PTR 1.36.1.20652 - Massive campaign bug regression

The state of the campaign has been reverted to 1.32. All changes made in 1.33 are completely lost as of 1.36.1. There’s another thread about it but it has the wrong title (“absent in 1.32.6” PTR).

Latest round of PTR fixes just dropped and this is still not fixed, so I’m making another thread with a clear title in case it was missed. All changes made to the campaign in 1.33 are absent as of 1.36.1. Please fix this!

1 Like

If you read the latest PTR patch notes you can see that this was an intentional change from Blizzard’s side (not one that I agree with, mind).

• Due to instabilities in the campaign as a result of numerous AI and scripting changes we are rolling back changes that were previously made in 1.33

Wtf they snuck that in there. What the hell!! They claim they fixed the weather effect crashes and the save folder crashes–the only campaign crashes–and then also go ahead and get rid of the whole work? With absolutely no hint or promise to do anything about it?

The 1.33 patch fixed innumerable bugs. What “scripting” and “AI” issues have they encountered that are harder to fix than all the fixes the 1.33 patch did, like how some maps did not have a Hard mode whatsoever? You were on Hard but playing Normal.

This was pretty much the only good thing Blizzard has added that wasn’t just fixing the problems Reforged added. It made the campaign actually interesting to replay post-Reforged. Now it’s back to being a buggy mess and far easier than it was pre-Reforged. Thanks.

There is just no possible justification reverting the 1.33 changes over fixing it. The 1.33 changes were a net positive in all respects. Also apparently all the audio fixes are also gone. This is a disaster. How in the whole wide world is it better off reintroducing dozens of bugs?! Did they not realize the Reforged campaign was an even bigger buggier mess with back in 1.32?

3 Likes

This update included:

• Difficulty updates to every mission (RoC, TFT, Rexxar), on all three difficulties
  • Some of the audio pass, affecting in-game, cutscenes, and music
  • Accessibility pass for Story Mode, allowing for the differently abled and those new to RTS games to enjoy the campaign
  • Numerous bug fixes to the legacy campaign, such as it not rebuilding, heroes not being used, broken AI files, spells not being used, and missing unit introductions. There are also DEBUG cheats left on from development, and potential for certain cutscenes to break.
  • A lore pass correcting numerous inconsistencies such as team color, names, and visual upgrades to certain maps such as Dalaran (this list was provided by the lore community in great part)
  • Fixes to FaceFX portraits

All of this will be lost, and the campaign will be in an objectively worse state. There are no crashes associated with AI files. The crashes are caused by HD weather effects, as tested and fixed locally by disabling them.

Edit: I’m sure it’s been missed, but the other cause of crashes is having many auto-generated save files in the documents folder. Delete them and it’s likely to stop the crashes.

5 Likes

Seems like it would make a lot more sense to fix the changes rather than revert them, but what do I know

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. They should fix rather than revert.

They are using internet mindset for game developing. Rolling back / reversion is for a fast fix, not blocking users from normal flow. But in warcraft, it’s been months! Many a player has been affected, and then they want to revert, to a version that is NOT stable at all. In fact, since 1.29 there’s no “stable” version of warcraft, thousands of bugs found without a fix, so there shouldn’t be any reversions made to this game.

2 Likes

If this change goes through I think I’m done with Reforged. It’s over, if they had any intention of bringing it back, working on it, or working on an alternative they’d have said so.

1 Like

A note for any developer:

• Campaign crashes are also caused by many save files in the documents folder.
  • Deleting most of them has stopped crashing for some people.
  • This is a legacy bug, but because the checkpoint system did not exist in 1.31, it was rare.
  • You could probably solve this by limiting auto-save files to 10 max.
1 Like

Blizzard, please, don’t go through with this…

1 Like

I’m a little surprised to see these responses- not because it’s a bad idea to revert rather than fix, but because I didn’t think people originally approved of the campaign changes \in the first place. I’ve seen a fair few complaints about how hard the hard mode campaign is now (even though I think that’s a good thing), and I’ve certainly seen a million complaints about the crashing.

It absolutely should be fixed rather than reverted. However, if the reversion is just a temporary solution while fixing the campaign issues is worked on, then I could understand it.

It’s worth adding here that in the general discussion thread about whether Reforged is worth playing/buying, one of the biggest arguments made against it is the campaign crashes/problems (the other one being the 1.36 performance issues).

Also: For hopefully obvious reasons, this guy knows what he’s talking about, and this particular issue has a rather easy solution…

(Also my idea related to this: Simply automatically delete checkpoint saves upon successful completion of a mission.)

1 Like

It’s not temporary.

I’d have no problem if they said it was them taking it away until they finetune things out. But they didn’t, so the meaning is clear.

However, the complaints about the campaign have all been crashes–specifically two crashes KamGhostseer pointed out the details of and are irrelevant to the campaign changes.

In the changelogs, they claim they fixed the underlying issues–even mentioning that weather was a threading issue that was fixed–so you’d think there’d be no more crashes with or without the 1.33 campaign. Why they removed it is beyond me, considering the 1.32 campaign is incredibly bugged… I have very few hopes they intend to fix the Reforged campaign to the degree the 1.33 campaign fixed it.

It’s throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The only thing that people complain about with respect to difficulty are some complaints that the reduced access to gold forces you to play a specific way. It doesn’t, it’s simply that some people instead of trying to find the correct way to play bruteforce their way by turtling–the only miscalculation is that the game lets them win this way which fools them into believing it’s the correct (and indeed, boring) strategy.

And let’s say these complaints are high priority for some reason and the team handling WC3R is too busy to actually address the underlying problem. Why not just revert the gold mines?! Why revert the whole 1.33 campaign?? It would take one person just a few hours!

1 Like

Well feel free to keep making more noise on this then. as I’ve responded to other unrelated issues, the solution to a problem is never to simply undo things, the solution to a problem is actually fix the problem.

1 Like