Reforged Questions-Newb

Hi, just had a couple of questioned about warcarft 3 reforged

1. I bought reign of chaos and frozen throne about 5 years ago. Do I need to purchase reforged if I want to still play?
  2. Is battlenet available like on the previous game? Not really interested in the campaign but wanted to play some online games on the old battlenet servers

You can register the CD keys to your account, download Warcraft III Reforged and the play with classic (SD) graphics. If you brought a physical copy you need to register the CD Keys, or more specifically the Reign of Chaos CD Key as The Frozen Throne is not checked. If you brought online from Blizzard then this should have happened automatically so you should be good to go.

Yes Battlenet and multiplayer is still available, although when playing custom maps you will be limited to custom maps that support classic (SD) graphics only. This can be confusing as you will be automatically removed from any lobby for a map that forces Reforged (HD) graphics.

You do not need to purchase Reforged to play. But you won’t have access to the visual changes and such.

Reforged runs on the new modern battle.net, which was the primary and real purpose of Reforged in the first place. The old battle.net is in the process of being shut down, which will happen after Diablo 2 gets its “reforging.”

They’re not taking the old Bnet down after Resurrected is released. It’s being left up so that the premastered D2 can be played if people wish.

the “premastered” d2 will be part of remastered D2 just like with warcraft 3, and moved to the modern bnet. SC1 was moved to the modern bnet, war3 was moved to the modern bnet (whether you bought the remaster or not), so i’m going to have to call [citation needed] on your claim.

The same thing is going to happen that happened with war3, just that hopefully D2 actually delivers everything it promises and doesn’t remove features for non purchasers (SC1 reforged didn’t… this was a war3 exclusive screwup). The reason war3 crashed and burned so hard was because it didn’t deliver everything it promised, and non-purchasers lost game features (well, actually everyone lost game features, but this is why it was called a “forced downgrade” for nonpurchasers)

They aren’t handing D2R like SCR and WC3R. They are leaving the legacy D2 and its legacy Battlenet intact, completely separate from D2R and modern Bnet.

It’s widely known among the D2 fanbase, but as for a source, it was first announced at Blizzconline in the Diablo Deep Dive.

Does that mean it’s not going to be compatible with single player characters from D2 etc?

That I’m not sure of. I think there’s been some talk about that in the D2 forums, but I didn’t read closely enough to see if there was an answer to that. I’ll ask my Diablo MVP friend to see if they know.

Just speculating here, but if D2R is simply going to be a new engine built over top the original game like Bliz has been saying, it sounds like, at the very least, the characters should be manually copy over-able.

single player characters or open battle.net characters should be possible to copy. battle.net only characters is saved on battle.net and you need to ask blizzard support to copy them over. parts of this topic should however be split and moved to the diablo 2 forum.

Just heard back. Players will be able to import their local offline (single player) characters into D2R. Online characters won’t be importable.

single player characters can also be used online, through the open battle.net mode.

Yeah i read a story where they’re using vast majority of the original game code, just with a new graphics engine on top of it plus the (promised) features i.e. gamepad support, shared stash so you don’t have to jump through hoops to move gear around, etc.

Long as they don’t eff this up it excites me because I still like D2 better than D3 (even though D3 got a lot better later in its life)

diablo 3`s gameplay was kind of bad compared to diablo 2. diablo 4 goes back to diablo 2 gameplay however.

Diablo III’s gameplay was pretty good when it first released. Very much had that Diablo II feel to it from difficulty to mechanics.

However with the fiasco of the RMAH and then seemingly forgetting that “nerfing” stuff was an option, gameplay started to deteriorate after RoS was released. Now inflation is at comical levels and all difficulty has melted away.

At release, killing Diablo on Inferno difficulty was a real challenge (without “dual wielding credit cards” or abusing exploits) that any gamer could respect. Now Diablo on Monster Power 9,001 (or whatever it is up to) is annoying to fight because you spend most of the battle in unskippable cutscenes between one-shotting its stages.