Snowy Buildings

This is a minor thing, but at least it shouldn’t cause a controversy (I hope). I was playing Warcraft II a while back and remembered that the buildings had nice snowy skins in the ice maps. I was disappointed Warcraft 3 never did this, except maybe darken the textures a bit. I’m thinking with Reforged they have an opportunity to add snowy skins to structures when they’re in maps like Northrend or Icecrown, or perhaps (more complicated probably) they add in a simple-like weather system which adds snow on top of structures during snowfall and the such.

It shouldn’t mask the colors too much, you can look up the Warcraft II snowy textures for reference if that’s a concern. Curious on thoughts?

51 Likes

You know, I was just thinking about this last week and how much more like. Cozy, snug, and aesthetic it was.

Definitely wouldn’t mind it being done in Reforged. For any environment on top of snow/winter ones.

7 Likes

The neighbour across the block does an elaborate outdoor light setup every winter. Seeing outdoor decorations always reminds me of the christmas tree outside the Church in Warcraft 2 and the lights around the Gnomish Inventor.

9 Likes

I was thinking easter eggy things like that could remain, especially with neutral buildings like the Goblin Alchemist could have some lights on snowy maps. Racial structures might not want anything like that though, in case it looks distracting.

I strongly agree with this.

4 Likes

What about sunburn? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No jk, i like your idea!

well in those days when it was snowy outside, ingame too … that christmas tree near church, all snowy there, I think it was awesome.

4 Likes

This is an excellent idea!

5 Likes

My name is endorse and I Def_Glitch this notion

Agreed… I still remember the snowman in the orc’s blacksmith. So cool.
xxhttps://i.pinimg.com/originals/07/c8/8b/07c88b5a487c522da83d2191a79d08bd.png

3 Likes

it was easy in warcraft 2 that just used sprites. warcraft 3 is using models and textures. that is a lot more work. they would need to create separate models and textures for all buildings. on top of that they need to check what terrain they are on because warcraft 3 allows map makers to mix and match as they please. i support the idea however. i am just saying that it is difficult.

Can’t they add snow on top of the pre existent models?
The original building would be under the snow model

2 Likes

Well , we actually even now can add snow to the textures of buildings because there are mpq’s releated to each tileset and you can add skins to them that will be shown only on those tilesets (Beastmaster’s quilbeast uses this method), before 1.29 we were able to add directly a new model not just a texture but I can’t make it work since 1.29 for unkown reasons
TL;DR Blizzard can easily add this feature

4 Likes

Wow, glad for the support.

It’s a wholesome post.

1 Like

They did something like this on SC2. (nova missions on ice planets)

1 Like

Water elemental could turn to a ice elemental instead :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Nah its easy they did it in SC2 nova mission pack

2 Likes

This is probably the most important thing I didn’t know I needed in this game.
Do it, Classic team.

9 Likes

Definitely agree.

If they add it separately they could even let you give it a custom color in the editor - ash from volcano, sand, blood snow, etc.

Depending on how easy this is to do they could even do other things like swamp/jungle buildings, with lichen patches, creepers up walls, and scum around the base.

3 Likes