Problem hosting my custom map - all player slots are missing

I used to create a lot of custom maps for Warcraft III in the mid 2000’s. I was eagerly excited to go back to all of my old custom maps and experience trying them out again on Reforged, only to find out that when I attempt to host these maps, a technical problem occurs where all of the player slots are missing except for one open slot which remains empty. My account does not fill the one open slot that is there, and it says there are 0/1 players in the game. All of the other player slots which are supposed to be there are not showing up, which then leaves me with no options other than to cancel the game since no one (not even me, the host) can join the game. Attempts to play the map on single player also result in an “error” message box.

Most of these old maps load fine in the Warcraft III World Editor, although some of them are halted by an error message stating “Trigger data missing or invalid.” which then crashes and shuts down the World Editor program.

I really need a solution here, cause I literally put hundreds upon hundreds of hours into all my old maps, even had an old map building clan that I would test them out with. Only a small hand full of my old maps seem to be allowing me to host them successfully. Some technical help would be greatly appreciated!

The missing slots is a symptom of a map script error. Possibly you used the type cast exploit back then which no longer works. If the maps are openable then they can be fixed with some work.

The “Trigger data missing or invalid.” error is either caused by map protection removing the editor only trigger data or by using a third party World Editor extension such as World Editor Unlimited.

I remember now I used map protect on one of the old maps, and I was able to find my unprotected copy buried in the folder. But as for one of the maps (the most important one) there appears to be a completely different error message when loading it in worldedit:

-Trigger function does not exist in database: TriggerRegisterPlayerEvent

I did not ever use map protection on this file. For the maps that are opening fine in worldedit, I suppose I could try to salvage them by saving and importing the custom object data and such to a new map. But as for the one map that is refusing to open in worldedit, what is the remedy to that? I put a lot of work into it and would really like to try it out on reforged.

No need to do this. Make a backup and try saving the map again in the current World Editor. It should tell you what is wrong with the trigger scripts so you can fix it, or at least seek help.

Sounds like a third party GUI extension was used, likely World Editor Unlimited. I think someone made a tool that will “fix” such maps by converting the third party editor GUI data into custom script compatible with the current editor, or at least removing the offending lines for manual fixing of the trigger logic.

Opening the loadable maps on worldedit and saving them again doesn’t present any error messages, nor tell me what is wrong. They simply refuse to play in the actual game when attempting to host.

Would you happen to know more about this tool you speak of? I don’t even know where to begin when it comes to what is wrong with the script, or how to fix it. Searching online hasn’t yielded any answers to this either, so far.

For WEU GUI extension such a tool was made here.

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/tool-make-weu-maps-openable-we.306122/

I would recommend asking on Hive Workshop as a lot of skilled map makers frequent that site. If you want a more personal chat then there is the Hive Workshop discord also frequented by a lot of skilled mappers.