Offline mode without AirPort/Wifi

I used to play Warcraft3 on long plane rides, where I’d have no internet whatsoever and my laptops airport/wifi was OFF. I notice that for Warcraft 3 reforged, if I have my wifi enabled, I can open BattleNet and if my auto-log-in is off, I can choose to access Battlenet in offline mode, and from there everything works offline as intended (i.e., i open warcraft 3 reforged, the main menu launches and it’s in offline mode). The problem is, if I turn OFF my wifi/airport, and then try the EXACT same steps, it doesn’t work. With no Wifi/airport on, when I access Battlenet, I can’t click on offline mode anywhere. And then when I launch the game, I get an ERROR immediately (“Error in processing the request”), and then the only game buttons I see are “OPTIONS”, “EXIT GAME” (both clickable), and then “PLAY OFFLINE”, which is greyed out and unclickable. It appears that you need Wifi to first be able to access offline mode! What kind of stupid design is this??? Does anybody know how to play offline with Wifi/airport turned off?

For the launcher, if there’s no internet the login UI has a dropdown (an icon of a gear iirc) where you can choose to continue without logging in. But you need to be logged out of the launcher to see that UI.

As for the game itself, when was the last time you logged the game into Battlenet? There’s a DRM that locks out offline mode if it hasn’t been logged into Battlenet after a certain amount of time.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll clarify:

If my Wifi is on, I can hop into battlenet, click the wheel icon and enter battlenet ‘offline’, or without logging in. From there, I can launch the game and indeed hit the “PLAY OFFLINE” button. No problem at all… when my Wifi is on.

When I do those EXACT same steps, but with Wifi off… the game button for “PLAY OFFLINE” is greyed out and unclickable.

The bad solution I figured out this morning is that if I know I’m going to a non-wifi area, like a plane… I can first, WITH wifi, login to battlenet and warcraft… then once in the game, log-out to be in offline mode… and THEN put my laptop to sleep. When I wake it up, I can turn off my Wifi, and I’m set… so long as I don’t accidentally exit the application. But this is still asinine. I need Wifi in order to access the offline mode properly! Why???

That’s the strange part. Assuming nothing has changed, not too long ago once the game was logged into Battlenet, it would allow offline play for some amount of time (two weeks or so last time I tried it) even if the game was closed.

You’ve got curious now though. When I’m home, I’m going to try your steps and see if the same thing happens to me.

Hey Viper.

I gave it a try repeating your steps and I was able to click “Play Offline” with my wireless disabled. I did get the ‘error handling your request’ pop up but I was able to dismiss it and continue to the game. So I’m not sure why you’re system is stopping you under those conditions. :frowning: