PKB effects probably cause crashes

In many tests with big amount of units and big sized maps of HD mode I noticed that chance to crash is less if there are no missiles with PKB’s are used.
Also the World Editor Errors didn’t promt anything related to PKB before 1.34 patch.

its worth knowing that Rain pkb effect also causes crashes, which is reported in the other bugreport.

Please Rebake PKB files of the Reforged archive to improve game stability.

5 Likes

Hi Activision and/or its affiliates,

I am Retera, author of the Retera Model Studio program from Hive Workshop that fans use to modify the Reforged 3D model files. Of the userbase of people making things with the Retera Model Studio, Tamplier is someone who as far as I know has spent longer being passionate about trying to create custom Reforged content than I have. He and his team of friends who work on the Chronicles of the Second War campaign for Reforged are – from what I could tell – some of the most passionate Reforged-graphics map makers.

The patch that your new team(s) released on August 17th, 2022 that introduced a bunch of issues with PKB file usage and probably caused the crash that Tamplier is experiencing here probably has a financial impact on disincentivizing users to run with the Reforged graphics, and is also probably responsible for some of the myriad of built-in Reforged Campaign mission crashes that have been reported on the tech support and bug report forums.

If your company decides to “sink the ship” of the Reforged graphics by ignoring these types of issues, less and less users will want to buy the Reforged graphics if they realize that they can play the entire Reforged client on the “classic” mode using their old Frozen Throne CD keys, and that the actual “Reforged” graphics mode is losing support and functionality over time like this.

As a technologist who created third party programs that these custom map developers try to use for Reforged, when they encounter issues like this and eventually end up asking someone like me for help, the only advice I find myself able to give is:

• To continue to ask Activision to restore newly lost functionalities that the 2020 Reforged client had upon release. This is up to Activision; I cannot restore features for them.
  • To supplant their “Reforged” graphics game components with “Classic” graphics components that actually remain functional after the 2022-2023 patch cycle

From a distance, you leave me with the feeling that it is those users who cling to your newer Reforged product the closest who are getting burned the most but I have personally remained primarily a “classic graphics” user and have not adopted these newfangled systems as much as someone like Tamplier.

In summary, I doubt that you will have the time to read my message but I hope that you take Tamplier’s post seriously.
Thanks,
~Retera (developer of Retera Model Studio)

1 Like

yes PKB effects must be fixed because it’s causing headaches to us HD modders

za boosting !

The campaign map crashes are related to weather effects, which are pkb effects. Please rebake them.