Patch 1.32.5: Are you guys actually trolling now?

Zero details have been given, so citatiion needed

Remember that time you posted something and then I found blue posts that proved what you claimed never happened and you just ignored that?

Ironic.

4 Likes

No, I legitiamtely don’t. still waiitng for the citation.

Not that it really matters anyway. New engine, new code, stuff has to be made from scratch, even if it’s pixel for pixel going to look and act the same (which it already doesn’t, as MMR doesn’t work the same)

Gotta go through their blue posts so I can find it and you can duck out of admitting you’re wrong again.

1 Like

I have no problem with people posting actual proof that actually proves things. But even if a blue actually said something resmbling what you’re claiming, you’ve likely twisted it to sound more like how you want it to sound so you can complain, rather than sounding like the actual intent of the comments.

As I said above, even if what you say is true, that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t take a lot of work to reimplement from scratch.

I did misread your comment, I thought you meant “exactly as it was before” rather than “exactly as in SC/SC2/some other game”. Again, even if it’s 100% exactly the same doesn’t mean it doesn’t have to be rebuilt to work with different data structures, different game code, different basically everything.

https://gaming-tools.com/warcraft-3/reforged-blizzcon-2019/

“Another area of concern we’re seeing is regarding online features such as leaderboards and clans, which applies to all Warcraft III players, including those who haven’t purchased Reforged. At BlizzCon we talked a lot about how the team is actively working on standing up the back-end to ensure a smooth transition to this new MMR system, much like we did with StarCraft: Remastered. As with Remastered, these and other features will be included in a major patch for Reforged, which will also address the issue for players of the original game. We’ll share release plans as work progresses in the coming weeks—please be assured that the team is hard at work on standing these features up.”

So they admit at Blizzcon 2019 that the system will be like SCR, they then admit months later the same thing, but have reneged on actually having ladder in at launch

2 Likes

Like I said, that’s fine, but just because they’re creating a system that functions the same, doesn’t mean it doesn’t require lots of work to implement in a differnet game.

I do respect you actually backing up your statements rather than talking out your behind.

Again, I don’t know who or what Pad is, but i doubt it is as robust or feature complete to blizzard’s system, w hich will undoubtedly have stats tracking that Pad doesn’t easily have access to.

An external tool just has to read data. A system actually built into the game has a lot more behind it. UIs and server systems that require script and code designed to work with the script and code that’s already there, etc. etc. and the burdern of functionalness from a professional developer is higher, especailly with the amount of nerdrage from the reforged release, they know they can’t release it half broken and expect player revolt round 2.

An external tool also isn’t as trustworthy or reliable and is more open to abuse.

And yet Pad got it to work in under a week? A single person, who has a job, in his spare time.

If it’s so damn hard, they should just hire him.

5 Likes

You really don’t understand how software development works do you?

Excuse me, Mr Plumber, why has it taken you 3 months to fix my plumbing?

4 Likes

Excuse me jr. electrician, why has it taken you a week to do what takes a professional electrician three?

Because the professional with the degree has higher standards that they must follow.

some guy can slap together an external ladder system in a week has no bearing whatsoever on how easy or hard a professional job built into a commercially released product HAS to be.

WC3 Reforged
Higher Standards

Pick one.

5 Likes

Even the most flawed and failed commercial releases have more work that went into them than you would care to acknowledge. And i’m beyond a doubt certain that the problems with Reforged were administrative in nature, not bad work done by poor development workers.

Again, you’re comparing apples and oranges.

Ok so lets go through what they have to implement based on what they said they wanted to implement.

Global matchmaking, instead of gateways. That exists, existed on launch. It’s horrible, but it exists.

MMR, it exists. Again it’s horrible, but it exists.

So what’s left? You have an MMR system, you have a system to find players based on that MMR, so they need to implement a system that gives points based on said MMR win/loss and a page in the menus to show said points? Because you know they’ve got all the metrics measured out already for them in SCR.

You think that should take 6+ months to implement?

3 Likes

You’ve got multiple UI screens and systems, you have client server networking communication stuff, you have stats databases (it’s not just MMR), you have security issues, it is nowhere near as simple as you think or want it to be. Yes, they could get it “working” in the time given, but working completely with all potentially abusive issues and problems removed?

Stop pretending you know how software development works and how long it takes to make things. You don’t even know how many people are actively on the project at this time, how many of them are programmers and database enginners and UI deisgners, and how many other things they also have to work on beyond just the ladder system itself. Everything has to be tested and sent back and tested again, and btw this is all being done work-from-home style, which drastically slows down development. If COVID-19 wasn’t a thing maybe it would be ready now.

And yes: I know because I’m actively working with a studio on a game to be retail released. They are all working from home now and it is drastically slowing down their work, forcing delays they wouldn’t have had otherwise.

It is affecting all corners of game development. The next major patch for FFXIV, for instance, which was due to come out in june, is now delayed by a month, possibly more, because of the crisis. They and all software developers deserve more slack during this time. They’re lucky to still be able to work.

2 Likes

Ah yes, the thing that existed in Blizzcon 2019 when they said ladder would be ready by launch, the same launch they pushed back an entire month. Covid-19 is what’s stopping it being out, yep.

6 Likes

are you really that thick?

I’m beyond a doubt certain that if the development team had their way, the game would not have been relaesed when it was. That was activision/corporate/whatever.

You really are insufferable. I don’t give a blank what happened at blizzcon 19. The game wasn’t done at the launch date they were forced to commit to. neither you nor me nor anyone else knows exactly what state this feature was in on that date. And things have changed a lot since then. You’re either clueless or being intentionally obtuse.

I get it, you need something to be mad at. Everyone is mad, but it dosn’t change the fact t hat it wasn’t done at release and clearly other things, like the game not crashing or not working every 5 minutes, which was likely a higher priority than the ladder system. I assume you haven’t forgotten how the game was barely even functional on the release date. The last several patches were all just making the game itself more functional and presentable, so how much actual work was being done on the ladder system when programmers and whatnot were needed to fix the mountain of gamebreaking bugs is anyone’s guess.

(Just you think i’m in here to kiss blizzard’s behind, I’m not. I just know what working on games and software actually entails, I understand how they blanked up, and what they had to do in the month and a half after launch)

1 Like

citation needed

Blizzard said they’d have ladder at launch, they haven’t. Everything you’re saying is mere speculation. If Blizzard was more open about things, then maybe I’d try to understand, but atm, they’re full of broken promises and no communication.

It’s almost like you can implement Naga footprints AND tell people what’s going on with the ladder system. And no, saying “soon” then 7 weeks later saying “soon” again isn’t telling people.

Then don’t promise it.

5 Likes

Rushed releases are always the publisher’s fault. Always.

1 Like

I haven’t seen where they promised exactly when the ladder would be ready.

See, this is another thing people don’t understand about game devleopment. The people who fixed those footprints are not the same people who make ladder systems work. Game development teams are called game development TEAMS for a reason, different people work on different things.

Should the art/graphics people stop working just because the programmers need to work on the ladder system? No.

1 Like