Prove You're More Than Just An Activision Clone

Now that you’re free from Bobby’s child-loving grasp, why don’t you guys prove that you’re actually interested in making your games good instead of just profitable and fix WC3? I tried getting into the game again recently and I just can’t. Between the constant crashes, the undelivered promises and outright lies, I just can’t.

Personally I don’t think you all will. I think you guys are just as bad and will continue to be just as bad without Activision in control as when they were.

1 Like

Microsoft probably doesn’t even know they have this. And like hundreds of people got fired from the Activision offices, so I don’t really see anything changing, other than a hint from months ago that they would review Activision’s back catalogue.

Like anyone else would be, MS is looking to the future, not the past, so the best you can hope for is that they don’t make the same stupid mistakes with future titles.

I was trying to prove that I want to make the game good but I just kept getting paid more for something else other than the game. [My unrelated day job.]

So, I rewrote my emulator of Warcraft 3 and hosted it on the Microsoft GitHub platform for open source code projects (https://github.com/Retera/WarsmashModEngine) but it’s not finished. Recently some nice guys were interested in it and wanted to talk to me, but I got hard to contact because I tried to stop using abusive technology and only use free and open source technology instead. And that makes me hard to contact. I haven’t quite found a good system for human communication that isn’t evil yet.

Anyway, so, I’m not promising that I’m a good person, but I’m a warcrafty person. By rewriting this almost working replica of the game, I would reckon that I proved I am more warcrafty than Phil Spencer and all his billions of dollars. And no matter how many billions they have, whether they hire me or not, doesn’t change that I proved this.

So in the end they have no incentive to hire me to help with Warcraft 3, similar to how you have no incentive to be interested in my project instead of the official game.

Maybe once you accept this cycle, and the ethics of who you think you’re writing to versus who is really there, you can find peace knowing that your frustration is the product of some social media whatsits coupled with your decision to run the code from Bobby Kotick on your computer instead of The Frozen Throne from 2003 (or instead of my code, for example).

Edit: for more of my parody stories and Warsmash gameplay footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsTtrlOPHB0

1 Like

Reforged was made by the same company that sells WoW mounts for more than Reforged the game. The fact that the product works at all is a testament to the insane dedication of the skeleton crew of one or two employees that were allowed to keep working on Reforged when Bobby and his financial metrics said that Reforged was worthless. The guy wanted to keep making it anyway, because he liked the game.

But it turns out that Frozen Throne is a property-map based technology, which means that maintaining the software is more likely to only be doable by the people who wrote it. Love and passion alone aren’t enough.

So, accordingly, nothing Phil Spencer and the boys can do will make you feel that it is fixed. Their best bet for fixing the problem is banning the old CD version of the game on Windows 11, so that you forget how much better it is than Reforged.

If you want to work against that, put your Warcraft III CD into your CD-ROM drive, and play the game as much and as often as possible, to rebel.