Thank you Blizzard for hearing your RTS fans voices!

After all of these negative threads in direct response to the news in the polygon article and the announcements at Blizzcon about not going back and retconning the Warcraft 3 story to match WoW.

I would like to be a positive voice in the mix and would encourage other Warcraft RTS fans to also post in this thread if they also support this decision.

Personally Warcraft 3 has been a staple of my time in video gaming.
My earliest online gaming memories are with this game, and I LOVE the original story.

I think this is the best decision Blizzard has made in a while, and I honestly was scared our voices were being ignored.
Especially with the way Reign of Chaos battle.net was shut down so abruptly.

But thank you Blizzard.

I also hope this might help show that Warcraft 4 is very much still a thing that we would like to see and are looking forward to someday!

PS: Please try to keep the toxicity out of this thread. If you can’t have an adult conversation without fighting eachother don’t post!

WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE CELEBRATING 25 YEARS OF WARCRAFT.
What other games can you say that about?

33 Likes

I doubt this is purely about feedback.

We’re drawing incredibly close to the end of the year and the beta just started. I think this is about them cutting a feature just so they could release on time.

The retcons weren’t going to be that in-depth anyway and we might still get the map changes.

14 Likes

I am fine with the vast majority of things they plan to do with updating the graphics.
So for example making Antonidus or Sylvannus and other characters have their own models rather than the generic Archmage and Archer.

But going back and changing / adding story and events that were not in the original game timeline. But were indeed added later in WoW is just wrong.

Warcraft has been standing for over a decade. I am grateful its events are being left alone :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Well, the events didn’t ever get retconned anyway. It’s entirely possible that aside from just wanting to get the game out this year, they also realized that they didn’t need to completely revoice all that dialogue because the overall story has not been retconned. Period.

Agreed. After seeing the new Night Elf models, i really feel like they are making my childhood come to life.

Especially because although i like WoW it has seriously butchered Warcraft 3 in order to make room for new Raids.

7 Likes

Aesthetic changes like Stratholme etc are welcome because they are on par with the HD graphics.

But story changes in order to make the original Warcraft 3 story retconned by WoW is an absolute NO to me.

WoW is WoW, Warcraft 3 is Warcraft 3.
WoW in Warcraft 3 = instant death for Warcraft 4

14 Likes

Yeah, I think we’re still getting the map changes and cameos. I think the only thing that got cut were the rewrites that would have required them to completely re-voice the whole game.

Voice acting takes a LOT of time. And money. And Blizzard’s running short on the first one.

1 Like

I very much believe with Undead and Night Elf not being in the game yet, that they will probably not be trying for full release this year.

I however didn’t get a Virtual Ticket etc
So if I am wrong there am happy to be corrected :smiley:

I shall let you know if you are. XD I’m a VT holder myself so I’ll be watching the panel when it goes live.

I was always of the belief that having a Reforged campaign would be an addition to the original campaign that people know and love.

Not a replacement, an addition

This opinion was why I was also of the opinion that any changes they wanted to make to the story in that particular version of the campaign would be interesting to see.
It’s also a reason as to why it makes me angry that people would make Blizzard tow the line on such things. If the original campaign is staying untouched, why would you care if they make a “WoW-friendly version” or not?

4 Likes

It’s simple.

These people just hate WoW. It’s a completely irrational response.

5 Likes

No.

These people wanna play the campaign with new models and graphics.
These people don’t need Reforged to play with old graphics.

1 Like

Reign of Chaos and World of Warcraft were just two years apart. They flipped Stratholme’s appearance, as the easily demonstrated go-to example for changes/retcons, in just two years. Hell, 7 years after Warcraft 2 they went back on what Stratholme looked like.
https://i.imgur.com/hT86P3l.png

A lot of these changes and additions that we might’ve seen, with most examples probably coming through in the RoC Human and Scourge campaigns, are a lot longer-standing than you’d think.

What I am saying is that - the events that happen in Warcraft playing out in the Campaign as if the player was WITNESSING the event.

That’s what we played and understood etc.

Going back years after WoW into Warcraft to add a character they put into WoW claiming he WAS THERE WHEN X played out and THIS WAS HIS ROLE IN IT.

When he was never THERE on the screen originally just does not make sense.

It’s the same argument I put forward with changing Tyrande’s hair in the older thread from Blue to whatever you call it now :smiley:
Back those “years” ago in the timeline they looked one way, you can’t just change it because they look different in WoW etc

2 Likes

there will be no “reforged campaign” it’s roc+tft campaign redone with reforged graphics and minor changes like changing the towns to look like wow towns or whatever.

if you think they were remaking the old campaigns and then adding a new wowish campaign you didnt read what you bought.

xhttps://playwarcraft3.com/en-us/
it’s right there

6 Likes

Except technically your WoW character still wasn’t there to begin with.

Thanks to how time travel works the Stratholme you were sent to was really more of an alternate reality than Back to the Future style “this is totally the past.”

…People need to stop using Back to the Future time travel as a reference.

From the leaked menu, we saw, that we can choose version of campaign
xhttps://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/875754.jpg

1 Like

Thank you for the screenshot, Minion!

you can choose the graphics, old or new

3 Likes

Sorry, I’m genuinely confused here and unable to parse out what you mean by this. That was always the case for Warcraft 3 and I’m not sure why it would be changed? They dropped that ‘player is a “canon” character’ (albeit incredibly nonspecific like a Terran Magistrate or Human Commander) device for the narrative after Warcraft 2 and Starcraft. Unless I’m misunderstanding.