Reconnection

How can it be that there is no way to reconnect or even give the change to do so, seriously all you need is bad luck and a pingspike of 500+ ms and it randomly dropps you out of a match/customgame.
Before reforged there was at least the waiting for players phase where you had a change of getting back into the game.
What reason is there that would make reconnect into a match impossible, if dota2 can do it im pretty sure blizzard can do it 100 times better

3 Likes

You mean today’s Activision Blizzard?

Unlikely.

1 Like

The game was originally designed as a peer to peer game, that’s why. While it uses proxies now to actual servers, the gameplay script relinquishes player control permanently (no way to change it) when a player leaves the game for any reason, whether it’s a disconnect or anything else. The game is 20+ years old and was never designed with being able to reconnect in mind.

When the game was originally fully peer-to-peer, whenever any clients stopped hearing from another one, the game would pause for a limited amount of time to see if they eventually get a response. But this generally only worked if you were experiencing severe lag, if your game crashed or you lost your connection entirely, you were still gone. The game has no capability for a player to join midway through a match.

Dota 2 wasn’t built on a mutli-decade old engine designed for another purpose, it was built on a new engine designed specifically for what its developers had in mind.

1 Like

gproxy, a third party tool, supported reconnecting to games in classic for bot-hosted games many years ago. I used it myself successfully back in the day. Your reasoning therefore is moot. It is possible and has already been done a long time ago. The only reason it doesn’t work is because the classic devs were busy screwing up other things and there being almost no one left working on it now.

1 Like

Third party tool hacks really don’t count. The game as it’s currently designed doesn’t allow for this to be possible. The core gameplay loop needs significant revisions to make this work. That’s not to say they couldn’t MAKE it possible, because yes, they could, obviously - nothing is truly impossible - but that would require significant developer time and we’re lucky there is any at all.

1 Like

comment to support the question

And why wouldn’t they count? If a single, third party tool developer can achieve something without access to the game’s source code, blizzard classic devs with access to the source code should be able to do it even more easily. You seem to be very strong on spreading your superficial knowledge without any proper reasoning nor expertise. Yes the game is peer 2 peer and uses deterministic lockstep - does this design prevent net based reconnections? No. The game can stop in its current state and wait for a reconnection to occur to continue. Other very old games did the same, e.g. AoE2. There is only a problem when the client crashes because then the game’s state would be lost. But even that could theoretically be worked around by replaying the entire game from a replay to reach the current state again which could be sent from the blizzard server to the client. But OP was specifically talking about reconnections after a network disconnect, which are the easy case to solve, have been solved by tools like gproxy and wouldn’t take a lot of developer time nor major revisions to the “core gameplay loop”.

1 Like

Just because some external person can invent a solution (which is essentially a hack, since they don’t have access to the game’s source code) doesn’t mean it can reasonably and easily be implemented in an official manner in the game’s code/script. Nothing is impossible, and thus I don’t need you to point out that something isn’t impossible. However, while it is not impossible, it may not be feasible with the staff and budget available to the game to implement it in a proper manner.

1 Like

That reasoning makes no sense, again. But I guess you like doing that.

Eh, I see it making a lot of sense. With enough budget, it could definitely happen, but as it stands, the game is held together with spit, duct tape and toothpicks glued together with a professional Warhammer miniature painter’s tiniest brush to form the shape of a crutch.

You stating that it doesn’t make sense doesn’t make it actually not make sense. I’m sorry you don’t understand my reasoning, but it’s not my reasoning that’s flawed, its your understanding of it.

It takes a lot of work, time and money to implement any feature to a professional standard. Even if some hobbyist modder can make something happen, it is unlikely to have the same level of polish or overall quality as the same feature in a professionally produced product. And I’m speaking generally here, not specifically within the context of this game.

When you have to pay (combined) a dev team thousands of dollars each day, the cost for even a simple feature adds up.

I mean its not like they need to start from scratch, in old wc3 there was the waiting for player feature which at least gave the chance to reconnect, now there is just nothing, you get a single high pingspike and get randomly dropped by the game (not even out of bnet just out of the game you wanted to enjoy)
sometimes that was annoying but it got accepted and helped alot since wc3 bnet always was unstable

1 Like

Still doesn’t change the fact that gproxy was able to make reconnect function 15-20 years ago with the same wc3 game engine. Surely it should be possible to add a similar or a better reconnect ability than what gproxy did?

Reforged doesn’t even use the same system for networking that was used 15-20 years ago, as it now uses servers that proxy for the players, which among other things makes cross region play possible.

The rest is as I said, just because somebody hacked up an external soloution doesn’t mean that it can easily be professionally done for little cost. And that’s an important factor.

Frankly I’m of the mind that even if it is made to work that it isn’t really going to be worth it most of the time. If a player sees that you’re not there they’re just going to target you and you’ll probably be dead when you come back. W3R doesn’t penalize you for leaving or disconnecting like most online games do today anyway, so it really just isn’t that big of a deal in the first place.

1 Like

Sometimes wc3 just disconnects you even though your internet is perfectly fine, happens to me and several others that I know. A reconnect function would help alleviate that issue.

If people want fair fights they could also pause, instead of having to do a restart where both parties lost 30 min or more.

I don’t really see how reconnect function isen’t a good feature to have in any game.

Reforged doesn’t use the same system for networking, before I believe it used the host. If the host DC’ed, then I assume it would assign next in slot to be the host. Now it uses a server for a proxy for the players, how is that any harder? Surely it would be even easier to do when blizzard server is the proxy like you said?

Reconnect function would be a major good feature to have for better competitive tournament play, melee and custom game. It would in turn make the game way more enjoyable and might bring some players back because of it.

1 Like

I’ve never had an issue like this, and lots of people who claim “their internet is perfectly fine” in fact have some kind of issue on their end (or on the route they’re taking) that isn’t obvious when browsing the web or doing other things. Regardless, this isn’t a trivial feature to add and we’re not likely to see it happen.

While I do question the utility of this, that is of course just my opinion, but what’s not my opinion is the amount of investment and effort ActivisionBlizzard is willing to invest into this. We were quite fortunate to get a few features added like the camera zoom, but that was basically a matter of changing some numbers and modifying the options menu (which is webUI and easy to change. I don’t see this happening.

oh comme on cut the crap with considering amount of inestment and effort, they decided to take up developement on a 20 year old game so they should go 100% trought with it and support that game to its best, blizzard is not just a random crap company, if they decide to ‘‘reforge’’ a game they have to deliver something better, especialy when they incerase the price for said game again.
you cant just say ‘‘its not worth it’’ when THEY decided they wanted to put in work again
anything else are just cheap excuses

They may have decided to go back and deliver the patches they had already been preparing when the team was fired, yes. But that doesn’t mean they were preparing to invest buckets of extra money in it. A lot of that work had already been done.

2 Likes

Yeah, all they have left to do is to tweak it.