Reinforced Defenses vs Pandaren Brewmaster

Yesterday I had expo guarded by 4x orc towers (close placed eg. ::() with reinforced defence and spikes on), and one enemy Pandaren Brewmaste (level 4) breath fire twice on them and all 4 towers felt.
And was a matter of seconds, not that hero has invulnerability for 1 minute or hammering & healing in meantime for 2 min).

I double checked replay to make sure of Reinforced Defenses is ON before Pandaren arrived.
Something is not ok! Please don’t say that I am underperforming or noob!

Can you please reproduce and explain me what is going on?

that skill doesn’t do anything against panda fire breathing (which is where a lot of the damage he’s doing is coming from)

All it does is cause physical attacks against the building will do some damage back to the attacker. But it’s not really very much. Damage from spells and abilities will not trigger the effect.

2 Likes

You lie @CaptainJack or confuse again because you do not pay attention!

I said: Reinforced Defenses = Upgrades Burrows and Watch Towers so that they have Fortified armor.
So normally anything with Fortified armor, should stand (LAST LONGER) before fell down!

Spell damage deals full damage to everything except Hero (0.7) and Divine (0.05) armor. The numbers I provided are the damage fractions for spell damage against those armor types.

The few spells that do deal different damage to structures & units have their own field containing that multiplier–armor-type still doesn’t matter. This feature applies mostly to Blizzard and Rain of Fire. Death and Decay also has a building-damage multiplier, but it is 1 by default.

1 Like

Is not correct. so imagine any hero make any spells and fully fortified towers fall.
Except FS last earthquake spell, and maybe Volcano, other should not cause significant damage to towers + buildings.

I am telling you a Warden or DeathKnight or Blademaster , Potm, Mountain King, could not do such damage as Panderan did.

How can then I defend my expo then?

This is something that anyone can look up in the map editor. Look for advanced gameplay constants to see how each damage type is affected by armor.

Spells in particular deal full damage to everything except Hero or Divine armor. Spell damage is not affected by Unarmored, Small, Medium, Large, or Fortified armor. The only cases where Spells do reduced damage to buildings are cases where the spell either has a separate multiplier or the spell is unable to target buildings in the first place.

Death and Decay (Lich), Bladestorm (Blademaster), and Shockwave (Tauren Chieftain) are all excellent at destroying structures.

Rain of Fire and Blizzard are also decent at destroying structures that are clumped together, despite having a building reduction modifier as I described earlier.

The best way to defend bases is usually to respond with your army. Towers are tool to add time or inflict a little extra damage, they are not usually a solid defense.

If the enemy has AOE spells or siege units that can target buildings, then you should space your structures out to mitigate the effects of the enemy’s AOE.

3 Likes

Death and Decay (Lich), Bladestorm (Blademaster) - are ultimate spells, so please do not compare with Breath of fire (max level 2) on a Pandaren that is level 4.
Yes towers are to add extra time, to be able to respond and TP, so I did not expect Pandaren to die from their fire, but I expected them to last longer before fell down.

I suppose (hope at least) towers are immune to Drunken Haze + Breath of Fire combination - or maybe there are some serious bugs in Reforged that were not in old FT.
So is just not fair, Pandaren should be nerfed.

Remember, Tauren Chieftain with Shockwave are actually better at killing buildings than Brewmasters. Brewmasters really aren’t unique in terms of their ability to kill structures.

There are plenty of other spells that are good at destroying buildings, either directly or indirectly.

• Most AOE abilities (with only a few exceptions like Carrion Swarm or abilities that only target organics) deal full or partial damage to buildings.
  • Most summons can help destroy buildings.
  • Searing Arrows increases damage to buildings. Other arrow abilities do not affect buildings because of the debuffs that they would apply.

Drunken Haze only affects Organic units.

2 Likes

No one’s lying or confused, it isn’t really relevant in this context. Also this change only occurs for buildings that don’t already have building armor (which is just burrows and towers i think)

And as I said, spells

They are still spells and the same rules apply, so the comparison is valid. Bladestorm in particular was more designed for cutting a path through enemy units, but because it is spell damage, it works just as well against buildings.

You can’t cast drunken haze on buildings. But breath of fire does still work, just without the drunken haze bonus.

You can’t just say every strategy that works against you needs to be nerfed. Most strategies have counters. Only when no counter exists for a given strategy could it potentially be considered overpowered. But that uncounterable strategy still needs to be effective outside of whether or not it has a specific counter.

1 Like

Man, is not fair for 4 fully upgraded towers to fell in matter of seconds just because 1 Pandaren level 4 breathe fire 2x on them. Towers should last longer!!!

Spread your towers to mitigate AOE damage. That’s pretty much the same thing you would have to do against other spells like Shockwave, Earthquake, Volcano, a Frost Wyrm’s breath attack, and a host of other threats.

1 Like

This is why you don’t place them right next to each other…

Towers exist to buy time for your defense. not to be your sole line of defense. You still have to protect your base.

Clearly you’ve never played a game where someone won by just building a million towers and almost nothing else because it was too difficult to penetrate. Towers do not need to last longer.

3 Likes

Yes they need to last longer or have max damage or even both, check any game, start with Vanilla Frozen throne.
Then StarCraft human bunkers - strong and zerg spore + spine colonies - insane damage.
Or Age of Empires, byzantine towers (and I think French castles) - strong last very long.
Red alert - Tesla coils - insane damage and Yuri towers - hard to destroy.
Not to mention Dota, tower defense …

Towers don’t need either. They are perfectly fine as a supplemental defense.

Neither game’s towers will typically do well at holding off a decent army without support. Bunkers rely on mass-repair, and usually a wall-off to deal with relatively small numbers of units. Spore, Spine, Photon Cannons, and even Planetary Fortresses typically won’t last long against a medium or large attack group.

Age of Empires 2 has a lot more tech that changes the strength of units throughout the game. Castles and Towers are also balanced out by a separate resource that is limited or very expensive to obtain.

Dota and other MOBAs are balanced around teams of 5 players and very weak mobs. They are not comparable to an RTS where you can control large armies of units, including dedicated siege units and heroes.

3 Likes

I can’t even believe we’re throwing MOBAs into the equation. It’s an entirely different kind of game that happens to have a similar perspective and control scheme. But if you want to go down that route, in league of legends everyone gains huge amounts of power over the course of a match. The towers are only powerful defenders at the beginning of a game. they scale very lightly in strength compared to the players and many champions can delete a tower in a few hits at max level whereas at level 1 they can barely scratch them. It’s a completely different game dynamic and it isn’t a valid comparison at all.

3 Likes

So back to the subject, we have an imbalance, no hero should be able to kill towers that fast with few hits in few seconds.
Even Far Seer with ultimate ability L6 Earthquake is slower on destruction than a Pandaren Brewmaster using just a L2 breathe fire.

No, we don’t.

That is false. Earthquake deals 60 damage per second for 20 seconds, capping out at 1200 damage.
Breath of fire deals 65/125/170 damage. Earthquake will consistently deal more than Breath of Fire within just 3 seconds. Meanwhile, Breath of Fire has a 10 second cooldown. In that time, Earthquake deals 600 damage.

Shockwave, which we have established deals more damage to buildings (75/130/200), has an 8 second cooldown.

“one enemy Pandaren Brewmaste (level 4) breath fire twice on them and all 4 towers felt.” … First of all it takes more then 2 breaths. “Please don’t say that I am underperforming or noob!” You are, both.

1 Like

Yes 2 breathe fires = 250 damage, few hits and towers fall. Because 500 life each. And what is outrageous that Reinforced Defense did not help at all!

Ok, that is 4 hits, not 2, and it still takes longer to kill towers than Earthquake or Shockwave.

That is not “outrageous”. Fortified armor has never had any effect on spell damage.

All fortified armor does is increase damage from siege, and reduce damage from normal, piercing, hero, and magic damage.

2 Likes