His Impale leaves units invulnerable while in the air for 1 second. This invulnerability should be removed. He cannot hit air units which are enwebbed. This should be possible.

A short comparison:

TC Stomp
Area of effect: 250/ 300 /350
Damage: 30/ 60/ 90
Stun duration: 3 (2) / 4 (3) / 5 (4)
Mana cost: 90

Crypt Lord Impale
Area of Effect 250 regardless of level
Damage: 75/120/165
Stun duration: 2 (1) / 3 (2) / 4 (3) in the air: 1s, invulnerability
Mana cost: 100

Its save to say War stop is strictly better. And more importantly it got buffed recently. But the Crypt Lord remained unchanged. Of course Aura is way more valuable compared to a boring and weak passive which only affects the hero.

Many underused heroes like the bloodmage (which was still used more than Crypt lord) received buffs. Yet for some reason when it comes to the Crypt lord, he is entirely ignored. This makes no sense. He must have summons which are useful like other heroes. If TC stomp gets buffed, why does his stun not get buffed? This hero is one of the least used heroes in the entire game so for the sake of variety and strategic diversity he deservers buffs.

1 Like

Another bullsh*t feature about the stun is that it takes 1 second to ā€œanimate the impale or lift the unitsā€ which FKN means -1 second stun duration.

The tooltip doesnt say that. Cheeky Bast*rds

2 Likes

Though I agree that Impale should be tweaked in terms of invulnerability and effectiveness, I also have a few other suggestions (shamelessly ripped from my contribution to the 1.32 Wishlist thread):

• Crypt Lord can now Burrow (the animation for doing so is already in the game)
  • Impale: Now reduces armor of any effected targets by 3/4/5 for 8 seconds, in addition to its current effects
  • Spiked Carapace: I envision several changes to this ability. First: the damage reflected now functions akin to the change to Spiked Barricades introduced in 1.31: instead of 15/25/35%, it now returns 5+15%/10+25%/15+30%. Second: Spiked Carapace now also reduces spell damage by 15/30/45%. Third, and finally: the benefits of Spiked Carapace now extend to the Carrion Beetles, giving them not only damage refection and increased armor, but also resistance to magic and spell damage.
5 Likes

I think CL spiked suggestion is perfect for him because he has a spiky carapace in design aswell.

Burrow may be niche? Idk.

Impale armor reduction i agree with but got some hate.

But its kind of a trick shot so you get extra reward for landing it?

I think those armor values are perfect but duration could be 5 seconds.

1 Like

Loving the new updated summary.

Really summarizes the whole thread.

Slow Wave is an awsome suggestion I think OP with DK aura but can be balanced.

I think its way better than beetles which are useless summons in the game compared to wolves and elementals.

I also think they might aswell go and make room for a new ability instead of having each race have a summon.

Especially when undead have rod of necromancy and necromancers.

2 Likes

Found out something cool today in Editor.

The Stun invulnerability is 1 second its not hardcoded.

So I actually put it to zero and behold u could instant hit enemy unitsā€¦

Time to rework animation for reforged then so it can be 0

3 Likes

How does spiked carapace help on beetles?

Lvl 3 beetles have 32 collision size instead of 16 (31 collision is a ghoul) so this problem A. Pathing issue

Then they cost alot of mana to upkeep 30 per beetle.

Then there is slow graveyard buildtime and corpse generation.

If this was solved beetles would be buffed big time.

Now that Iā€™m thinking maybe keep the beetle add spike carapace at lvl 3 is a good idea.

But other buffs will be needed to CL summon to make it relevant early game especially in comparison to rod of necromancy.

Maybe mana cost reduction across his spellboard.

Hereā€™s what I think:

• Make impale have much less raising time
  • Spike Carapace should apply damage before armor reduction, and give it to beetles outright; or add some magic resistance
  • Add an upgrade to crypt that somehow boosts Crypt Fiends and Carrion Beetleā€™s attack speed and/or move speed
1 Like

Summary of what I have suggested in other threads:

Buff Beetle Hp and damage by 15-20%
Give them some kind of magic resistance on level 2, spell immunity on level 3 so they donā€™t get stolen/dispelled easily. Similar to the Doomguard summon from Pitlord.
Remove the invulnerability effect on impale. Reduce casting animation time. Increase damage, decrease mana cost.
Crypt Lord passive: Make it work exactly like Orcā€™s spiked barricades. Melee attackers take 6/12/18 melee damage + % damage depending on damage dealt to the Crypt Lord in addition to the armor bonus. This way, carapace acts as some sort of combination of evasion and immolation, as in damage reduction via armor and damage return against melee attackers.

Congratz, now you turned Crypt Lord into a viable hero and maybe Crypt Lord first can be a thing. Just like how every other non UD race has had access to a viable summon hero forever.

3 Likes

Just a few ideas:

1. Give CL the Burrow ability as an innate ā€œfreeā€ ability. Also restores mana at an increased rate.

2. CL can use Impale/Locust Swarm while Burrowed

3. Spiked Carapace is a flat damage + % damage hybrid damage reflect, not merely damage return. That way it reduces damage taken in melee better than adding armor.

4. Beetles have some kind of dispel resistance. Like 20/35/50% dispel resistance

1 Like

Many nopes. Forcing early game detection like that drastically unbalances everything.
I can understand burrow as a freebie as the Warden and PotM have something very similar but allowing the CL to cast from burrow without it at the very least immediately unburrowing him I think would make him op.