Theoretically if WC4 was real

How many races would they add?

Would it be more realistic that they would add 1 race like with NE or would they double it to 8 if not more?

Well I would say that in theory it would be:

-Humans/Alliance (not including night Elves or High Elf units that they had in WC3, but mainly human, dwarf and gnome units)

-Orcs/Horde (not including Forskaken, but including orcs, trolls, taurens and as returning race goblins)

-Forsaken

-Night Elves

(Lorewise it makes little sence why especially Forsaken/Sylvanas would have joined or been accepted as part of the Horde in first place and same can be said to smaller extent with Night Elves/Alliance, they likely would have wanted to remain independent)

In addition to these possible new races would have been/could be:

-Blood Elves (already had basicly their own campaign instead of Humans in TFT)
-Naga (they were already semi-ready race in TFT campaign)
-Draenei (although they could be also part of humans/Alliance)

in additions to these Pandaren could be possible race/faction (as much as I were against accepeting them officially as part of the lore).

I would say that 4 new races/factions would be absolute maximum they could have come up with, considering how much balancing work they would have to do, much more likely only 2…I would say most likely Blood Elves and Naga would have been the new factions and Draenei units would have replaced High Elf units in Human/Alliance side.

4 Likes

If Warcraft 4 was real we’d all be screwed anyway because the same people writing WoW would be the ones writing Warcraft 4.

8 Likes

They already told us “Fixing 3 races (starcraft) is difficult. With reforged we have a lot of work to do”.

Is not easy to balance 4 race and you want more?

5 Likes

Burning legion was originally planned as a fifth race in reign of chaos.

Not sure if same was planned for Naga with TFT.

In either case, both burning legion or Naga would be most obvious choices. Given where wow had taken the lore, I could see something like blood elves, or draenei being added.

Personally what I think would be cool is just a straight up Warcraft rts with no storyline. Then you could jam in bunch of different armies without having to bend over backwards to fit with the lore. Personally I think both draenei and blood elves would be super lame as a standalone race.

Imagine having option to play Warcraft 2 orcs with ogres and goblins, or Warcraft 3 orcs with tauren and trolls. Or like being able to play illidan’s forces (some naga, some draenei (which have since been retconned to “broken draenei” lol), and some demons), or being able to play burning legion, or straight up Naga, or whatever. I think that would be a really cool idea.

Maybe have different unit options that could be chosen prior to starting a game (like a skill tree so to speak) for a few base races (orcs, humans, etc…) that can be modulated so that the unit mix can resemble a certain army such as wc2 orcs.

Would be easier to make skins for the existing races.

1 Like

Maybe nagas

One thing would be sure, multiplayer gameplay, storyline and characters would be worse of WC3.

On the other hand campaign gameplay would be miles ahead of wc3 (better mission variety, better difficulty balance and no repetitive strats), graphics would be much better, art style would be most likely be good and we would end up with an infinite assets library

1 Like

The burning legion would be a cool addition.

I don’t think its a good idea to to turn a joke easter egg character into a faction either.

There’s plenty of RTS’s with way more factions than WC3, DoW springs to mind.

Since BFA is the Fourth War, I’m sure that will be the setting stage for WC4

The intro cinematic would be Sargeras’ sword and the Goblins mining in Silithus

Here’s how I would want it to be based on what I saw in SC2:

The tutorial for the Horde would launching an attack on Ashenvale then towards Teldrassil

The main campaigns for the Horde would be then defending Lordaeron, then freeing Princess Talanji, then assaulting Kul Tiras, then defending Zul’dazar, and then probably mixed with War Campaigns as optional quests

The tutorial for the Alliance would be launching an attack to Silithus, then going back to Teldrassil and attempt to save as many

The main campaign for the Alliance would be attack Lordaeron, then defending Stromgarde and removing Horde presence, then defending Kul Tiras, then assaulting Zul’dazar, and then removing Horde presence in Darkshore, and then probably mixed with War Campaigns as optional quests

And then both campaigns need to be cleared for the next part: assaulting Aszhara, freeing Baine Bloodhoof, assaulting Sylvanas loyalists, and reclaiming Orgrimmar

There would be probably side campaigns like liberating Mechagon, doing stuff in Uldum and the rest

Then there would be a loadout for units which the player could change the units before playing the next chapter

• for example Alliance Infantry could be inter-changed from Stormwind Footman to Sentinel Warrior to High Elf Swordsman to Worgen Warrior
  • for example Horde cavalry could be inter-changed from Orc Raider to Blood Knight to Goblin Tank
  • then there would be some sort of a mercenary building like in SC2 that can hire Death Knights, Demon Hunters, and Allied Races

As for the Heroes, I would prefer it to be static like still use Tyrande, Sylvanas, Eitrigg, Jaina, etc. I don’t want it to be something stupid like “create your character and that will be your main hero”

Unless of course, Blizzard one day decides that WoW is not canon (hopefully)

1 Like

Who’s to say that the balance will be the same for WC4 if it existed?

It could be different than current game with existing races having more structures and units especially for naval warfare etc.

WC4 does exist. As I said, screaming it from the mountaintops until people get it.

If Warcraft 4 was real, they should get rid of the Selction limit, the Upkeep and Hero systems.

It would also be better if they restrained the faction choice to 3, rather then 4 or more, as to achieve better balance.
Factions should also haver much more unit choices, even specialized choices, like a Forge unlocking a Rifleman unit that hits hard but has a slow attack speed, and the Sawmill unlocking an Archer unit that attacks fast, can hide, but has low health and damage.

You know. Spitballing off that.

It would be kind of interesting if you could have preset “loadouts” for another Warcraft RTS. Pick and set your tech tree to queue with for your race. Do I want Elven Archers or Riflemen? Wyverns or Dragons?

Loadout would cause balance issues. It would be fun, but after a week everyone would just use the same loadout, and the other units would just fall off the meta.
This happened in Dawn of War 3 and Company of Heroes 2, for example.

It would be far more balanced that we would get buildings unlocking several units, each specialized in some way.

As an eample:

Alliance Barracks:
-Footman- basic unit
-Archer- requires Sawmill
-Rifleman- requires Forge
-Ballista- requires Sawmill and Keep
-Worgen Slayer- requires Forge and Ancient Grove
-Knight- requires Forge and Chapel

Something to this effect. We would have more units, with better roles (Archers are better vs Air, Riflemen are better vs units with a lot of HP, Slayers would be good against easily massed units, Knights would be good against lategame Ground units…), while also having a bunch more per-unit type upgrades, taht would allow a player to customize his army to either his prefered startegy, or as a reaction to the opponent’s.

I would hope not. I enjoyed WC 1 & 2. WC 3 is my fav and would want WC 4 to be awesome like 3 if not better. I was hyped for WoW when it was in development. It was and is a disappointment to me. If it wouldn’t be at least of the same caliber as WC3 then I would rather that it not be at all.

As for playable races in a possible WC4, I would like to see;

1. Alliance = Humans, Dwarves, Void Elves and Gnomes
  2. Night Elves = Night Elves and Worgens
  3. Draenei = Draenei
  4. Horde = Orcs, Trolls, Tauren and Vulpera
  5. Blood Elves = Blood Elves and Nightborne
  6. Undead = Undead
  7. Naga = Naga, Tuskarr, Mur’gul

Neutral Races = Ogres, Goblins, Pandaren, Satyrs, Furbolg, Giants, Gnolls, Kobold, Burning Legion

Then to have our favorite heroes return with new ones. Several returning units and new units. Then add neutral heroes/mercenaries as well as common special units. Then the different dragon flights and wildlife.

A great story/campaign to enjoy with a great length. A lot of the same mechanics as WC3 but an addition of the environment interaction seen in SC2. Well polished models and textures.

I think ideally they would make units for each race. So every playable race would have their own units

Well you can scream as much as you want, but that doesnt make WoW any more Warcraft IV than for example the cancelled Starcraft: Ghost would have been Starcraft II…

Just because WoW continues Warcraft’s storyline doesnt make it Warcraft IV, and everyone with half a brain could understand that only another Warcraft RTS game would be WC IV.

1 Like

Selection limit I could agree with, but not with Upkeep or Heros…those were the things that set Warcraft III apart at the time and I think that should be something that should set Warcraft IV apart from Starcraft and other RTS games in future as well.

Say what you want, but I liked Warcraft III’s “less is more” design and the importance of hero units.

WoW isn’t Warcraft IV for the reason alone that it has “World of” in front of it. That designates it as a stand alone game no longer part of the RTS series.

If Warcraft IV was to be a thing I highly doubt it would be called that. What’s more likely is with all the time they just invested into modernizing the current game, it would be released as the first official expansion of Reforged.

Given that, existing races likely wouldn’t have anything removed. I doubt you will see them take Blood Mage away from Humans for example, just to create a new playable Blood Elf race. That probably wouldn’t happen.

Existing races would probably get a couple new units with a new hero, maybe a new building introducing a new resource or mechanic for every race.

The problem with introducing new races is that they need variety, ie Humans aren’t just 100% human (Dwarves, Elves, etc…), neither are Orcs… (Tauren, Trolls, etc…), so new races would need to actually be more like a faction of different sub races that makes sense.

If anything it would make more sense to just ally Naga with Night Elf, Goblins with the Orcs, Dark Elves with the Undead, and Dranei with the Humans.

So for new playable races?.. I honestly don’t think they would add any… I can’t see what they would be, given 1 race would need to be made up of 2 or 3 sub races working together, with buildings that all fit together aesthetically.

And keep in mind they wouldn’t introduce a new race to a nearly 2 decade old game that’s just some random npc you saw in WoW… it would need to be a signature race that’s central to the new campaign, with an important role in the story.

I think it would just be merging 1 new race in with each of the 4 existing ones and call it a day…

Dranei for Humans.
Goblins for Orcs.
Dark Elves for Undead.
Naga for Night Elves.